SECOND ArriveCAN APP Required Before Cruise!!! Alert!

nini

The following is from the https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This is the very first I have heard about this. I have not seen any mention on CC. Thought I would post. I did not find this on:

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Comments?

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

Upon your entry to Canada by air or at a land border crossing, the border services officer may notify you that you’ve been randomly selected for a mandatory arrival test.

Mandatory random testing is part of the Government of Canada surveillance program to track the importation of COVID-19 virus into Canada, and identify new variants of concern.

This has always been the case. Anyone entering Canada must make an ArriveCAN submission each time. If one is boarding a cruise ship that leaves Canada and re-enters, an ArriveCAN submission is required. If one boards a cruise in Canada that does not return, no submission is required.

If one flys into Canada to take a cruise, an ArriveCAN submission must be made prior to entry. If one then boards a round trip cruise another ArriveCAN submission must be made to board. It is actually for the return.

5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’ve been pretty accepting of all the Covid protocols and travel hurdles but the Canadian Ministry of health have seriously lost their minds. This is nothing more than an attempt to kill cruise traffic in Canada. 

Silly. If you are accepting of ArriveCAN to fly into Canada why do you consider it lunacy to use it on a cruise that enters Canada?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

Silly. If you are accepting of ArriveCAN to fly into Canada why do you consider it lunacy to use it on a cruise that enters Canada?

What is silly is requiring guest to submit a SECOND arriveCan app prior to departing  Canada via cruise ship after submitting one to enter the country. 

• Like 3

We boarded in Vancouver on Aug 16 and did a b2b. We did ArriveCan before leaving home. On the cruise there was a meeting for those continuing on for the second leg, on the last day of the first leg. The crew helped us fill out our ArriveCan the second time. No one ever mentioned ArriveCan to us, but we were told at that meeting that it is accessed electronically by whoever needs to know. 

• Like 2

This is not new.  I have been following and trying to digest ArriveCan.  Here are my conclusions:

1.  You are able to fill out ArriveCan (Passport Information, etc) months in advance either by app or web.  The first part is for everyone coming into Canada by car, train, or plane.  

2.  You have to fill out the health form (think Princess) within 72 hours of arrival into Canada

3.  If you are not boarding the cruise immediately, you can fill out the health form with testing information after you land but before you get on the ship.

4.  72 hours before embarkation (noon) for PCR test.  2 days for rapid antigen test.  This is ONLY needed if you are cruising.  It is not needed for a land vacation in Canada.  This needs to be uploaded to the app/website AND recommends you have hard copies.

This is my understanding.  If someone else has a different experience, please share.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

What is silly is requiring guest to submit a SECOND arriveCan app prior to departing  Canada via cruise ship after submitting one to enter the country. 

The only reason one might have to make a second ArriveCAN submission is because they are entering the country a second time. Having to make the submission prior to boarding actually makes things easier for cruise passengers. Otherwise the submission would have to be made sometime during the voyage before returning to Canada.

Every time one enters Canada one has to complete an ArriveCAN submission. What is so difficult to understand about that?

53 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

I could be wrong but I believe your second entry is if your pre cruise trip is longer than 72 hours

That is not correct.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html for the most current requirements and guidance.

• Like 4

There is nothing new here and it is all quite simple 

You need to complete ArriveCan  within 72 hours before entering Canada by land or air. This goes for ANY person entering the country. 

You need to complete ArriveCan within 72 hours before boarding any ship which will enter or disembark at a Canadian port. This lists the port of entry into Canada for the cruise. And has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the duration of the cruise. 

The only hitch for cruisers who first need to enter Canada before boarding,   is that the pre embarkation travel plan can only be submitted AFTER entering Canada. But it only takes a minute or 2.

Don't confuse the ArriveCan requirements with Princess's covid test requirements. They are separate things.

And if you think something this simple is craziness, I suggest you avoid travel to any country requiring a visa.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, broberts said:

What says he supports the requirement if arriving by air?  I live here and I want the stupid thing abolished.  It's a joke.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

What says he supports the requirement if arriving by air?  I live here and I want the stupid thing abolished.  It's a joke.

The joke is people that don't think through consequences. You realize getting rid of ArriveCAN will just increase border wait times as people will have to present physical proof of vaccination, etc.?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, nini said:

The following is from the https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This is the very first I have heard about this. I have not seen any mention on CC. Thought I would post. I did not find this on:

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Comments?

