The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 11th, 2022

richwmn

911 Remembrance

Today is National Emergency Responders Day, Libraries Remember Day, and Grandparent's Day

What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.--John Green, Paper Towns

Meal Suggestion for today - Strawberry, Basil and Honey Paletas
Drink of the Day - Pumpkin Spice White Russian
Wine of the Day - Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington
Destination of the Day - Brest, France

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/12

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 09/12

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Statendam

Corner Brook NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 10:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy 07:00 - 21:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

0911World.thumb.png.225a23c3cad4f662d516a7415a2ea2e5.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

911 was a dreadful day where so many lives were lost and everything changed forever.

Today's wine sounds good 

We have been to Brest several times on a cruise.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 21

Thank you for the September 11 Report, Rich.  Great days with a special salute to Grandparents.  Not sure what to make of the quote.  I don't think I have been to Brest.  The meal sounds interesting. 

I'll have the regular lists later.  This is my special annual list for September 11:

In memory of:

Firefighter Keven O’Rourke, FDNY
PANYNJ Police Officer Bruce Reynolds–Officer Reynolds was on patrol on the George Washington Bridge and diverted to the World Trade Center where he perished in the Collapse of the South Tower

memorial.jpg

Captain John Ogonowski, AA 11, World Trade Center
Captain Victor Saracini, UA 175, W/orld Trade Center
Captain Jason Dahl, UA 93, Shanksville, PA
Captain Charles Burlingame, AA 77. Pentagon–”A pilot will fight to the ends of the earth to save his aircraft–He just will!”  Captain Beverly Bass
2990 others that day
At least 2000 since then from illness related to toxic substances encountered during rescue including Cruisin single’s DH

My 9/11 Heroes(Many now retired)

Captain Beverly Bass(Ret)
Mayor Claude Elliott(Ret)
Constable Oz Fudge(Ret)
Gander Academy teacher Diane Davis and Gander Legion Staffer Beulah Cooper (together Beulah Davis)
Reporter Janice Goudie and Brian Moser (Together Janice Moser)
Nick and Diane
Karen Voskanian, Flight Attendant Continental 5
Kevin Tuereff
and SPCA Executive Bonnie Harris

And a quote of the day”Suddenly I’m Flying Paris to Dallas; Across the Atlantic and Feeling Calm; When Suddenly someone on Air to Air Traffic said “At 846 we had a terrorist action”; and the one thing I loved more then anything was used as the BOMB–Sud-den-ly I’m in a ho-tel” , Captain Beverly Bass

We will and should never forget the horror of 9/11 but I firmly believe that if that is ALL we remember it's a victory for the terrorists.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We all have memories of 911.  Prayers for the survivors.  Thanks for your list Roy.

It's a warm morning here, cloudy and chance of rain later.  Bertie and I had a nice quiet walk.

I'm not sure what to make of the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion.

I'll pass on the drink, I don't like pumpkin spice.

I've never been to Brest, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the September 11 Report, Rich.  Great days with a special salute to Grandparents.  Not sure what to make of the quote.  I don't think I have been to Brest.  The meal sounds interesting. 

I'll have the regular lists later.  This is my special annual list for September 11:

In memory of:

Firefighter Keven O’Rourke, FDNY
PANYNJ Police Officer Bruce Reynolds–Officer Reynolds was on patrol on the George Washington Bridge and diverted to the World Trade Center where he perished in the Collapse of the South Tower

memorial.jpg

Captain John Ogonowski, AA 11, World Trade Center
Captain Victor Saracini, UA 175, W/orld Trade Center
Captain Jason Dahl, UA 93, Shanksville, PA
Captain Charles Burlingame, AA 77. Pentagon–”A pilot will fight to the ends of the earth to save his aircraft–He just will!”  Captain Beverly Bass
2990 others that day
At least 2000 since then from illness related to toxic substances encountered during rescue including Cruisin single’s DH

My 9/11 Heroes(Many now retired)

Captain Beverly Bass(Ret)
Mayor Claude Elliott(Ret)
Constable Oz Fudge(Ret)
Gander Academy teacher Diane Davis and Gander Legion Staffer Beulah Cooper (together Beulah Davis)
Reporter Janice Goudie and Brian Moser (Together Janice Moser)
Nick and Diane
Karen Voskanian, Flight Attendant Continental 5
Kevin Tuereff
and SPCA Executive Bonnie Harris

And a quote of the day”Suddenly I’m Flying Paris to Dallas; Across the Atlantic and Feeling Calm; When Suddenly someone on Air to Air Traffic said “At 846 we had a terrorist action”; and the one thing I loved more then anything was used as the BOMB–Sud-den-ly I’m in a ho-tel” , Captain Beverly Bass

We will and should never forget the horror of 9/11 but I firmly believe that if that is ALL we remember it's a victory for the terrorists.

