So, What Is The Final Word...

Ret MP

Is the paper Compass officially out on all Royal Caribbean ships? 

If not, is it like it used to be before COVID debacle?

If not, is it still placed in your cabin daily?

If so, can you go to Guest Relations and get one?

If so, can you get a paper Compass at all?

Bla bla bla

We have only stayed in Suites, and we have gotten it every night we have sailed. We have heard that only guests in Suites get them every night, others do not. With that said, apparently you can ask your room steward to have them and they will leave one in your room every evening. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GTO-Girl said:

Last month on the Harmony we never got one.  I didn’t bother to ask the room steward as I mostly used my app.

however……I did miss it so on my next cruise I am definitely going to request it every day…

I don't like to carry my phone while on a cruise.  I carry a camera, a real camera, not a good camera, just a real camera, one that doesn't ring when I'm in the middle of filming or taking a picture.  But, I digress.  About the only part of the Compass that I like to tear out and carry around is the part that gives me the operating hours of the various restaurants, shows, shops and more for that day.   

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

We had paper on Voyager last week.  I don't think it was being in a suite or our age because I think everyone got paper.  

On my last cruise in May on the Ovation, we were in a Star Loft and we got the Compass every evening.  I never gave it a though that it had anything to do with being in a suite.  But, to be honest, I didn't think anything of it and didn't ask.  

I only made this tread because I've read, in many media venues that Royal and others have discontinued as much paper products in cabins as possible. 

If I have to go to Guest Services to get one, so be it.  But, I want it available (not that it matters what I want) in paper form.  

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Is the paper Compass officially out on all Royal Caribbean ships? 

If not, is it like it used to be before COVID debacle?

If not, is it still placed in your cabin daily?

If so, can you go to Guest Relations and get one?

If so, can you get a paper Compass at all?

Bla bla bla

Was on Allure in August and had paper Compass each night.  But what a change over the past 10 years.  All the beautiful magazines in cabin are gone.  Cruise lines must be saving a forest each week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I don't like to carry my phone while on a cruise.  I carry a camera, a real camera, not a good camera, just a real camera, one that doesn't ring when I'm in the middle of filming or taking a picture.  But, I digress.  About the only part of the Compass that I like to tear out and carry around is the part that gives me the operating hours of the various restaurants, shows, shops and more for that day.   

I don’t particularly like carrying a phone with me but my pacemaker is monitored 24/7 on my phone so I have no choice.  

But I do enjoy having the paper Cruise Compass because I like to read it before going to bed to decide what things I might like to do the next day.

• Like 2

Was on Oasis Sept 25.  didn't get compass first day and asked cabin attendant and he couldn't find one for day 1 but brought them every day after.

Vision fair.  Can't read on the phone. Need paper so I can use my magnifying glass that I bring along.  I understand they are trying to cut costs, but not everyone can or wants to carry a phone around all the time.  Personally I need to highlight items so I don't forget them.  

45 minutes ago, lkneller said:

Was on Oasis Sept 25.  didn't get compass first day and asked cabin attendant and he couldn't find one for day 1 but brought them every day after.

45 minutes ago, lkneller said:

The same for us on Sept 18-25.  Still haven't found a copy of day 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

We have only stayed in Suites, and we have gotten it every night we have sailed. We have heard that only guests in Suites get them every night, others do not. With that said, apparently you can ask your room steward to have them and they will leave one in your room every evening. 

We were in a lowly balcony in May and August.   We got the Compass every night, without asking.  All the info is on the app, just formatted differently.  

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

On my last cruise in May on the Ovation, we were in a Star Loft and we got the Compass every evening.  I never gave it a though that it had anything to do with being in a suite.  But, to be honest, I didn't think anything of it and didn't ask.  

I only made this tread because I've read, in many media venues that Royal and others have discontinued as much paper products in cabins as possible. 

If I have to go to Guest Services to get one, so be it.  But, I want it available (not that it matters what I want) in paper form.  

At least you don't have to carry on your nightstick, after all your not on Carnival!!😁

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Last month on the Harmony we never got one.  I didn’t bother to ask the room steward as I mostly used my app.

however……I did miss it so on my next cruise I am definitely going to request it every day…

We were on the same Harmony cruise in September in a JS. I requested paper compasses from our stateroom attendant and got them every day except day 1. By the time I caught up with her to ask for them she wasn’t able to get that one, but by the time I asked it didn’t really matter anyway. 

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

You could carry both the camera and the phone at the same time.  Pockets are helpful.

On Jewel in December,  April and May in balcony cabins. Got paper. Think I reminded cabin steward that we wanted it, no problem.  On Liberty innAugust in JS got one.  Did try to scan the QR code with my phone but way too small to read. 

In May we never asked for a paper copy of the compass but but got one every night. Someone saw me reading it one morning at cafe promenade and said their room attendant had stated he couldn't get them and when she asked at customer services they didn't have them either.

We were just lowly Diamonds 😀 staying in a JS so not sure why we were chosen to have a paper copy.

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

You could carry both the camera and the phone at the same time.  Pockets are helpful.

Nope.  You're missing the point!  

I don't want to carry the freak'in phone.  And to be honest, I don't like the app either.  But, that's just me!  AND, I have been know to carry the damn thing when things are happening in life that I can't avoid.  But, believe me, I don't want to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw paper one day on a steward's cart.  I never saw paper in the slots by Guest Services where they used to be way back when.  I didn't know we could ask for a paper version.  I did go on app to see the activities.  It worked fine, but for those without smart phones, they will need a paper version so they can't go away entirely.

On Grandeur a couple weeks ago, there was a sign in the cabin basically saying Scan this QR code on your phone to get today's Compass in .PDF format, but if you really want a paper one, ask your room steward.

Our experience was that the app listed most, but not ALL of the activities.  The Compass was more complete in this regard.

Edited by EleventyBangBang
  • Like 1