Tips increasing

MarinerAlex

Just received an email for my upcoming Nov 2022 cruise that tips increasing

$17.50 / day regular rooms

$18/day AC / Concierge

$21 / day suites

You can prepay now at today’s rate. New rates effective 10/17.

Edited by MarinerAlex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I favor this if it helps the crew, but I think it might result in the reduction of “extra” tips that might result in the crew getting fewer $$. In the past some waiters have said that only stateroom attendance received the increases. Only time will tell.

4 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Does this impact those who are fully paid for an all inclusive cruise with tips included?

It hasn't in the past.  Just like you book a cruise and the price increases your booked price doesn't go up.

1 hour ago, MarinerAlex said:

$18/day AC / Concierge

$21 / day suites

Thanks for sharing.  I also have a cruise in November, but I haven't received this e-mail yet.  

32 minutes ago, stellarose said:

if you booked gratuities included does it effect those?

Glad this the is still the policy since we have pre-paid grats on our Beyond two January back to backs. We much prefer to tip room steward and wait staff extra in cash at the end of our cruises.

If your booking includes gratuities or you have pre-paid them it will not affect you.   If gratuities are not included in your fare you may want to consider pre-paying them before 10/17.

Can you post the notice?  I have Jan cruises booked cruise only and didn't get the email.

2 hours ago, MarinerAlex said:

$18/day AC / Concierge

$21 / day suites

Can you share the body of the email? I'd like to know whether 10/17 is the cutoff date for prepaying gratuities at the previous rate or whether you have up until your sail date to prepay.  Thank you

I'm kind of surprised about folks being so concerned if they are affected. It's a $2 a day hike across the board.

So for a 14 day cruise you will pay a total of $28 more for your cruise...if you tip. Big deal IMO. I, for one, think they deserve.

And I think it would be in poor taste to reduce the amount you normally tip extra in order to make up for such a small amount.

But, hey, it's your money...

ETA: Note that the last hike was Jan. 6th, 2020...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 5

FYI, I leave the auto-gratuities on, tip the porter and room steward (on the first day), usually tip the dining staff at the end and may tip various folks who go above and beyond.

7 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

And I think it would be in poor taste to reduce the amount you normally tip extra in order to make up for such a small amount.

But, hey, it's your money...

Not entirely sure what you mean to "reduce", I'm just pointing out, right or wrong, some folks simply remove all the gratuities and never tip anyone or remove and tip just the cabin steward and their dining staff.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

FYI, I leave the auto-gratuities on, tip the porter and room steward (on the first day), usually tip the dining staff at the end and may tip various folks who go above and beyond.

Not entirely sure what you mean to "reduce", I'm just pointing out, right or wrong, some folks simply remove all the gratuities and never tip anyone or remove and tip just the cabin steward and their dining staff.  

??? I wasn't referring to you...how could I? This was your first post on this thread.

I was referring to the fear expressed by Orator in post #3:

"I favor this if it helps the crew, but I think it might result in the reduction of “extra” tips that might result in the crew getting fewer $$."

Hope this is a little clearer...

ETA: Oh, and your point about folks stopping gratuities altogether just because of this small increase is even worse!!!  That's just terrible!

Edited by dlh015
  • Thanks 1

If they are so worried about what the crew makes, why don’t they get more people on the ship by adjusting the price or make the product worth the premium being charged? The 800 passengers reported on the Millennium TA is a disgrace considering it holds 2,200. That’s 1400 times at least $15.50 per day that’s not going into the pool. There is also the gratuities, from all the onboard spending that is not there. 

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If they are so worried about what the crew makes, why don’t they get more people on the ship by adjusting the price or make the product worth the premium being charged? The 800 passengers reported on the Millennium TA is a disgrace considering it holds 2,200. That’s 1400 times at least $15.50 per day that’s not going into the pool. There is also the gratuities, from all the onboard spending that is not there. 

The Millie crew reports the last two sailings were only around 300 pax.  I believe the older sailing was their last Alaska sailing and their last was a repositioning to San Diego.

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Does this impact those who are fully paid for an all inclusive cruise with tips included?

it shouldn't affect those with all inclusive.  Future cruises may see the fare increased slightly but doubt it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The Millie crew reports the last two sailings were only around 300 pax.  I believe the older sailing was their last Alaska sailing and their last was a repositioning to San Diego.

According to the post about ships passenger counts, it is currently doing a Panama Canal ending up in San Diego.