The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 9th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Teddy Bear Day, Wonderful Wierdos Day, and National Sudoku Day

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer--Douglas Adams

Meal Suggestion for today - Espetos
Drink of the Day - Smore Tini
Wine of the Day - Domaine Divio 2019 Pinot Noir (Eola-Amity Hills) W
Destination of the Day - Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/10

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

Baie-Comeau, Quebec Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Naples, Italy eta 09/10

Rotterdam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth, Scotland 08:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

0909Alaska.thumb.png.8afc44882d2284269b622f65fd8b18d2.png

0909Atlantic.thumb.png.ad02674ee555f61bd90366fec073e07f.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for the TGIF report ending this sad week, Rich.  I'll salute all the days but I'm probably far too addicted to sudokus.  I love the quote but have no idea what the meal is.  Unfortunately, I have never been to Crete.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery, poor biopsy, awaiting scans 9/13,  and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard fieldsofclover
Happy Anniversary Marshhawk

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
7 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
3 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
2 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
2 days for lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today's fleet reports.

In the UK we are having 12 days of mourning and a State funeral for our beloved Queen.

3 good days on the daily.

Good quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Today's lunch.

Ag Nic in Crete is lovely.

Good wishes for everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20220908_125332.jpg

• Like 30

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report ending this sad week, Rich.  I'll salute all the days but I'm probably far too addicted to sudokus.  I love the quote but have no idea what the meal is.  Unfortunately, I have never been to Crete.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery, poor biopsy, awaiting scans 9/13,  and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard fieldsofclover
Happy Anniversary Marshhawk

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
7 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
3 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
2 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
2 days for lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for your kind words for Her majesty at this very sad time.

Graham.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Good days.  I love sudoku puzzles and I know a lot of wonderful weirdos.

Love the quote and Douglas Adams.

I'm not sure what the meal is, I'll wait to see the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are good.

I've never been to Crete.

We are so sorry about the Queen's passing.  She was a wonderful woman, but she's back with her beloved Philip.   The Queen visited Canada many times during her reign.  We will welcome King Charles III when he visits as king, he has been here many times already.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone.  

I see we are celebrating another group I belong to:  Wonderful Weirdos.   I hang out with them when I'm not drinking cardboardeaux and messily painting.  Reinforcements are coming in to help me with the clutter/last minute touch ups on painting, etc.  I never got into sudoku.  That is part of my weirdness.  If everyone else is doing something, I do something else.  

@marshhawk

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg

I would probably like today's meal if it was prepared for me.  This is a delicacy in Malaga, Spain.  Apparently it is quite popular although I never saw it when I was in Malaga.   In Malaga, an espeto refers to six fresh sardines (although you can also use other kinds of fish and meat, sardines are the most common), skewered and cooked over a pit of coals. The only seasoning is a bit of olive oil and sea salt. The result? Delicious! These little guys are meant to be eaten with your fingers, preferably as close to the beach as possible.

An espeto is usually made up of six sardines skewered on a bamboo spit. The best ones are medium sized (big sardines aren’t usually found in the Mediterranean). You should also firm up the sardines before cooking by sticking them in a bucket of ice and salting them for at least 30 minutes.

If you want to add extra flavor, you can add some herbs such as thyme, rosemary or bay leaves to the fire. Olive wood is traditionally used for the fire, which also adds flavor.

Yes! Sardines are a great source of vitamin B and iron. They’re also high in Omega 3 and low in calories. One serving is only about 200 calories and gives you 23 grams of protein. Also, because sardines are lower on the food chain, they have very little mercury, so they’re a good choice for kids or pregnant women. All the more reason for eating espetos in Malaga.  Another benefit is that sardines are good for healthy bones.  Since you eat the bones of the fish, you are getting the nutrients needed for strong bones.

