Live from Coral Princess - Round Australia October 2022

DH & I were on this 28 day cruise around Australia.  Due to changes in itinerary (as well as everything else onboard) we decided to disembark in Melbourne last Sunday.

We were extremely cautious and vigilant throughout the cruise.  Masked up indoors and mostly outdoors unless socially distanced.  Washy washy, sanitise at every opportunity.  Did not visit the theatre for the shows or lectures nor did we sit in the Universe lounge for performances by guest artists.  Rarely sat in any of the bars unless we could socially distance.  We didn't do any tours onland.  It was definitely not like cruising preCovid.  We did NOT contract Covid onboard and continually tested negative but .... at home at lunch time yesterday (Monday) we were feeling the onset of a cold.  Did a RAT and we were positive.

Fortunately we were home and our GP quickly organised antivirals for us (both in our 70s) and we are starting to feel a little better after our 2nd dose this morning. Thankfully we were home and not still onboard.

I'm not complaining at all, but I urge everyone if on a cruise - be careful and be vigilant.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

DH & I were on this 28 day cruise around Australia.  Due to changes in itinerary (as well as everything else onboard) we decided to disembark in Melbourne last Sunday.

We were extremely cautious and vigilant throughout the cruise.  Masked up indoors and mostly outdoors unless socially distanced.  Washy washy, sanitise at every opportunity.  Did not visit the theatre for the shows or lectures nor did we sit in the Universe lounge for performances by guest artists.  Rarely sat in any of the bars unless we could socially distance.  We didn't do any tours onland.  It was definitely not like cruising preCovid.  We did NOT contract Covid onboard and continually tested negative but .... at home at lunch time yesterday (Monday) we were feeling the onset of a cold.  Did a RAT and we were positive.

Fortunately we were home and our GP quickly organised antivirals for us (both in our 70s) and we are starting to feel a little better after our 2nd dose this morning. Thankfully we were home and not still onboard.

I'm not complaining at all, but I urge everyone if on a cruise - be careful and be vigilant.

Bad luck. Crikey you missed just about everything on the ship. Get well soon.

Like you, several other CC people on the cruise were vigilant  but still copped a dose of the lurgy.

I wonder how many other pax disembarked early at various ports?

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Bad luck. Crikey you missed just about everything on the ship. Get well soon.

Like you, several other CC people on the cruise were vigilant  but still copped a dose of the lurgy.

I wonder how many other pax disembarked early at various ports?

Well, I will still be getting on board on Thursday.

After 34 months without a cruise. 

I will take whatever is coming my way.

Be safe everyone.

• Like 5

It's just a numbers game. As you read, the OP took extensive precautions...more than I plan to take...and he still got it. I don't think its about "being careful" or "being safe"...as we all do that. It's about being in or touching the wrong place at the wrong time. That's how infections work.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LC1950 said:

Did the doctor organise it electronically after you called, or did you have to go in?

10 hours ago, LC1950 said:

It is amazing how many passengers test positive for Covid following disembarkation.  This was the reason the cruiselines originally shortened the length of cruises.  Sorry you caught Covid despite being careful and vigilant.  It is a shame you gave up the theatre, Universe lounge, sitting in bars and doing onland tours, definitely not like cruising preCovid, yet you still caught Covid.  I wish you both a speedy recovery now that you are on antivirals under the care of your GP.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jacster99 said:

Did the doctor organise it electronically after you called, or did you have to go in?

Organised electronically.

3rd dose of antivirals last night and woke up feeling "normal".  Sheesh, I don't know what's in those things but they sure seem to be doing the trick. 😀

• Like 5

I think I've got Rebound Covid. I started to get a very, very mild sore throat last night. This morning I woke up with the stuffy nose and I feel a bit tired. It all feels very familiar! I did a RAT this morning but it was negative. I'll know for sure if I start sneezing later today. Hopefully I'll get over it quickly, we're catching up with a friend from Singapore on Friday and I'd hate to miss that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think I've got Rebound Covid. I started to get a very, very mild sore throat last night. This morning I woke up with the stuffy nose and I feel a bit tired. It all feels very familiar! I did a RAT this morning but it was negative. I'll know for sure if I start sneezing later today. Hopefully I'll get over it quickly, we're catching up with a friend from Singapore on Friday and I'd hate to miss that.

That’s no good. Sorry we never got to see you again before disembarkation. Take care 🥰🥰🥰

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh I hope not.  I wondered if you were exhausted from your cruise.

There must be a sensible cut-off point somewhere. That disembarking early, masking up and hiding away business seens to me a panicky over-reaction. (Go ahead, slam me)

Responsible people are 4x vaccinated Do PERHAPS one pre-trip test if it is DEMANDED by the authorities or cruise lines.

Pre all this,  thousands of people were travelling with the flu or other infectious diseases. They had it and likely didn't know about it. Had people been tested, cases would have been found for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buchhalm said:

There must be a sensible cut-off point somewhere. That disembarking early, masking up and hiding away business seens to me a panicky over-reaction. (Go ahead, slam me)

Responsible people are 4x vaccinated Do PERHAPS one pre-trip test if it is DEMANDED by the authorities or cruise lines.

Pre all this,  thousands of people were travelling with the flu or other infectious diseases. They had it and likely didn't know about it. Had people been tested, cases would have been found for sure.

Tell that to the Australian media, who get hysterical every time there are cases on cruise ships.  We all do our bit to stop the industry shutting down again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh I hope not.  I wondered if you were exhausted from your cruise.

Not really except I had an upset tummy on the last day - cramps and some discomfort. I had Buscopan for it which worked but I felt really tired that day and packing was a chore. That may have tipped me over the edge. 

