Wrong stateroom!!!

Owenred

On 9/10/2022 at 4:49 AM, brillohead said:

Back when the Upgrade Fairy existed, people would make sure to check "no upgrades" if they wanted to make sure they got the exact room they booked, because just because Royal considered the room to be an upgrade, the person booking the room might not consider it to be an upgrade.

The "no upgrade" option is only available at Carnival brands such as Princess / Cunard / HAL / Seabourn / P&O etc., but not at Royal Caribbean or Celebrity anymore.

42 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Lesson to be learned for all cruisers: Book and pay for the cabin in the category that you want when booking the cruise.  Mark your reservation "No Upgrade."

Why do cruisers need that same lesson?

Some cruisers have specific concerns, like these parents, that make some staterooms undesirable for them.  RoyalUp made an error in the OP’s case; RoyalUp admitted their mistake, correct it, and gave a goodwill OBC.  I do not think the OP’s experience should stop others from bidding, as RoyalUp acted appropriately in the end.

Presumably you also have strong feelings about picking your exact stateroom; I understand and respect that.  Many cruisers do, but not all.  I have no such limitations.  DH and I are not noise sensitive, do not tend to get sea sick, do not mind being close to the elevators or way at the end of the corridor.  It helps the cruiseline to have some flexible bookings.

Every cruiser needs to carefully evaluate their individual situation and decide if they really are flexible enough to place themselves in situations where they do not select their own cabin # (as happens when one books gty or bids for RoyalUp).  Some are.  Some are not.  Know yourself; that is the lesson for cruisers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

The "no upgrade" option is only available at Carnival brands such as Princess / Cunard / HAL / Seabourn / P&O etc., but not at Royal Caribbean or Celebrity anymore.

I am offered that option by my travel agent on any cruise that I book on any cruise  in any independent line or corporate family.

It doesn't mean that I can't be moved because of some problem, but I won't be moved just because "who doesn't want a balcony."

On 9/10/2022 at 11:38 AM, wahooker said:

You underestimate the ability of toddlers to unchildproof stuff.

Apparently, I actually over estimate parents ability to take care of their children, since so many people seem to think the toddler is in danger with responsible parents in a balcony cabin.

I have been a member here for 20 plus years, and I feel pretty current on history of people falling off of ships, and I only remember one instance, and that was the tragic case of the grandfather dropping the toddler off the ship.  

Can you site the example of a true toddler falling off a modern cruise ship on their own?

jc

• Like 6

22 hours ago, frank808 said:

Talking to a couple last cruise that did a Royal Up. They were booked in a balcony and bid on Royal Up to Grand Suite. Got notification they won their bid. When they got to their cabin it was a Junior Suite. Guest services could not switch them and told couple that they have to take their problem up with the vendor that administers Royal Up.

They did tell me they have disputed charge with credit card company. 

I have never done a Royal Up as the TA I use does not participate. Asking you experienced Royal Up cruisers, the bids are very cabin specific. It is not like when you book guarantee that there is one that is JS and better and then another one that is grand suite or better (WS)?

Your TA has nothing to do with a Royal Up bid. You place the bid and receive the communications.

Each time we've bid it has been cabin specific and I've never seen a Suite guarantee bid (but that doesn't mean others haven't). 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, Owenred said:

We’ve had balcony’s before. The point I’m making is if I wanted a balcony I would of bid on one, and when I booked it was the same price as the room I booked. I’m not asking if I’m lucky to have a balcony, I’m asking if anyone has experienced this before, I’m annoyed that I haven’t received the room I bid for so won’t consider myself lucky. 
Has anyone with any experience  got anything to say ? 

No experience with this, but you should have received the room you wanted.  I saw another post where someone won a room different than what they bid on.  Seems the system has some issues.  

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Apparently, I actually over estimate parents ability to take care of their children, since so many people seem to think the toddler is in danger with responsible parents in a balcony cabin.

