Does it add a lot of time to the boarding process if picking up medallion at the pier?

Smokeyham

Hello,

We have requested that our medallions not be sent to our home but that they be available for us to pick up at the pier.  I assume most people have them sent to their home, but have you seen (or experienced) long lines at the pier for people picking up their medallions?  Just planning ahead for our arrival time.

Thanks.......

4 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

We have requested that our medallions not be sent to our home but that they be available for us to pick up at the pier.  I assume most people have them sent to their home, but have you seen (or experienced) long lines at the pier for people picking up their medallions?  Just planning ahead for our arrival time.

Thanks.......

Very quick, only an extra 2 mins. PCL has this down pat. 

Picking up the medallion takes very little time. If you purchased any accessories it takes a couple extra minutes. This is because they have everyone’s accessories in bags with names on each one and it can take a couple minutes to find the bag with your name on it.

Whether one minute or two, no reasonable amount of time spent is worth the anxiety created if you don't receive it in the mail before departure. Someone goes through you mailbox and knows you are on vacation. Best to get it at the port.

8 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Personal experience. Went on Alaska cruise. Came home and house had been burglarized. Long story, but involved the mail. 

OK - understand you had a bad experience. But, realistically, the chances are minute. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

OK - understand you had a bad experience. But, realistically, the chances are minute. 

This is the first time I have  seen a first hand report of a burglary happening because someone searched the mail but sadly I know too many instances of people being burglarized because people decided to plaster it all over social media that they were going to be or were already out of town.  I can understand people trying to minimize the number of ways that someone is made aware of their absence from their home.  I now only divulge my trips ahead of time when someone will still be at my home during my absence.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

but sadly I know too many instances of people being burglarized because people decided to plaster it all over social media that they were going to be or were already out of town.

Joining a real name chat board and posting about your upcoming vacation plans is about the easiest way possible to direct thieves to your door.  Best to post something to the tune of: "I'm getting ready to board the Ruby Princess on 11/1.  Got my Ring camera all set up and linked to the local police, and by nephew is going to house sit for us to take care of our three Dobermans.  😉 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

Joining a real name chat board and posting about your upcoming vacation plans is about the easiest way possible to direct thieves to your door.  Best to post something to the tune of: "I'm getting ready to board the Ruby Princess on 11/1.  Got my Ring camera all set up and linked to the local police, and by nephew is going to house sit for us to take care of our three Dobermans.  😉 

It is not possible to have Medallions shipped to your home address in the UK.

But even so, to have a miscreant intercept your mail, find your Medallions,  identify which cruise you are going on, plus the duration of the cruise, and determine that your house would be empty for all that time,  signifies a criminal master mind such as which would defeat even Sherlock Holmes! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I never understood why people want to get them at home?

I think that it is one less thing to worry about when you get to the pier.  Plus it would be fun to have something physical to help build the excitement for the upcoming cruise.  Not to everyone's taste, but I can understand why some might like to receive them in advance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

I think that it is one less thing to worry about when you get to the pier

Did people worry about getting their cruise card at the pier in pre - Medallion times ?

Of all the things to worry about,  getting my card was the least of them ! 

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Did people worry about getting their cruise card at the pier in pre - Medallion times ?

Of all the things to worry about,  getting my card was the least of them ! 

@wowzz

In the past getting your cruise card at the pier was the only option.  Now,  at least for those in the U.S., there are options so asking about which is the better of the provided options is a valid question.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 10:39 PM, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

Thanks.......

Quick update.....   Picking up the medallion at the pier worked out very well for use.  The embarkation process in Vancouver BC was very quick.  They verified our identity with our passports and then handed us our medallions. 

• Like 1