Anyway whatever it is it's very mild so hopefully I'll get over it quickly. I'll do another RAT tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

That’s no good. Sorry we never got to see you again before disembarkation. Take care 🥰🥰🥰

Yes, somehow our paths never crossed. 

Have a good trip to South Africa. 😘😘😘

1 hour ago, buchhalm said:

It's personal choice. 

We were relatively sensible. We wore our P2 masks when moving around inside the ship and in crowded venues like the theatre and Universe Lounge but removed them in Good Spirits or other bars if we felt the seating was appropriately spaced. That may have been why I caught Covid as more than once other people weren't considerate and would stand right next to us, unmasked, while talking to their friends at another table.

However masks only provide a certain amount of protection against catching the virus, they are more effective at preventing the spread of the virus from the wearer who may not yet know they have Covid. That's why it's important for everyone to wear them properly. 

The best time to disembark is late, once the rush is over. We left our cabin around 7:30, had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR, then strolled off the ship about 8:15 - our scheduled time was 7:45. There were no queues in the terminal at all. 

I'm not upset about catching Covid on the cruise. We still had fun, plenty of good food and wine, and no household chores to do. Sure we missed a couple of ports other than the weather affected ones but we got to the one we really wanted to go to so we're happy. Anyway we're doing the same cruise next year so hopefully we'll get to the missed ports on that cruise.

15 minutes ago, Jacster99 said:

Tell that to the Australian media, who get hysterical every time there are cases on cruise ships.  We all do our bit to stop the industry shutting down again.

The Australian gutter press get hysterical about anything that might get them ratings. Unfortunately there are too many idiots who believe their nonsense. The rest of us just keep on cruising! 🤣

We've done our bit this year. 66 days on Coral Princess and we still have a Xmas/NY cruise on Westerdam to come. 😊😊😊

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Australian gutter press get hysterical about anything that might get them ratings. Unfortunately there are too many idiots who believe their nonsense. The rest of us just keep on cruising! 🤣

We've done our bit this year. 66 days on Coral Princess and we still have a Xmas/NY cruise on Westerdam to come. 😊😊😊

Yes enjoy Julie…we have had three cruises the Med and UK this summer. Also looking forward to our Christmas/NY cruise on Azamara.   My husband today was saying all the media look for is bad news.  Never anything good. 🍸🍸🍸

Eileen

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Yes enjoy Julie…we have had three cruises the Med and UK this summer. Also looking forward to our Christmas/NY cruise on Azamara.   My husband today was saying all the media look for is bad news.  Never anything good. 🍸🍸🍸

Eileen

Not all the media.

The ABC has had a couple of balanced articles about cruising recently.

• Like 1

It's not just cruises but travel in general. Everyone I know who has travelled overseas has come back with covid despite precautions. And all recovered quickly without antivirals. It's interesting reading the Viking cruises whose ships are starting to wind their way south to Australia. Suddenly after months of 'what is covid' life, they are facing testing and restrictions and given there are no covid testing requirements coming to Australia by plane, are finding it all rather ridiculous the requirements of cruise passengers.  I can't take the antiviral anyway as I'm on blood thinners. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

It's not just cruises but travel in general. Everyone I know who has travelled overseas has come back with covid despite precautions. And all recovered quickly without antivirals. It's interesting reading the Viking cruises whose ships are starting to wind their way south to Australia. Suddenly after months of 'what is covid' life, they are facing testing and restrictions and given there are no covid testing requirements coming to Australia by plane, are finding it all rather ridiculous the requirements of cruise passengers.  I can't take the antiviral anyway as I'm on blood thinners. 

I know this forum is not supposed to be about medical questions, but do you have more information about what sort of blood thinners, and was it a doctor who told you that? Aspirin & fish oil thin the blood, and maybe Statins.

6 hours ago, Jacster99 said:

I know this forum is not supposed to be about medical questions, but do you have more information about what sort of blood thinners, and was it a doctor who told you that? Aspirin & fish oil thin the blood, and maybe Statins.

I'm on a dedicated blood thinner Xarelto, kind of like warfarin, as I have an auto immune illness that makes me throw random DVT's. I had one in my internal jugular vein. It is listed on the TGA contraindications for the main anti viral. I understand aspirin etc are perfectly fine but the medical people will check if you ever need the antivirals. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I'm on a dedicated blood thinner Xarelto, kind of like warfarin, as I have an auto immune illness that makes me throw random DVT's. I had one in my internal jugular vein. It is listed on the TGA contraindications for the main anti viral. I understand aspirin etc are perfectly fine but the medical people will check if you ever need the antivirals. 

If it helps, you may not need the antiviral.  Because I tested positive aboard, and I’m in the right age group, I was immediately given Paxlovid, together with some complementary prescription meds, including an antibiotic for the chest infection caused by the virus.  Within two days, I was registering Negative on  self-administered RATS (in UK they’re called Lateral Flow Tests).  My husband didn’t register a Positive till just before disembarkation, so he missed out on the antivirals, etc., even though he’s five years older than I.  He sailed (pun again) through Covid, with a slight head cold and croaky (but not sore) throat for three days.  He recovered completely almost immediately after that, and six weeks later is still in robust health.  

Just over a week after my Negative, and feeling quite clever, I did another RAT out of curiosity, and was dismayed to register Positive.  I’m still coughing weeks later, although I’ve had no other symptoms at all.

Lots of research being conducted now on Covid Rebound for those who have been prescribed antivirals.  Our doctor friend who’s also suffered Covid Rebound after antivirals said the thought is that although the powerful antivirals successfully attack the virus, tiny pockets can remain in some taking the antivirals, leading to a resurgence.  This does not seem to apply to all who’ve taken the medication.

My point is that in the long run, my husband, without antivirals, fared much, much better than I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1