Royal Up Upgrade

I am currently in a Grand Suite on the Jan. 6 Jewel sailing.  It is now past final payment and there are no GS left, only 5 Owner Suites. Since I have never done this, if there is an offer for an upgrade how much of a minimum offer per person could I expect?

1 hour ago, whoshwhosh said:

I am currently in a Grand Suite on the Jan. 6 Jewel sailing.  It is now past final payment and there are no GS left, only 5 Owner Suites. Since I have never done this, if there is an offer for an upgrade how much of a minimum offer per person could I expect?

Wait until you get an email, or wait until December 7 (30 days out) and use the link that has been posted.  The minimum bid will be stated for each category.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:59 AM, carlosalonsor said:

For me it's a strange situation. 

I booked directly with RC and I keep getting the 30 days error message, however there are other fellow cruisers in the same sailing who have been able to bid.   

Type your name in all caps, sometimes that seems to help

• Thanks 2

just won my royal up bid on this sunday's oasis

we booked this trip about 2.5 weeks ago  .. .last minute.

a connecting interior was about $3100 and that's what I booked to get on the ship.  we need to get away and would have been content to just be cruising .. but it has been awhile since we did an interior.... and a connecting interior meant chair not sofa 

ocean view balcony was going about $5100 at the time.

I bid the max at $1300 and got it today -- cabin on deck 7 

very happy as this saved us $700 vs booking the balcony on the original reservation 

I  did check pricing last night and this morning --  they still had $5100 for the ocean view balcony and there were 9 available on various floors.

if it was less and reasonable I would have just tried to upgrade vs  hoping on a royal up acceptance.

1st time royal up  bidder --- generally book a year or two out for my cruises 

We are sailing on the Mariner this weekend, October 16.  I received the Royal Up email on August 17, September 21, October 11, and again today, two days before sailing. We love our cabin and are not interested in upgrading.  Apparently they think someone else would also love it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Got the Royal up for our mid December sailings.  The bids are too high to even entertain the thought.  Now that everyone’s back cruising I don’t think we’ll be doing it often.  

Pre-COVID I never won a Royal Up bid. On my first six cruises last Summer/Fall I upgraded from a balcony to a JS with a minimum Royal Up bid. Since that time I have not won any bids, although my bids are always on the low side so not a surprise. 

10 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

just won my royal up bid on this sunday's oasis

we booked this trip about 2.5 weeks ago  .. .last minute.

a connecting interior was about $3100 and that's what I booked to get on the ship.  we need to get away and would have been content to just be cruising .. but it has been awhile since we did an interior.... and a connecting interior meant chair not sofa 

ocean view balcony was going about $5100 at the time.

I bid the max at $1300 and got it today -- cabin on deck 7 

very happy as this saved us $700 vs booking the balcony on the original reservation 

I  did check pricing last night and this morning --  they still had $5100 for the ocean view balcony and there were 9 available on various floors.

if it was less and reasonable I would have just tried to upgrade vs  hoping on a royal up acceptance.

1st time royal up  bidder --- generally book a year or two out for my cruises 

OmG!  How many people are in that cabin for that price? 

• Like 1

Yea..it's a lot for 2 of us but last minute cruise and we need to get away.  I generally book when new schedules come out year or 2 in advance.  We could have waited to sail Anthem in November for significantly less than Oasis for Oct 16th but tired of Anthem and did not want to wait 4 more weeks for vacation.  

I did look at flying to Aruba for week of Oct 16th too comparing airfare/hotel to Oasis price but Aruba was costing 1k more and that did not include food or rental car.  Plus the hassle of flying.

Both are significantly more expensive then our original vacation of adventure of seas bermuda oct 22  5 night for $1154 total in a balcony ...less than $600 each!  We cxld that when I had to schedule my surgery.  

But trying to compare adventure to oasis  and 5 night to 7 night is a waste of time...

Sometimes you pay more to get the week you need. 

Grateful our bosses agreed to time off when we requested it about 2 weeks ago. 

Hopefully by the time we get back our condo sale will be cleared for closing and we can start final packing for our move.  It's been hell since August 10th  ..3rd attempt to sell our condo / 5th attempt to buy a new place...everything contingent on other people.

16 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

Yea..it's a lot for 2 of us but last minute cruise and we need to get away.  I generally book when new schedules come out year or 2 in advance.  We could have waited to sail Anthem in November for significantly less than Oasis for Oct 16th but tired of Anthem and did not want to wait 4 more weeks for vacation.  

I did look at flying to Aruba for week of Oct 16th too comparing airfare/hotel to Oasis price but Aruba was costing 1k more and that did not include food or rental car.  Plus the hassle of flying.

Both are significantly more expensive then our original vacation of adventure of seas bermuda oct 22  5 night for $1154 total in a balcony ...less than $600 each!  We cxld that when I had to schedule my surgery.  

But trying to compare adventure to oasis  and 5 night to 7 night is a waste of time...

Sometimes you pay more to get the week you need. 

Grateful our bosses agreed to time off when we requested it about 2 weeks ago. 

Hopefully by the time we get back our condo sale will be cleared for closing and we can start final packing for our move.  It's been hell since August 10th  ..3rd attempt to sell our condo / 5th attempt to buy a new place...everything contingent on other people.

Good luck with the condo. Yes, that's a lot for only 7 days with 2 people in a balcony. I've booked last minute as well. Actually, I  do that a lot when sailing solo as the pricing works out better for me usually as the single supplement gets reduce closer to many sailing dates. When sailing with 2 in our cabin, I'll book it a little more in advance since someone else will be impacted by the planning.

. Enjoy your cruise. 

On 10/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, 1bravesfan said:

I should have done my research before putting in a bid.  I bid the minimum on a suite and grand suite.  It would be a bummer to miss out on some of the Suite Perks if they were to accept after the ship had sailed.

If no one has mentioned it, you can modify or change your bid anytime before 2 hours prior to departure.

34 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

If no one has mentioned it, you can modify or change your bid anytime before 2 hours prior to departure.

Was just able to figure out my GTY Balcony on Radiance of the Seas cruise using the bar code trick and not sure I like the location (Cabin 7644).  May have to up my bid or ask to be relocated in the same category.

What do you guys usually bid? Like do you usually do minimum or go up a bit? or even do the max? We were thinking about doing Royal Up upgrade from a balcony to either a larger room with balcony or JS but it would only make sense if we do the minimum, anything more, it would be too much and not worth it for us. Just wanted to see what people usually do and what tends to get accepted often. Thanks!

1 hour ago, nolegirl01 said:

it would only make sense if we do the minimum, anything more, it would be too much and not worth it for us

Then that's what you should bid... whatever it's worth it to you. Just make sure you're bidding less than it would cost to just pay to upgrade.

As an example, we can upgrade (not RoyalUp, just pay) from an interior to a balcony for $100 total for 2 of us on our 4-night Indy cruise on Monday. On paper, it's a no-brainer, but we don't actually use our balcony hardly at all when we have one so we're debating. Everyone has their own values and preferences.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1