1583781687_espetos1.jpg.c234414ac5b0763860fed0aabd1100fd.jpg

Here is a step by step tutorial with pictures on how to make Espeto.   https://www.bonviveur.es/recetas/espeto-de-sardinas

22330050_espetos2.jpg.ee209f20cd737e295d994c50099b9121.jpg

Simple, easy and healthy!   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Smore Tini cocktail:

Ingredients
1 partDeKuyper® Creme De Cacao Dark Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
1/2 part Heavy Cream
Graham Crackers
Chocolate
Marshmallow

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a martini glass rimmed with crushed graham crackers and melted chocolate. Garnish with a toasted marshmallow.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 7.16.12 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  It's cloudy here and we had a 2 minute rain shower pass through, so I don't expect much sunshine today.  We are anticipating lower temperatures today at only 77F!  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Love teddy bear day, and also sudoku, but hope I don't run into too many weirdos!  What an honest quote!  No way to the espetos menu suggestion.  I just can't do sardines.  The s'more tini looks interesting but I probably wouldn't drink one, nor the red wine.  I honestly don't think I've been to Agios Nikolaos before but always enjoy Greek ports so I'm sure I'd love it.  Thanks in advance for any photos.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Not only do we mourn the loss of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth we also celebrate her life.  May she rest in peace.  Prayers for all on the Care list and I do hope things are improving for all.  Cheers to the Celebration list.  Happy anniversary to Annie and Chuck @marshhawkand I wish you a bon voyage on your upcoming cruise.  Jacqui @kazuyou must be quite busy preparing for this weekend's celebration of life for Jose.  I hope the weather cooperates.  When you get time afterwards let us know how it all went.  

That's all for now.  Have a great start to your weekend!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Happy anniversary, @marshhawk and have a good cruise!

sitting at McDonald’s this morning having breakfast and killing time until I can pick up dh from his cataract surgery. It is a day surgery at an eye clinic but way across town from where we live so no point going home.

sad day across the commonwealth. Queen Elizabeth was the only queen most of us have known. She was queen when we immigrated to Canada. It will be strange to sing god save the king.

gorgeous fall day here in SW Ontario. Praying for safety for all in fire or flood danger. 

• Like 28

Happy Friday Morning! I cant believe we leave in two days, and that we cruise in 3.  When DH wakes up I will start breakfast, get out the suitcases and start packing.  I showed Chuck what I would be wearing for several of the fancy dinner nights, and he decided to take one button down shirt to spruce up his cruise wardrobe.  Years ago he would try to match my outfits with his bowties, now, not interested, wants to go more casual.

I love Teddy Bear Day!  When my father had his heart attack, and was alone a lot, I gave him a teddy bear.  He had it when he died.  I kept his teddy bear, which he named Stupid Bear, and Stupid Bear has gone on all my travels.  He has gained a few friends along the way, (Build a Bear) and on this trip, since we cant take all of his friends, he has asked for the bed while we are gone, and he will stay home with the cats.  We are taking the gnomes instead.

We have had so many hours working that neither of us got each other a card for our anniversary, and I am working late tonight so we will have dinner out tomorrow after my shift.  I am not sure whether i am addicted to work or just love the extra money.  I now have the ability to choose my hours, and I was going to take Thursdays off and attend art classes at the senior center, but I noticed that the art classes are not happening, so I will have to readjust that thinking.

The only thing that is constant, is change.

OK, I saw the meal, and I will pass.  I know sardines are very good for you, but they taste, um . fishy.

5cc7e40141305b50092066d72f3ab8d0--kitten-cat-baby-kittens.jpg

I have always been weird.  When the world went to go go boots, I started wearing cowboy boots. When the world wore mini skirts, I went to maxi skirts... and I just don't get Sudoku, DH loves it, plays it on his phone,  and if the ships offer the daily game, he picks one up in the mornings, and works on it, while I doze, and doodle in my art book.  

th?id=OIP.j9aeOWvXXCXGZhHpYURLZwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily!!

It’s a beautiful day here .  Sunny and warm.

Hope all have a good weekend , especially those celebrating milestones and to those going through trying times ,my thoughts are with you.

