Hotel recommandations San Pedro

loungelady55

Hi, we will fly in on a Thursday and sail on Friday Jan 19 on Navigator.  All the hotels in the San Pedro port look kind of low end hotel types.

Any recommendations?

I do not know if it is because they have not been used for so long (Covid) or if it is because it is a huge industrial port.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, loungelady55 said:

Hi, we will fly in on a Thursday and sail on Friday Jan 19 on Navigator.  All the hotels in the San Pedro port look kind of low end hotel types.

Any recommendations?

I do not know if it is because they have not been used for so long (Covid) or if it is because it is a huge industrial port.

Thanks

I live in No CA, also.  I always fly into Long Beach, since it's a small and easier airport to get in and out of.  I usually stay at a Long Beach hotel, and then Uber to the port.  Lots less people, hotels are more reasonably priced, and no humongous traffic from LAX to deal with.

I usually check hotels.com to see what's available in LB, and then use an Uber estimator to calculate the fare to the port.  It's about a 15 minute drive.

• Like 1

Both Crown Plaza and Doubletree are good.

* Crown Plaza is a 20- minute leisurely walk to the cruise terminal. Shuttles are available for $5.50/person/each way.

* Doubletree is a bit farther, but provides a free shuttle to the cruise terminal.

• Like 2

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza as a solo traveler, and it was perfect.  I got a really good rate, ordered and picked up a takeout dinner at the Green Onion restaurant right next door (this was January 2022), and walked my big suitcase over to the port early the next morning with no issues (about a 20 minute walk, dragging my 2-wheeled suitcase); then walked back to the hotel for a leisurely breakfast before heading back over to the port with my carry on to check in and board.  Hotel was clean and accessible; room had a great view of the harbor (10th floor)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live a little over an hour from San Pedro but often stay there the night before a cruise for the convenience and low stress.  I've stayed in both the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree and like both...Neither are "low end hotel types".  Both are nice.  I think Doubletree is a little nicer but Crowne Plaza has an ib=ncredibly convenient location.  Lots of really good restaurant choices withi a block or two of the CP...and the pier is walking distance...though a shuttle or Uber is cheap and very convenient.

• Like 2

Just returned from a cruise from San Pedro and we stayed at the Crown Plaza.  We had to wait in line 45 minutes to check-in and the staff just didn't seem to care.  The one of the elevator doors was not adjusted correctly and  it shut on me as I was getting on and it left a large bruise from the impact.  Lastly, we were on the 5th floor and the windows were filthy.  Been a long time since they had been cleaned.

Great location, but seems to be going down hill.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, loungelady55 said:

Any recommendations?

Thanks

We’re on the same cruise and still trying to pick a hotel.  I use hotels.com and all the San Pedro hotels are rated “good” which usually means not great.   I’ll follow this thread to see if anyone recommends someplace else.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:22 PM, loungelady55 said:

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Sailing on Friday, January 20?  I’m sailing on the Discovery Princess on Saturday, January 21 and am staying at the Crowne Plaza.  Have stayed there a number of times—yes, not ‘great’, but a clean, comfortable place for a night before.  The walk to port is easy, safe and clean—you walk along a boardwalk for most of the time.

We’re also from Northern California and sometimes drive to port.  The CP has a stay, park, and cruise package that’s reasonable.  Their parking is covered and in a garage.  The rate for our stay in April 2023 is $288 for one night stay and 7 nights parking.

Edited by disneyochem
  • Like 1

Crown Plaza and Doubletree are highly recommended.  The Best Western (in Wilmington) is an ok alternative, but not a walkable area. Mom and Pop places are cheap for a reason, and are not recommended by residents in the area. Stick with Major chain hotels.

Personally, I have stayed at the Crown Plaza (recently - 2 weeks ago) and it was nice.  Would definately stay there pre cruise when leaving out of San Pedro (Long Beach).  They offer a shuttle, but uber shouldnt be that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do not mind a little Uber drive to the LA port and don’t mind spending the coins, I would say Terranea.   It’s in Rancho Palos Verdes.  There is a trail along the edge of the cliff that overlooks the ocean (open to public) that makes for a very nice morning walk. 

8 hours ago, sellwingri said:

We’re on the same cruise and still trying to pick a hotel.  I use hotels.com and all the San Pedro hotels are rated “good” which usually means not great.   I’ll follow this thread to see if anyone recommends someplace else.

We are on this cruise as well...and, yes, it is January 20 (Friday).  I assume that if you are spending just the night before, you are arriving January 19 (Thursday). 

