Terrible Experience

rklo

I’m new to these boards. I’ve cruised 3 times prior and my recent booking will be my 4th. Thought I would relay a terrible experience I am having with Royal Caribbean.

My family booked a cruise on Harmony for a December departure. At the time of booking I was given an October 7th payment date. I was waiting to pay until the certificates I submitted 3 weeks earlier could be deposited (note:they still have not been deposited, but that’s only part of the problem). Last night, September 29th, I received 9 emails saying my reservation has been canceled by RCI because my October 7, 2022 payment date had passed. Huh, yesterday was September 29. Further, all of the packages that I booked had also been canceled and the amount I was being refunded was $0.

I spent the first 3 hours of the day just getting my reservation reinstated and using the pre-existing reservation number so that it could be used when eventually (if ever) my certificates that I submitted 3 weeks ago get approved. I also received assurances, but no email follow thru that I would actually be refunded for the packages.

I spent another hour working on figuring out why they approved my certificates, they sent me an email 6 days ago, but are refusing to deposit the amount into my account (I received “assurances” that they would get to it on Monday).

I spent an additional 2.5 hours just trying to get the packages that I had paid for added back to my reservation. They wanted to charge me 25% more to do so and were unwilling to even make me whole with on board credits. I had to tell them that what they were doing was illegal (canceling a reservation in order to charge me more) before they eventually caved and gave me just enough credits to make me whole, but nothing more.

In total, 6 hours on the phone arguing with them just to get me back to where I was yesterday before they incorrectly canceled my reservation and no offer of additional on board credits, no apology, nothing. For all I know, they’ll cancel my reservation again tonight - they couldn’t even say why it had happened in the first place, though I pressed them repeatedly to find out why lest it happen again.

Could not be more dissatisfied with my RCI choice at this moment.

Edited by rklo
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, rklo said:

I’m new to these boards. I’ve cruised 3 times prior and my recent booking will be my 4th. Thought I would relay a terrible experience I am having with Royal Caribbean.

My family booked a cruise on Harmony for a December departure. At the time of booking I was given an October 7th payment date. I was waiting to pay until the certificates I submitted 3 weeks earlier could be deposited (note:they still have not been deposited, but that’s only part of the problem). Last night, September 29th, I received 9 emails saying my reservation has been canceled by RCI because my October 7, 2022 payment date had passed. Huh, yesterday was September 29. Further, all of the packages that I booked had also been canceled and the amount I was being refunded was $0.

I spent the first 3 hours of the day just getting my reservation reinstated and using the pre-existing reservation number so that it could be used when eventually (if ever) my certificates that I submitted 3 weeks ago get approved. I also received assurances, but no email follow thru that I would actually be refunded for the packages.

I spent another hour working on figuring out why they approved my certificates, they sent me an email 6 days ago, but are refusing to deposit the amount into my account (I received “assurances” that they would get to it on Monday).

I spent an additional 2.5 hours just trying to get the packages that I had paid for added back to my reservation. They wanted to charge me 25% more to do so and were unwilling to even make me whole with on board credits. I had to tell them that what they were doing was illegal (canceling a reservation in order to charge me more) before they eventually caved and gave me just enough credits to make me whole, but nothing more.

In total, 6 hours on the phone arguing with them just to get me back to where I was yesterday before they incorrectly canceled my reservation and no offer of additional on board credits, no apology, nothing. For all I know, they’ll cancel my reservation again tonight - they couldn’t even say why it had happened in the first place, though I pressed them repeatedly to find out why lest it happen again.

Could not be more dissatisfied with my RCI choice at this moment.

When does your invoice say your final payment is? Final payments are typically due 90 days before sailing. If your final payment date is October 7, that would usually mean that you are sailing around January 7,  not December.

Is your sail date on or around December 28th? Because that would make your final payment date 9/28, canceled on 9/29 for not paying.

• Like 3

My only other suggestion is email mbayley@rccl.com. the people there seem to be able to get things done.  I agree that your final payment date seems strange for a December sail date.  I just authorized final payment for a January 6th cruise.  Final payment date is October 8th.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cured said:

When does your invoice say your final payment is? Final payments are typically due 90 days before sailing. If your final payment date is October 7, that would usually mean that you are sailing around January 7,  not December.

Is your sail date on or around December 28th? Because that would make your final payment date 9/28, canceled on 9/29 for not paying.

That's what I was thinking final payment usually 90 days before.

OP was yours a shorter cruise like 3 to 5 days is why a later final payment. Sounds like miscommunication and final payment was late so they cancelled. No one on threads I've read got their pre planner stuff back after cancellation no matter the reason even accidental. I'm doubting you will get obc to make up tne difference between old price and new prices on planner items but at least you are reinstated. 

Maybe get a TA next time? I dont know what else to suggest. It does sound complicated with all credits waiting to get applied. 

• Like 1

@rklo— I would be livid with half of what you described.  I generally really like the RC product but my current cruise booking experience has been more frustrating than past bookings.  They have a lot of IT problems right now, so sadly, I’m not surprised to hear your experience, although I should be. I hope you end up having a great cruise in spite of it

• Like 3

Your final payment for reservation xxxxxx was due on 07 OCT 2022. We never received payment and your HARMONY OF THE SEAS - 24 DEC 2022.

copied and pasted from 1 of the 9 emails I received last night for this one reservation.

Thanks all. Guess I’m most disappointed in how they reacted/handled their screwup, not that the screwup happened. People and companies make mistakes. Would have thought that they would manage a problem of their own doing better, but I was wrong. Will avoid RCI in the future.

• Haha 1

It is so very odd that your invoice states final payment date of october 7th for a sailing on december 24th.    Your final payment date should have been Sunday September 25th.   

Sounds like your reservation was messed up from day 1.    did you book direct with royal by phone or online?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, rklo said:

Deposit Due Date: 07 OCT 2022
• Final Payment Due Date: 07 OCT 2022

Copied and pasted from invoice.

Note: It is a 7 day cruise departing December 24 out of 

It's clear it's a Royal screw up. They have been ridiculously good at that lately. First hint something was wrong was the deposit and Final Payment being same day. I have learned to question everything with them, twice. 

• Like 2

Is your booking part of a Group rate?

What date was the booking made?

This may help explain (maybe):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/final-payment-schedule-policy

When is the final payment for my cruise vacation due?

A

Final payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 75 days prior to the sailing date for 1 - 4 night cruise vacations and 90 days prior to the sailing date for 5-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually have access to your cruise documents 30 days prior to your sailing as long as your reservation is finalized. 

The above information also applies to all holiday sailings, defined as sailings that occur on or between Christmas and/or New Year's day.

To make a payment on your cruise vacation, Look up my reservation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rklo said:

Deposit Due Date: 07 OCT 2022
• Final Payment Due Date: 07 OCT 2022

Copied and pasted from invoice.

Note: It is a 7 day cruise departing December 24 out of Fort Lauterdale.

Therein lies your problem.

Have you paid your deposit and packages by credit card?

when was this email dated

Edited by c-leg5

I booked a cruise in July for December and they didn't deposit my certificates into my account until the middle of September even though they accepted them in July. My final payment date was originally supposed to be September 6 but they extended it to September 9, then to September 12 which is when my certificates were finally deposited into my account. You just need to keep emailing them reminders and they should eventually get them deposited into your account. They'll keep extending your final payment date until then.

Edited by AllyG47