Freedom Class--Are the ships all the same?

8 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

I'm looking at a 3 night cruise in March.  The kids (15, 12) want to go to Coco Cay.  My ship choices are Freedom, Liberty, or Independence.  Are they all the same?  Just pick the cheapest one?  Any noticeable differences?

They have subtle differences due to when they were last amped/upgraded/refurbished. Just check them out on the RC site and you'll notice certain differences in food venues, bars, etc.

That said, they are VERY similar, so unless a certain venue really appeals to you, the cheapest makes sense (factor in traveling costs and convenience of course).

The Liberty has a different type of waterslide..The Indy has the trampoline cube,  the Freedom was revamped right before covid shutdown...IMO, if the slide or trampoline is not an issue and if flying,  whichever is leaving out of fort Lauderdale (which has the shortest commute from airport or hotels) is your best bet...

Edited by Scoobydobe7
  • Like 1

Just now, George C said:

Entertainment will be different Liberty has Saturday night fever as the play , I believe one other has the play Grease, they all have a ice show . 

Indy has Grease.

I need to remember there's more to cruising than food and drink even though that's what I focus on, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Indy has Grease.

I need to remember there's more to cruising than food and drink even though that's what I focus on, lol.

I focus a little more on entertainment, I am happy that Harmony is coming to Galveston next year that also has Grease, one of my friends is helped the actors learn the dance routines for grease before they boarded the ship.

5 minutes ago, George C said:

I focus a little more on entertainment, I am happy that Harmony is coming to Galveston next year that also has Grease, one of my friends is helped the actors learn the dance routines for grease before they boarded the ship.

That's cool. I was on Harmony a few months ago. I'm looking forward to Wonder coming to PC. Win-win!

I'm not a theater-goer, haven't seen Grease on either ship, but that's what's great about cruising... there's something for everyone.

• Like 2

We have been on all of them, Freedom a lot since it came to Miami.  Freedom is updated with a great colorful pool area, El Loco Fresh and the Lime and Coconut Bar.  Also love Playmakers on her.  But we are doing Liberty in Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar because it is out of FLL vs Miami and that saves us travel time and great offsite parking rather than Miami where we park at the port, since offsite parking in Miami is horrible.  Liberty has Saturday Night Fever, which we love.  Freedom does not have a major production show.  We like them all, so really just go with what works for you.

• Like 1

I haven't been on Indy but my last two cruises were on Freedom and Liberty. if choosing between those two, I would definitely choose Freedom. The pool deck has El Loco Fresh and there is a Playmakers sports bar. In my opinion, Freedom got the bigger amp job is a much better option than Liberty.

• Like 1

Having Fish N Ships with a fee on Indy instead of El Loco Fresh for free on Freedom makes me jealous of those in Miami. That said, I will happily sail and have a great time on her next month just as did on my July B2B.

Edited by OCSC Mike

As others have stated, Liberty has not been amped. I would rank them in the following order: Freedom, Independence and Liberty. While Freedom is the oldest of these ships, she is definitely in the best shape. In my opinion, Liberty definitely needs a dry dock and hopefully gets amped sometime in the near future. I would not cruise on Liberty until she gets amped as long as Freedom and Independence continue to sail 3/4 day cruises from Florida. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CharmCity2000 said:

Does Libery have any sort of arcade?  No one going on the trip drinks so I don’t think Playmakers is important.

Every ship has an arcade.

Playmakers is a sports bar.  People "die" for the onion rings and campfire cookie dessert.  Rest of the food is pretty good too.  (fee)

I would choose Freedom, too, and agree with Philly's post directly before mine.  (naturally) 😄 

Freedom does not have a Broadway show, but I always enjoy Once Upon a Time.