Roy

Prayers 🙏 and respect for all of the brave people on your list Roy.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Today's regular lists:

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

good day for Jose’s Celebration of Life
Harry and William walking together
A new Camila photo

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Cruzin Terry settling into a condo
6 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
5 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
1 day for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
Bon Voyage Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
Bon Voyage lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
Welcome home cat shepard, Vmax1700 and grapau27
Welcome back Father David
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Pumpkin Spice White Russian cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Kamora® Coffee Liqueur
3 parts Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
1 part Pumpkin Spice Flavored Liquid Coffee Creamer
2 parts Milk
1/4 part Pumpkin Puree
Sprinkling Pumpkin Spice

Instructions
Combine coffee liqueur, vodka, Pumpkin Spice creamer and pumpkin puree in a tall glass; stir until well combined. Add ice. Top with milk and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.04.00 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends on this, 9/11 Remembrance Day.  Already this morning I've cried while watching a story on TV about Queen Elizabeth ordering her guard to play the United States national anthem in front of Buckingham Palace on Sept. 13, 2001.  The crowd respectfully covered their hearts and many cried as I just did.  So moving!  May we never forget what happened that day.  I pray that this event is being discussed in our schools so that those who have been born since that date know what can happen if we aren't vigilant.  But I bet it's not because the woke don't want to offend anyone.  Give me a break!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor this special Daily and Fleet Reprt.  The emergency responders day is totally appropriate and honorable.  Thank you to our libraries which honor and commemorate the victims of 9/11 on this date.  I will be happy to celebrate this Grandparents Day as that is one of the joys of my life, having 6 wonderful grandchildren.  As for the quote all I could think of was ?.  Yes a question mark.  The menu suggestion sounds interesting.  I wonder what it is?  Can't wait to see.  As for Brest, France I have not been there yet but would love to.  It was last posted here on October 7, 2021.  Here is a link to that date's post by Rich which I found on page 37 of his posting activity.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor your wonderful list of those you want to honor on this date.  Prayers today for all in need of them and cheers for those enjoying happy events and cruises.  

Thank you Graham @grapau27for Father David's sermon.  Also your kind words.

I hope everyone has a very good day in spite of our sorrow.  Life must go on and hopefully we have learned how to prevent something like 9/11 from happening again.  I pray for wisdom for those at the top, otherwise we are lost.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good rainy morning. It’s supposed to be like this all day.

Remembering the tragic events of this day, it’s hard to believe it’s been 21 years. 
  @grapau27, Please thank Father David  for his wonderful message . He described Her Majesty‘s faith beautifully ❤️🙏

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a cloudy,muggy NY. Yonkers lost many firefighters,police officers and emergency responders on 9/11.We have a memorial three blocks from my house that has a girder from the building attached to a wall with the names inscribed. It was somber there today when I walked the dogs as several families gathered in front of the monument. Some were headed to the City for the ceremony there today.

I will salute my wonderful grandparents today and my own grandchildren as well. I was fortunate in that all were nearby and we saw them frequently when my brothers and I were growing up.All four left the countries of their births to come here and start new lives.

Terry

• Like 25

I was working at a garden center on 9/11.  My neighbor called and said a plane had hit the towers, I told my boss, he turned on the computer,  he saw the news, he left and never came back to work.  Ever.  I kept the store open that day, had the classical music on, brought out as many bright flowers to the ourside tables, and people came in, and wandered the green house, and cried.  Some sat on the floor,  and looked at the gift items.  That night we had a scientist come in and give a talk about micro organisms that live in pond water.  Only 3 people showed up.  At 9, I closed the store.  Chuck and I went and had dinner.

My boss called me the next day, he had lost so many friends and co workers that day, he made me boss, and went back to his old job. He said I could close up the shop, but I said no, it seems to bring peace to people to get here.  I never saw the news, I never have seen the films.  I just kept the store open, for people to come in, and step away for a few minutes to take a break from what was going on.  In other words, I worked.

May we never forget, but may we always forgive. 

Well we are all packed, I need to toast  a mini bagel, finish another cup of coffee, and then we are gone.