We are preparing to welcome our foster dog on Monday!   After losing our 2 furbabies last year we swore never again ! but we were asked to help so here we go.  Nobody who knows us believes we can just “foster” so we shall see😄

Take care everyone!

Jo

• Like 25

Good morning from central Texas.  I have a couple of errands I want to get out of the way early; then, I don't know what will be happening the rest of the day.

Always had a few Teddy bears growing up, but none now.  I never got into sudoku, but enjoy  crossword puzzles.  Some people might call me a wierdo, especially since I don't generally follow the latest trends.

I like the quote.  We'll pass on the meal, although I like sardines.  We'll also pass on the drink,  but the wine sounds interesting if it's not too pricey.

We have been to Crete three times on BHBs, but not to today's port.  I hope someone has some pictures to share with us.

@dfish  Debbier, I glad you're getting help with the painting and decluttering.

@jodi58  Our granddog started out as a foster, so who knows what will happen.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope all the plans and preparations for Jose's celebration of life are going smoothly and that the weather cooperates.

Lenda

• Like 28

RIP Queen Elizabeth.  It is going to take some time passing for it to sink in for me. 

@marshhawk Happy Anniversary! 🍾I am sure you are getting excited about your cruise. 

Another day working towards shut down.  We have some iffy weather coming in so I will be dodging raindrops to do the final load of the truck tomorrow. My sister will be over for another rib roast out of the freezer.  I brought so much party food and then we had a summer with few neighbors up here.   All say they will be up here much more next summer. 

Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine 🙏.  Thank you for the Daily Reports @richwmn

No more hummingbirds and subtle color changes in the Maple leaves. 

A golden morning today, last good one before we leave.  All my plants ready to ride home in my truck and in my sister's.  Have a wonderful Friday! 

IMG_20220909_070303063_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220909_070706368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220909_070721980.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Friday Morning! I cant believe we leave in two days, and that we cruise in 3.  When DH wakes up I will start breakfast, get out the suitcases and start packing.  I showed Chuck what I would be wearing for several of the fancy dinner nights, and he decided to take one button down shirt to spruce up his cruise wardrobe.  Years ago he would try to match my outfits with his bowties, now, not interested, wants to go more casual.

I love Teddy Bear Day!  When my father had his heart attack, and was alone a lot, I gave him a teddy bear.  He had it when he died.  I kept his teddy bear, which he named Stupid Bear, and Stupid Bear has gone on all my travels.  He has gained a few friends along the way, (Build a Bear) and on this trip, since we cant take all of his friends, he has asked for the bed while we are gone, and he will stay home with the cats.  We are taking the gnomes instead.

We have had so many hours working that neither of us got each other a card for our anniversary, and I am working late tonight so we will have dinner out tomorrow after my shift.  I am not sure whether i am addicted to work or just love the extra money.  I now have the ability to choose my hours, and I was going to take Thursdays off and attend art classes at the senior center, but I noticed that the art classes are not happening, so I will have to readjust that thinking.

The only thing that is constant, is change.

OK, I saw the meal, and I will pass.  I know sardines are very good for you, but they taste, um . fishy.

5cc7e40141305b50092066d72f3ab8d0--kitten-cat-baby-kittens.jpg

I have always been weird.  When the world went to go go boots, I started wearing cowboy boots. When the world wore mini skirts, I went to maxi skirts... and I just don't get Sudoku, DH loves it, plays it on his phone,  and if the ships offer the daily game, he picks one up in the mornings, and works on it, while I doze, and doodle in my art book.  

th?id=OIP.j9aeOWvXXCXGZhHpYURLZwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0

Happy Anniversary Ann & Chuck.

16BAE748-7629-449F-AB37-968AF0377626.gif.473208a51bb791858c0f250666388322.gif

• Like 14

Good sunny morning and thanks for the update. 
What an emotional day yesterday was. I loved seeing all the tributes to Her Majesty from all over the world, including the Pope.  For anyone interested you can sign an online book of condolence at: www. Royal.UK

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2