Sun Princess Inaugural Cruises

timtrek

Hi Everyone

Decided to book one of the first 3 cruises that were announced. Called right at 6:00 AM and got right through. Was able to reserve a "Reserve Class" Cabana room. Looking at the drawings on the website, looks like an amazing room.  I'm a little sad to see the bathtub being gone from the mini suite, but it looks like a big shower. I was told there are many room types already sold out and people are going on wait lists. $400 pp down payment and it is refundable till Nov 30, 2023, so even if things change, I feel pretty safe.  The itinerary is Rome to Barcelona - 10 days - with scheduled ports of Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi, Athens, Messina, and Mallorca. If they all stay the same it will be a great cruise as they are all ports we have never been to, except Barcelona. 

I'm not sure how some of the announced changes on the Sun will affect the culture of Princess cruises, but I am excited to find out.  

Tim

• Like 2

Last night, after too many glasses of wine, I booked the lowest level deluxe balcony on Deck 6 under the lifeboats for $7800. Balcony looks like the one I had on the last Sun Princess. 

Woke up this morning with OMG what have I done. Think i'll be cancelling this behemoth for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, billco said:

Last night, after too many glasses of wine, I booked the lowest level deluxe balcony on Deck 6 under the lifeboats for $7800. Balcony looks like the one I had on the last Sun Princess. 

Woke up this morning with OMG what have I done. Think i'll be cancelling this behemoth for sure.

🤨 oh so that's what happened.

• Haha 2

I had an email from Princess saying something BIG is coming, and quickly looked to see it was the new Sun Princess they were talking about.  I did not look any further ~ feeling sad Princess is falling into the bigger is better trap!  I prefer the smaller, more intimate vessels.   Coral Princess is my favorite ship!  (my favorite was the old Regal).

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 2

We did a Panama Canal full transit *just* before the pandemic hit in 2020 on the Pacific Princess. 675 passengers.  We'd never been on a ship like that but quickly came to the conclusion "we'll be sailing on her far into the future!"  Oh well...Princess had other ideas as the Pacific was one of the first "casualties" in the great ship sell-off. 

The sailing we were on was the first leg of an around the world cruise.  We got off in Los Angeles.  It continued on but was "recalled" when it was in the Indian Ocean due to the shutdown!  So...we were on one leg of its last cruise for Princess.  I know it now sails under the Azamara flag...but have you priced any of their sailings?

1 hour ago, GloriaF said:

I had an email from Princess saying something BIG is coming, and quickly looked to see it was the new Sun Princess they were talking about.  I did not look any further ~ feeling sad Princess is falling into the bigger is better trap!  I prefer the smaller, more intimate vessels.   Coral Princess is my favorite ship!  (my favorite was the old Regal).

Monkey see, monkey due, model seems more like Celebrity with modern furniture.  I am elite on both Princess and Celebrity, when Celebrity built new designs tried them, did not like at all and stopped cruising Celebrity.  HAL has eliminated bathtubs from their new builds except for suites, I like a bathtub so don't plan to cruise HAL anymore either.  For now I will stick to Grand and Royal class Princess ships, prefer Grand over Royal.  Seems cruise lines designs going in the wrong direction for my taste. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billco said:

Holy Smokes! I hadn't even looked at pricing or anything really for these first sailings as I know that the timing won't work for me but $7800 for a balcony???? That is waaaaay out of my price range. Lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Holy Smokes! I hadn't even looked at pricing or anything really for these first sailings as I know that the timing won't work for me but $7800 for a balcony???? That is waaaaay out of my price range. Lol

I am very curious to see the pricing for the Sun.  I know it's going to be sticker shock!

37 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I am very curious to see the pricing for the Sun.  I know it's going to be sticker shock!

Have you seen these from another thread? A deluxe balcony on Discovery’s March inaugural cruise cost only $82/pp/day and on Sun the cheapest deluxe balcony is $309/pp/day…nearly 4 times as much. Out of curiosity checked online for the promised Elite booking period ending soon & there’s nothing there for Sun…another unfulfilled Princess promise.

C94D1D77-E099-4A9D-8105-FA21D0FCB17C.png

44D85E15-B012-4103-9B38-41799C0E6584.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We did a Panama Canal full transit *just* before the pandemic hit in 2020 on the Pacific Princess. 675 passengers.  We'd never been on a ship like that but quickly came to the conclusion "we'll be sailing on her far into the future!"  Oh well...Princess had other ideas as the Pacific was one of the first "casualties" in the great ship sell-off. 

The sailing we were on was the first leg of an around the world cruise.  We got off in Los Angeles.  It continued on but was "recalled" when it was in the Indian Ocean due to the shutdown!  So...we were on one leg of its last cruise for Princess.  I know it now sails under the Azamara flag...but have you priced any of their sailings?

We are booked on Azamara Onward ( aka Pacific Princess ) 2/12/23 Lima to Miami. Check it  out. Airfare has been purchased through the Azamara air program at a reasonable price. We have booked the same cabin that we last sailed in on the Pacific Princess.

8 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thank You Astro Flyer for those pricing charts!

I actually wan't aware that these Cruises would start in Rome and Europe in February.  Brrrr!!!!  I checked and lows can be in the 30's.

Are these the only itineraries that are released for booking right now?

after the Med season, SUN, heads to FTL to do East/West Caribbean cruises - don't really care which - but would like to know dates and prices for those

• Like 1

Just got off the phone to book (I believe?) the maiden.

My shock when the sales women asked what trip I'd like, not knowing what was available. But I'm looking forward to the trip!

The second Sun Princess was my first ever cruise (at the age of 4!) - so I think I have to try her namesake.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

Monkey see, monkey due, model seems more like Celebrity with modern furniture.  I am elite on both Princess and Celebrity, when Celebrity built new designs tried them, did not like at all and stopped cruising Celebrity.  HAL has eliminated bathtubs from their new builds except for suites, I like a bathtub so don't plan to cruise HAL anymore either.  For now I will stick to Grand and Royal class Princess ships, prefer Grand over Royal.  Seems cruise lines designs going in the wrong direction for my taste. 

I tend to agree with you.  I like the "old" walk around decks. 

5 hours ago, pris993 said:

I am with you always book a mini or full suite we love to soak in the tub.

• Like 1

The new design looks really nice.  Anyone hear when 2024 Caribbean itineraries will go on sale?  

Princess is stepping up their game with suite amenities with the Reserve and Signature categories.  The cabana mini suite is intriguing but will probably be overpriced if a balcony if $7800.