I have been a member here for 20 plus years, and I feel pretty current on history of people falling off of ships, and I only remember one instance, and that was the tragic case of the grandfather dropping the toddler off the ship.  

Can you site the example of a true toddler falling off a modern cruise ship on their own?

jc

I assume that at some point during a cruise all parents, even responsible ones, need to sleep.  Generally they don't have someone to sit and watch the balcony door while they do so.  

I also assume that parents with kids who have uncanny abilities to bypass childproofing don't get a balcony cabin. 

The OP's problem was Royal Up trying to override their responsible parenting.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, Owenred said:

So we are cruising on Wonder in 2 days time. We originally had a Central Park view interior, got a RoyalUp invitation so bid on a Ultra Spacious Ocean View, received an email today saying we had won the bid and got the room. When I’ve logged in we have been given a Balcony room, called royal who confirmed this and said they cannot assist as it was done by RoyalUp.

Has anyone had an experience like this before? 
We purposely didn’t book a balcony due to travelling with a toddler and not wanting the risk. 
Is it likely when we get to the dock they will have the correct room? 
I have emailed RoyalUp but being a Friday two days before our cruise I doubt I will get a reply.

A toddler can not open the balcony door. Just keep it locked. 

4 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

I assume that at some point during a cruise all parents, even responsible ones, need to sleep.  Generally they don't have someone to sit and watch the balcony door while they do so.  

I also assume that parents with kids who have uncanny abilities to bypass childproofing don't get a balcony cabin. 

I completely get the royal up screw up…

I am happy the OP got a favorable resolution.

I still think the general fear associated with balconies and toddlers is way, way, way, over exaggerated.  

If you are talking 10 year olds, high schoolers, all bets are off.  They are prime candidates to do stupid stuff, but a child that is barely walking….

I am still waiting for an example of a toddler falling off on their own…. I am pretty sure it has never happened.

Therefore, I suspect that booking a balcony with a toddler is pretty safe.  Despite all of the fear presented in this thread.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

• Like 4

6 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Your TA has nothing to do with a Royal Up bid. You place the bid and receive the communications.

Each time we've bid it has been cabin specific and I've never seen a Suite guarantee bid (but that doesn't mean others haven't). 

Costco specifically does not participate in the RoyalUp program.  If you book with them, you cannot bid on room upgrades.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

I am letting my imagination run wild.  it is 2 AM… all is well until the 15 month old toddler wakes up.  Quickly checks out the 172 square foot balcony cabin, sees the door locks…. Quietly climbs out of its bed, and toddles to the door to the balcony.  Realizes the lock holding the door shut is 2 foot over its head, and immediately takes the glass table and shoves it to the door, climbs up as only a 15 month old toddler can and expertly unlocks the lock, then opens the door, which is heavy, and requires an effort that caused its pampers to be filled with unmentionable smelly stuff.  Now at last the toddler is able to achieve its goal, and shoves the deck furniture to the balcony glass and rail.  The toddler in complete control despite the exhausted parents best, but futile efforts, climbs up on the deck furniture and throws itself off into the dark and terrible ocean full of sharks and other hostile things.  

Really?

Good grief

jc\\\\\\\\\\\

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am letting my imagination run wild.  it is 2 AM… all is well until the 15 month old toddler wakes up.  Quickly checks out the 172 square foot balcony cabin, sees the door locks…. Quietly climbs out of its bed, and toddles to the door to the balcony.  Realizes the lock holding the door shut is 2 foot over its head, and immediately takes the glass table and shoves it to the door, climbs up as only a 15 month old toddler can and expertly unlocks the lock, then opens the door, which is heavy, and requires an effort that caused its pampers to be filled with unmentionable smelly stuff.  Now at last the toddler is able to achieve its goal, and shoves the deck furniture to the balcony glass and rail.  The toddler in complete control despite the exhausted parents best, but futile efforts, climbs up on the deck furniture and throws itself off into the dark and terrible ocean full of sharks and other hostile things.  