Hugs to you all!

a-cat-prayer-wendi-evans.jpg

• Like 28

Getting ready for church but a big heart felt thanks to our first responders. A somber prayer for 9 11 victims and for those who responded and now have health issues.

Weird but the foot is normal and all it took was one anti inflammatory.🙏

Thanks for the report. 

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I was working at a garden center on 9/11.  My neighbor called and said a plane had hit the towers, I told my boss, he turned on the computer,  he saw the news, he left and never came back to work.  Ever.  I kept the store open that day, had the classical music on, brought out as many bright flowers to the ourside tables, and people came in, and wandered the green house, and cried.  Some sat on the floor,  and looked at the gift items.  That night we had a scientist come in and give a talk about micro organisms that live in pond water.  Only 3 people showed up.  At 9, I closed the store.  Chuck and I went and had dinner.

My boss called me the next day, he had lost so many friends and co workers that day, he made me boss, and went back to his old job. He said I could close up the shop, but I said no, it seems to bring peace to people to get here.  I never saw the news, I never have seen the films.  I just kept the store open, for people to come in, and step away for a few minutes to take a break from what was going on.  In other words, I worked.

May we never forget, but may we always forgive. 

Well we are all packed, I need to toast  a mini bagel, finish another cup of coffee, and then we are gone.

Hugs to you all!

a-cat-prayer-wendi-evans.jpg

Wishing you a safe and stress free trip.

Roy

• Like 17

Good morning, everyone.

@Cruzin Terri I am glad you have found a comfortable place to stay while your home is repaired, but sorry you have to go through this. 

@kazu I am hoping your Celebration of Life for Jose went smoothly and that you drew some comfort from the friends who were there to acknowledge Jose and give support to you.  

Who can forget 9/1/2001?    I was in my classroom during class change when a student rushed in and said a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  We turned on the TV and watched as the second plane hit the second tower.   We knew it was definitely an attack on our country.  Parents started coming in and taking their kids home, wanting to have their loved ones close to them.  That afternoon we decided we would be open the next day but that parents who wanted their kids at home were welcome to keep them at home and it wouldn't count as a day absent for their children.  It was difficult that day because the kids had so many questions and I had no answers.  

Today is another dessert for dinner day.  

Paletas are a frozen treat made with fresh fruit. The origin of Mexican paletas is not quite clear, though. Many tell the tale of peasants who sought ice from the Popocatepetl volcano near Mexico City. It is said they would mix the ice with fruit and serve this special treat to Aztec emperors.

Another explanation comes from the 1800s, when Mexico was celebrating its independence from Spain. Spain’s monopoly and high ice taxes had ceased and that meant ordinary citizens could afford ice and experiment by mixing it with fresh fruit to beat the heat.

The paletas recipe we know today gained popularity in the 1940s in a town named Tocumbo. In Mexico, Tocumbo is known as la cuna de la paleta de hielo, the capital of the frozen pop. It’s also the home of La Michoacana, the famous brand of paleterias with an indigenous doll as its logo.

Paletas are very easy to make.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-make-paletas-recipe/

1311638081_strawbasilhoneypaletas1.jpg.f941b8f34b989c68599acbc4d8707550.jpg

Most of the recipes are the same.  Here is one with a slight variation.   https://www.agirldefloured.com/strawberry-basil-paletas/

1883599707_strawbasilhoneypaletas2.thumb.jpg.4ae6d7f7e4fd897bd18f444db6d5baa1.jpg

You can make creamy paletas using plain Greek yogurt.   You can experiment with other fruits.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/peach-crisp-parfait-pops/

1750115774_Peachcrispparfaitcups1.jpg.3446da6566870d720cd04ea3fab8a57f.jpg

Ok, back to packing and cleaning so the house is ready for pictures tomorrow.   We did discover the leak in the basement and Dad says it is an easy and fairly cheap fix.  The parts are ordered and they assure us they will be in by Thursday.

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I pray that this event is being discussed in our schools so that those who have been born since that date know what can happen if we aren't vigilant.  But I bet it's not because the woke don't want to offend anyone.  Give me a break!

I, too, hope that history is being taught in our schools. But, as a former teacher, I also recognize that it is not the 'woke' who are passing state laws that limit a teacher's ability to teach.

-Melisa

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

I was at the office on 9/11/01.  My colleague at the next desk had a family member at the WTC and we heard about a plane striking the tower but assumed it was a light aircraft (her family member was ok). 

It is now 9:03AM when the second tower was struck and we then knew it was more than an accident.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11