What happened to Ships on a Stick?

groundloop

On the Pride TA they told us the supplier went out of business during the pandemic and they don’t have a new supplier.  Same on the Splendor over the summer.  They had a very few SOAS’s that the cruise director gave out for a few of the activities he hosted. For trivia, etc., they gave out “bling on a string.”  I hope they find a new supplier soon!

• Like 1

On the Sunshine two weeks ago the fun squad members told us that they are giving medallions to winners of trivia and giving ships on sticks to the winners of the games where you pair up with others and form teams.  Which, of course, then leads to that awkward discussion over who, out of 8 or so people on the winning team, gets to keep the ship.

36 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

On the Sunshine two weeks ago the fun squad members told us that they are giving medallions to winners of trivia and giving ships on sticks to the winners of the games where you pair up with others and form teams.  Which, of course, then leads to that awkward discussion over who, out of 8 or so people on the winning team, gets to keep the ship.

The obvious answer is a gladiator-style fight on Lido to determine the worthy owner.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

The obvious answer is a gladiator-style fight on Lido to determine the worthy owner.

On Paradise in March, we had to do a “sing-off” to determine the winner. Sadly, I froze at the last moment (down from 7 to 3 of us) when the guy before me sang Jingle Bells and that’s what I had in my head. LOL 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjschwammy said:

They were giving away Ships on Sticks this past week on the Sunshine.

DW won a trivia less than 7 days  ago on the Sunshine and the guy had her write down her cabin number on the scoresheet and took it.

So we assumed he just forgot to bring a Ship on a Stick when he came up for trivia. We stayed for 3 more trivias and no one else got one either with other hosts.(Or medallions)

None of the trivias were much fun or conducted well so for the first time in any of our cruises we quit going.

As of Sunday we hadn't received anything yet, so DW went down to Guest Services and they called down to somebody on the Fun Team and said something would be sent to our cabin.

Woke up on Debarkation Day to find somebody had let themselves into our cabin while we slept and left 3 chocolate covered strawberries (which we should have gotten anyway as Platinum, but don't like anyway)and a note saying thanks for playing trivia.

Thankfully she had already won a Ship on a Stick for her collection on a Sunshine cruise in March.

(She had one for every cruise she has been on up until this cruise, but at least she still has one for every ship she has been on now)

Seemed more like the Fun Team have been told to only give them out for larger (theater sized trivias, etc.) and to not give out decent prizes at the smaller trivias.

I'm sure saving a  $1 ship on a stick versus giving $0.50 medallions versus giving leftover chocolate covered starwberries getting ready to be trashed is the latest cost savings.

1 minute ago, mrpayroll said:

John Heald gave them all away to people asking him to make their cruise SPECIAL....

I think we've discovered the key to Carnival's profitability. Stop letting John make people's cruises SPECIAL!

We also like to win one on every ship on which we sail.  We were on one of the last cruises that the Fantasy ever did (February 2020) prior to going to the scrap yard and they were giving away medallions to the winners of any game.  We were told that they had run out of the ships on stick so, when we got home, we bought a Fantasy ship on stick off of ebay.  I always wondered if they had reordered ships on sticks for the Fantasy and somewhere, in some warehouse, there are thousands of them that never got to be used.