Impact of Queen Elizabeth's Passing on Cruises in the U.K. and Commonwealth?

melody-s

With respect to a great lady and to the historical nature of events, I was wondering if anyone who is knowledgeable in this area can advise those of us on current and upcoming trips in the U.K. and commonwealth. What can we reasonably expect with regards to businesses and activities over the next couple of weeks?

1 hour ago, melody-s said:

With respect to a great lady and to the historical nature of events, I was wondering if anyone who is knowledgeable in this area can advise those of us on current and upcoming trips in the U.K. and commonwealth. What can we reasonably expect with regards to businesses and activities over the next couple of weeks?

I don't think there will be any significant impact, apart from the day of the funeral itself (date to be confirmed,  but in about two weeks from now) when many businesses will shut, or have limited ooening hours.

Mind you, it is over 70 years since the last British monarch died,  so it is all new to the vast majority of us Brits. 

The wikipedia page summarizing plans for this event is already being actively updated, inlcuding with other commonwealth country plans - if you're in one of the Commonwealth Realms, the 32(IIRC) states which actually share the same Monarch, then those will definitely have the equivalent of a 'bank holiday' on the day of the funeral, and many of the other nations might do similar.

For tourists, the biggest issue will be individuals who choose to e.g. stay home and watch on TV, or even travel to the funeral. Any of these folks who are business owners might be closed just because they want to be, not because they have to be - and there are a lot of very, very fanatical Royalists around. We were staying in a B&B in York when Princess Di died, and the owner basically told us we were on our own for breakfast for the rest of the stay but she'd give us some money back - every time we were in the house the next two days all we could hear was sobbing and wailing from the room to her suite...

Given that this is the first Commonwealth ruler to have died in 70 years there really isn't a relevant past case to look at - things will definitely be different from George VIs time, the world has moved on and even the arcane rules of the monarchy hqave been overhauled significantly since then. With bonus bank holidays given for the jubilee in various countries, there might be more than one day of shut-downs - but essential things like airports, piers will of course still be open, and the Republican nations of the commonwealth might do nothing except some half-mast flag-flying.

I doubt that anyone on or embarking a cruise will be affected at all, except on the day of the funeral itself. I would expect all public transportation would be on a weekend/ holiday schedule and most shops and institutions closed that day, which should be on or about the 18th.

Edited by mom says

2 hours ago, mom says said:

I doubt that anyone on or embarking a cruise will be affected at all, except on the day of the funeral itself. I would expect all public transportation would be on a weekend/ holiday schedule and most shops and institutions closed that day, which should be on or about the 18th.

Our Alaska itinerary leaves from Vancouver on the 18th...Flying in day of cruise...I'm assuming we won't be impacted...right ???

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Our Alaska itinerary leaves from Vancouver on the 18th...Flying in day of cruise...I'm assuming we won't be impacted...right ???

No, my post was referring to the UK. I doubt there will be widespread ( or any, really) closures in Canada. The flags will be at half mast during the mourning period, but that's about it.

• Thanks 1

Only if there's a public holiday declared for the funeral (for places outside the U..K.).  If there is one for Canada, government and banks will be closed but everything else open, and private-sector employers royally (colloquial word for annoyed).because they'll have to pay extra time for employees to work in a tight labour market.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Given that you won't be doing any tours, visiting sites etc. but just moving directly between the two 'Essential Services' of the airport and pier, you should see no real impact even if the state funeral is scheduled for that day...

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest change will be more tourists in London . We have been to London twice for a few days before a cruise. Every time great events take place in London my wife gets the bug to go back. I suspect many others are the same . B.T.W if you have never been it is great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martincath said:

Given that you won't be doing any tours, visiting sites etc. but just moving directly between the two 'Essential Services' of the airport and pier, you should see no real impact even if the state funeral is scheduled for that day...

I know you're probably tired of answering my ArriveCan questions...but another one please?

If chosen for random testing will there be a list of location options? It might be easier since we have private transportation booked to opt for a location closest to Canada Place. If so do you happen to know where that might be?

We leave next Sunday so I promise I'll try not to call upon you again.

You've been so patient and helpful and I very much appreciate all of your knowledge.

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I know you're probably tired of answering my ArriveCan questions...but another one please?

If chosen for random testing will there be a list of location options? It might be easier since we have private transportation booked to opt for a location closest to Canada Place. If so do you happen to know where that might be?

We leave next Sunday so I promise I'll try not to call upon you again.

You've been so patient and helpful and I very much appreciate all of your knowledge.

Thanks again.

Yes, there are other locations downtown - but they require appointments made...

Since you have booked private transpo, just have them take you to the Walk-In clinic on Sea Island (6084 Russ Baker Way). You'll still have to create a profile with LifeLabs FlyClear program - you can do this in advance if you really want to check off all the possible boxes, but they can also help you in the clinic. If you do decide to book an appointment elsewhere, you can do that through the FlyClear website - just be sure that you are booking a gov't mandated Arrival test (free!) and not their private 'I need a test to go somewhere' tests (very much not free!). The link should take you straight to the correct section, which begins:

The Government of Canada has selected you for on-arrival COVID-19 testing.

So, what’s next?

As to getting to the lab - if it's a taxi, the fixed rate fares are required to let you have a stop en route ($5 extra, but if you go over 5mins they can add the regular wait time rate on top) - Limo rules are not quite the same, but you will be paying over the odds already due to the statutory legal minimum fare being for a full hour so limo drivers tend to be more lenient than cabbies... on a regular traffic day a 20min stop still means you're paying for more limo time than you actually need to get to the pier!

And unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be back to answer any questions until after your cruise - I just picked my mum up from the airport and she's with me until Sep 19th, so I won't be online much as I revert to an in-person tour guide for the next ten days!

46 minutes ago, martincath said:

Yes, there are other locations downtown - but they require appointments made...

Since you have booked private transpo, just have them take you to the Walk-In clinic on Sea Island (6084 Russ Baker Way). You'll still have to create a profile with LifeLabs FlyClear program - you can do this in advance if you really want to check off all the possible boxes, but they can also help you in the clinic. If you do decide to book an appointment elsewhere, you can do that through the FlyClear website - just be sure that you are booking a gov't mandated Arrival test (free!) and not their private 'I need a test to go somewhere' tests (very much not free!). The link should take you straight to the correct section, which begins:

The Government of Canada has selected you for on-arrival COVID-19 testing.

So, what’s next?

As to getting to the lab - if it's a taxi, the fixed rate fares are required to let you have a stop en route ($5 extra, but if you go over 5mins they can add the regular wait time rate on top) - Limo rules are not quite the same, but you will be paying over the odds already due to the statutory legal minimum fare being for a full hour so limo drivers tend to be more lenient than cabbies... on a regular traffic day a 20min stop still means you're paying for more limo time than you actually need to get to the pier!

And unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be back to answer any questions until after your cruise - I just picked my mum up from the airport and she's with me until Sep 19th, so I won't be online much as I revert to an in-person tour guide for the next ten days!

Thank you so very much. Enjoy your time with mum!

13 hours ago, dolittle said:

I think the biggest change will be more tourists in London . We have been to London twice for a few days before a cruise. Every time great events take place in London my wife gets the bug to go back. I suspect many others are the same . B.T.W if you have never been it is great.

Put me on that list. I'm getting the urge to visit London for the coronation. I was there the week before the Jubilee celebrations and London never looked better. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, melody-s said:

What can we reasonably expect with regards to businesses and activities over the next couple of weeks?

one positive is that some transport strikes planned for this coming week (12th onwards) have been cancelled.  I agree that London will now be busier, especially after yesterday's extended walkabout/meet and greet by the King's sons and their wives and the announcement that  The late queen will lie in state at Westminster for several days, with public access to pay respects.  Many cities will have condolence books, and services of remembrance.  during this current weekend some businesses are choosing not to open and some sporting and cultural occasions have been cancelled today and next week.   I think many Brits will travel to London for the funeral on Monday 19th. Monday is a public holiday and as said above most likely transport will be restricted. I think on the tuesday 20th it will be massively back to normal, as with a new government in post as well there is a lot of important work to be done. 

apologies I was being a bit dim this morning in my previous post.  Of course there will be an impact in all the countries round the world that have close ties to the UK, that means many Caribbean islands where ships might call and of course Canada, Australia and New Zealand.  Many of these countries will have proclamations and ceremonies in the coming week, possibly a public holiday on the day of the funeral. TV in the UK is covering reaction all around the world. 

The proclamation ceremonies are historic and moving , I ve just watched the one from my home town in Cornwall where the proclamation was spoken in the Cornish Language.  If you get the chance to witness one, you will be fortunate. 

• Like 2

London is already busier than usual with people travelling in to pay their respects.

When all of the Heads of State come in for the funeral next week they will be coached in to Westminster Abbey from elsewhere. No private planes or helicopters to come into UK and no private cars to come into London on that day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I’ve been in London since last Friday.  Haven’t really noticed any difference in crowds, except around Buckingham Palace.  There are a few closures such as Westminster Abbey.  Really, life much as usual.

I think that will change as the week progresses. People are already starting to camp out on the funeral route. 

In Edinburgh, people paid respects throughout the night. There was a mile long queue even at 3am !

By Friday,  London will be packed to the gunwales (nautical content !)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I’ve been in London since last Friday.  Haven’t really noticed any difference in crowds, except around Buckingham Palace.  There are a few closures such as Westminster Abbey.  Really, life much as usual.

Hardly surprising, since Her Majesty has just departed St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh enroute to London. The crowds experienced in Edinburgh were incredible, with the Police shutting down access many hours prior to yesterday's service, as the area was already at capacity.

I have no doubt the London crowds from tomorrow will be several times what was experienced in Edinburgh. People started queuing to access the Queen's Lying-in-State in Westminster Hall about 48 hrs before the start and the queue is expected to be 5 miles in length.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flights canceled into Heathrow for Monday morning.

My sister was due to fly from Dulles (Washington, DC) to Heathrow this Sunday evening (the 18th) arriving on the 19th at 10:30 am on a United flight.  Earlier this morning United notified her that it was canceled.  After much machinations she got a seat on the United flight arriving earlier in the morning (6 am).  Within a couple of hours United notified her that flight was canceled too.  They provided no explanation as to whether it was a United issue (probably not since both are very popular flights) or at the request of Heathrow/the UK.  She was able to get a seat on a flight leaving Saturday night and then had to find accomodations for Sunday night.  Luckily another woman in her travel group was coming in early and had a room already booked that they could share. Now they will be there for the funeral.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, capriccio said:

at the request of Heathrow/the UK. 

Air traffic into the UK will be heavy because of the Heads of State arriving.  I read a headline a couple of days ago that the UK has asked President Biden to not plan on using Marine One during his attendance.  I would expect the air space around London will be completely closed for sometime just as the U. S. has closed air space around Washington and New York at times.