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

Upon your entry to Canada by air or at a land border crossing, the border services officer may notify you that you’ve been randomly selected for a mandatory arrival test.

Mandatory random testing is part of the Government of Canada surveillance program to track the importation of COVID-19 virus into Canada, and identify new variants of concern.

Not sure it’s correct to state definitely that completing ArriveCan for a second time is always correct. 
Reading down further in the section of instructions you provided will reveal the following:

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

It is called traceability. A very typical public health response during a pandemic.

• Like 7

The ArriveCan policy is a pain and should be done away with.   Im fully vaccinated but at some point we have to declare these pandemic travel restrictions over.  It is like a flu now and will be around for a long tome, requiring periodic boosters.   We have to start living.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Not sure it’s correct to state definitely that completing ArriveCan for a second time is always correct. 
Reading down further in the section of instructions you provided will reveal the following:

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Maybe that changed since my cruise in May leaving Vancouver.

our ArriveCAN was checked at the cruise terminal when we embarked.  We disembarked in Seattle.  No other Canadian ports.seems like many do not know what is needed.

useless to keep this, I agree, but we do what we are told is required.

8 hours ago, retird said:

The ArriveCan policy is a pain and should be done away with.   Im fully vaccinated but at some point we have to declare these pandemic travel restrictions over.  It is like a flu now and will be around for a long tome, requiring periodic boosters.   We have to start living.   

Just because a disease is endemic doesn't mean it can be safely ignored. Numerous countries require proof of vaccination for different endemic diseases to enter. Other than inconveniencing you, are there any other reasons a country shouldn't do what it deems necessary to keep its residents safe?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is not new.  I have been following and trying to digest ArriveCan.  Here are my conclusions:

1.  You are able to fill out ArriveCan (Passport Information, etc) months in advance either by app or web.  The first part is for everyone coming into Canada by car, train, or plane.  

2.  You have to fill out the health form (think Princess) within 72 hours of arrival into Canada

3.  If you are not boarding the cruise immediately, you can fill out the health form with testing information after you land but before you get on the ship.

4.  72 hours before embarkation (noon) for PCR test.  2 days for rapid antigen test.  This is ONLY needed if you are cruising.  It is not needed for a land vacation in Canada.  This needs to be uploaded to the app/website AND recommends you have hard copies.

This is my understanding.  If someone else has a different experience, please share.

You do not need to upload Covid test results into ArriveCan, since a Covid test is not required for entry into Canada.  The purpose of ArriveCan is to confirm vaccination status.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, broberts said:

Every time one enters Canada one has to complete an ArriveCAN submission. What is so difficult to understand about that?

There is an exception to this if you re-enter Canada a second time on a cruise.  I was just on a Canada/Greenland cruise.  We had to complete ArriveCan prior to arriving in Halifax.  Our cruise then left Canada and went up to Greenland.  After Greenland, we re-entered Canada with a stop in St. John's, but we were not required to do ArriveCan a second time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

You do not need to upload Covid test results into ArriveCan, since a Covid test is not required for entry into Canada.  The purpose of ArriveCan is to confirm vaccination status.

That's only part of the story.  The government is collecting travel info and use it to track people who are supposed to quarantine and those folks are required to login each day and report in. They may be using the data for other things as well that we don't know about.  If it was just for vaccination status, we could just show our proof and move on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, westcoaster said:

There is an exception to this if you re-enter Canada a second time on a cruise.  I was just on a Canada/Greenland cruise.  We had to complete ArriveCan prior to arriving in Halifax.  Our cruise then left Canada and went up to Greenland.  After Greenland, we re-entered Canada with a stop in St. John's, but we were not required to do ArriveCan a second time.

I'm not clear on this itinerary. Did you sail out of a US Port, called at Halifax, called at a port in Greenland, then returned to St John's?

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

...If it was just for vaccination status, we could just show our proof and move on.

Showing proof of vaccination to a CBSA agent would dramatically reduce clearance rates. ArriveCAN speeds up the process as vaccination certificates of all variations are preprocessed.

Merely entering the country with a passport provides the government with tracking data. ArriveCAN is not providing additional detail, just advance notice of travel.

• Like 4