Yes, there are lots of nicer hotels in the Greater Los Angeles area... HOWEVER, for us, when arriving in port just the day or night before a cruise, the major reason for choosing a hotel is CONVENIENCE.  When doing this, we like to be very close to the cruise port...and close to restaurants...since all we usually plan on doing is geting to the hotel, relaxing, having a nice dinner and very little stress in the morning checking out of the hotel and getting to the pier.

If someone is staying multiple days in Southern California pre-cruise, I wholeheartedly recommend staying somewhere else (First choice:  Santa Monica).  But, for just the day before a cruise out of San Pedro, it is really hard to beat the Crowne Plaza.  It is not a five-star luxury hotel, but, OTOH, it is plenty nice for a one night pre-cruise stay.  I typically book 4 nd 5 star hotels, for the most part...but have no problem with either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree.  The reason I recommend the CP first is for the location.  It is only about a three block walk to the cruise terminal.  The hotel now charges $5.50 pp for their shuttle...but, if you don't care to walk it, an Uber is only a few dollars as well.

There are several good, comfortable, casual and reasonably priced restaurants within a couple of blocks walk.  My favorites are the Green Onion (Mexican) and the San Pedro Brewing Company (brew pub/ecclectic) both within a half a block of the hotel..

The Doubletree is a couple of miles from the cruise terminal, perhaps a small bit nicer and in a more serene and scenic location at the yacht marina...but with few restaurants nearby, though the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown San Pedro.

For those with cars, parking at the Doubletree is in an open lot adjacent to the hotel front entrance.  Parking at the Crowne Plaza is in an underground structure below the hotel.  We were able to park in a spot between a pillar and the side wall where no other car could park next to us.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

Crown Plaza and Doubletree are highly recommended.  The Best Western (in Wilmington) is an ok alternative, but not a walkable area. Mom and Pop places are cheap for a reason, and are not recommended by residents in the area. Stick with Major chain hotels.

Personally, I have stayed at the Crown Plaza (recently - 2 weeks ago) and it was nice.  Would definately stay there pre cruise when leaving out of San Pedro (Long Beach).  They offer a shuttle, but uber shouldn't be that much.

We stayed at the Crown Plaza previously and loved it. We walked to the terminal and we are in our 70s. I heard that they are no longer a Hilton Hotel. Hoping our reservations in Jan will still be good. I do not know if this is true or not. Did you notice anything? Thank you for your help.

9 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

We stayed at the Crown Plaza previously and loved it. We walked to the terminal and we are in our 70s. I heard that they are no longer a Hilton Hotel. Hoping our reservations in Jan will still be good. I do not know if this is true or not. Did you notice anything? Thank you for your help.

Crowne Plaza is an IHG brand, not a Hilton Brand. Doubletree is a Hilton brand.

The Best Western in San Pedro closed and was converted to housing for homeless veterans.  Perhaps that's the hotel you heard about.

• Thanks 1

Neither the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, nor the DoubleTree San Pedro are "low end" hotels, both are nice.

If you want more choices, Downtown Long Beach has even better hotels, Hilton, Westin, Renaissance, Hyatt Centric, Hyatt Regency, DoubleTree and Residence Inn.

On 10/17/2022 at 5:33 AM, sellwingri said:

I don't use hotel.com, so I have no idea about their ratings, as I said above, the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, and the DoubleTree San Pedro are good hotels, which means they are not bad hotels. There are no "great" hotels in San Pedro, or Long Beach, for that matter. The nearest "great" hotel is probably the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 2:27 PM, Bruin Steve said:

For those with cars, parking at the Doubletree is in an open lot adjacent to the hotel front entrance.  

We are staying at the Doubletree in December and parking a car for 15 days.  For those who have done this, any issues?  

47 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

We are staying at the Doubletree in December and parking a car for 15 days.  For those who have done this, any issues?  

We've done this...no issues.

* Parking is outside at the Double Tree...compared to Crown Plaza which is covered/indoors, below the hotel. 

Again, no issues at the Double Tree...your car will just be exposed to the elements. Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

They aren't really "low end."  It's because there's a huge turn over for pre-cruisers who just want a place to stay for a night.  I'm Hilton brand loyal and stayed at the DT in July pre-cruise.  It was dark, outdated, and worn around the edges.  Probably worse Hilton property I have stayed at in the last two years (I have 45 nights Hilton stays).  Hilton needs to take a break at this property and do some renovations to the rooms.  Public spaces look fine, but the rooms are showing their age.  Upside, the food venues were very good for views and fare. It also appears they do a lot of weddings and public events.  So people stay because they "have to" and not because they "want to."  When you have a hotel that gets 5-7 night resort stays it's easier to keep it looking nice, rather than a turn over every 1-2 nights.