"Old School" Cruise Card

Sunset329

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Yeah but if your cruise will not show up on the app you can’t order the medallion 

NOT true. I don't have the app and have been on 3 cruises in the last 6 months. I either use the web version or call the navigator line and they sent me the medallion. I took the medallion to guest services and they traded it for a traditional Black cruise card. On my last cruise last month I used the medallion but it was not connected to any app. It unlocks the door but doesn't open it, you need a free hand to turn the handle. On the Caribbean Princess you had to touch the screen outside your cabin, it didn't unlock the door as you approached.

I kept the medallion in an RFID sleeve I bought in a ten pack for my credit cards. I don't like being tracked and don't need Princess screens all over the ship to paste my picture and name up since I already know who I am. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

NOT true. I don't have the app and have been on 3 cruises in the last 6 months. I either use the web version or call the navigator line and they sent me the medallion. I took the medallion to guest services and they traded it for a traditional Black cruise card. On my last cruise last month I used the medallion but it was not connected to any app. It unlocks the door but doesn't open it, you need a free hand to turn the handle. On the Caribbean Princess you had to touch the screen outside your cabin, it didn't unlock the door as you approached.

I kept the medallion in an RFID sleeve I bought in a ten pack for my credit cards. I don't like being tracked and don't need Princess screens all over the ship to paste my picture and name up since I already know who I am. 

You will not be tracked with the traditional cruise card. The circuitry in that has a maximum range of a couple of inches. The medallion has that circuitry and a battery powered bluetooth circuit for the longer range functions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You mean that I will have to open door by myself instead of having them open for me.  The horror of it!!!

DON

Don, demand that a cabin steward be assigned to your door full time for the cruise, to open it for you.  Your doorperson can use either a Medallion or a traditional door card.

40 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I ... don't need Princess screens all over the ship to paste my picture and name up since I already know who I am. 

I thought that was a service by Princess for those of us who sometimes forget who we are, due to drink or age or ??????

1 hour ago, NownZen said:

You will not be tracked with the traditional cruise card. The circuitry in that has a maximum range of a couple of inches. The medallion has that circuitry and a battery powered bluetooth circuit for the longer range functions.

If you reread my post you will see I cannot be tracked............

"  I kept the medallion in an RFID sleeve I bought in a ten pack for my credit cards. I don't like being tracked and don't need Princess screens all over the ship to paste my picture and name up since I already know who I am. "

The medallion or cruise card cannot be scanned in an RFID sleeve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

I thought that was a service by Princess for those of us who sometimes forget who we are, due to drink or age or ??????

So far I haven't forgot who I am and I don't drink. When I do get forgetful it will be very helpful to use the full medallion features. The up side of loosing one's memory is you meet new (really the same) people every day and there is never a repeat TV show anymore (can't remember the first time you saw it)! And best of all is that every cruise and port will be new no matter how many times I've been there. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Yes, go to guest services and request one. Because the recommendation is NOT to use the medallion because of it's magnet if you have a pacemaker Princess will always keep the cruise cards available.

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They will keep the cruise cards available for those that simply refuse the medallion ... you can obtain one at the guest services desk.  

They gave me a backup card on Regal in July when I changed rooms in the middle of a B2B and my medallion initially wouldn't open the door to my new cabin on the second leg.  Their idea for the card, not mine.

I don't think Guest Services is completely doing away with cards, they're just pushing people to use the medallion and are trying not to give people a card "just because they don't like the medallion" unless they absolutely insist. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you have a newer phone or tablet, try deleting the app and reinstalling it.  I have found this to work.  

Been there does not work. I have used the app for several cruises and am losing patience

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UpcountryTravelers said:

I tried to get an "old school" cruise card on the Discovery Princess in July 2022.  They are NOT available any more.

I thought people with heart pacemakers need to avoid using the Medallion, the alternative being the old cruise card.

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If you reread my post you will see I cannot be tracked............

"  I kept the medallion in an RFID sleeve I bought in a ten pack for my credit cards. I don't like being tracked and don't need Princess screens all over the ship to paste my picture and name up since I already know who I am. "

The medallion or cruise card cannot be scanned in an RFID sleeve.

You can easily use the medallion app to change your public viewed photo to anything you like, then only the security photo can be viewed by the Princess crew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rhblake said:

Just got off the Enchanted on Saturday and do not believe there is any way to open the stateroom door without the medallion. I saw no place/no where to use a non electronic devise to open the door.

Did you ask the Pass Serv. desk for one of the older cruise cards?

From all their published information they did say the cards would be available if you preferred to use them over the Medallion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhblake said:

Just got off the Enchanted on Saturday and do not believe there is any way to open the stateroom door without the medallion. I saw no place/no where to use a non electronic devise to open the door.

The cards have an imbedded RF chip and can be used by tapping or getting within a couple inches of the medallion sensors, just like using a tap--to-pay credit card at a retail terminal. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, caribill said:

Then you had better never have a cell phone turned on when you are onm land.

I often wonder how many of those people that don't want to be tracked use credit cards, android auto/apple carplay, have an email and bank online.  Yet they get on a Princess ship and have a fear that Princess will know how much they spend & where they sit at the pool. LOL 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1