Really?

Good grief

jc\\\\\\\\\\\

Some people fear heights.  Some people fear flying.  Some people fear spiders.  Some people fear for their toddler’s safety. 

I doubt any of the above people will give up their fear because people on the internet tell them not to worry in condescending tones.

They wanted an oversized cabin with a window. They don’t want a balcony this time.  Can’t you just respect their decision?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Some people fear heights.  Some people fear flying.  Some people fear spiders.  Some people fear for their toddler’s safety. 

I doubt any of the above people will give up their fear because people on the internet tell them not to worry in condescending tones.

They wanted an oversized cabin with a window. They don’t want a balcony this time.  Can’t you just respect their decision?

I do respect their decision.

I am only questioning some posters logic.

jc

On 9/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, Homosassa said:

Lesson to be learned for all cruisers: Book and pay for the cabin in the category that you want when booking the cruise.  Mark your reservation "No Upgrade."

Yes but it didn’t receive an upgrade, I bid on RoyalUp which you pay for. So I agree if your happy with your cabin mark no upgrade, but in future We would use RoyalUp as they admitted this was a fault and resolved it. So it hasn’t put us off 

On 9/11/2022 at 10:49 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

I've done it on Royal but you have to call.

We just got off of Quantum of the Seas and unless your toddler is over five feet tall, there is no way they are going to reach to child lock on the balcony doo.  I am 6-foot tall and the child latch latch was higher than my head.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, xpcdoojk said:

I completely get the royal up screw up…

I am happy the OP got a favorable resolution.

I still think the general fear associated with balconies and toddlers is way, way, way, over exaggerated.  

If you are talking 10 year olds, high schoolers, all bets are off.  They are prime candidates to do stupid stuff, but a child that is barely walking….

I am still waiting for an example of a toddler falling off on their own…. I am pretty sure it has never happened.

Therefore, I suspect that booking a balcony with a toddler is pretty safe.  Despite all of the fear presented in this thread.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

All I know is that the balcony door in a relative's cabin did not slow down my young, very proficient climber at all.  That was without a child lock engaged but I wouldn't have trusted something like that while I slept.  My son has never met a child lock he couldn't disarm and my daughter has been known to literally climb walls.  I would have woken up when the door opened but that wouldn't have been in time for me to grab her before she scaled the railing if she was intent on doing so.  

If you are thinking of a one year old who just barely learned to walk, then it's probably not a big concern but an older toddler in the 2-3 year range definitely depends on the kid.  

I assume that part of the reason you don't hear about toddlers falling off balconies is that parents of escape artists know our kids.  We don't stay in balcony rooms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, Homosassa said:

Royal Up has worked really well for me in the past. Inside to balcony for very minimal cost.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:56 PM, Starry Eyes said:

They can be crafty.  Just as importantly, why should anyone second guess the parent’s decision.  I think the parent said they have previously been on cruise ship balconies. They know their child.  Any decision they make gets my respect.

I completely agree with you. Some of the replies on this thread have had me scratching my head.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We just got off of Quantum of the Seas and unless your toddler is over five feet tall, there is no way they are going to reach to child lock on the balcony doo.  I am 6-foot tall and the child latch latch was higher than my head.

I don't think anyone here is talking about that latch up near the ceiling, and maybe no one else is aware of it, which means they wouldn't bother engaging it.  I agree with you that no toddler other than the child of Superman could get up high enough to disengage that lock.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:38 AM, wahooker said:

You underestimate the ability of toddlers to unchildproof stuff.

Most ships they can't even reach the lock. Then some ships wouldn't be strong enough to move the lock. 

I won't say all because I obviously don't know. We never had an issue with it and quickly realized we were overthinking it. 

On 9/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, gluecksbaer said:

You lock the door. If the door lock is broken you ask it to be fixed or be moved.

Maybe do a search of rooms tours on your trip where the child lock is. But they all have been out of reach when I have looked.