Can you still order 2 items at once in MDR?

oyme

With all the recent cutbacks is Carnival still allowing you to order 2 appetizers at once or 2 entrees at once or 2 desserts at once, etc. in the MDR? This never used to be an issue but with all their penny pinching lately just curious if this has changed too. Thanks!

• Like 1

Two orders today is roughly equal to one before COVID. They have reduced the portion sizes significantly. But as you said you can just order more. Not a huge deal in my mind because the food is also not as good so I don't want to eat as much as before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Two orders today is roughly equal to one before COVID. They have reduced the portion sizes significantly. But as you said you can just order more. Not a huge deal in my mind because the food is also not as good so I don't want to eat as much as before.

When we sailed on Magic in August several of our tablemates ordered multiple appetizers and entrees. I'm more inclined to order multiple appetizers and skip the entrees - I just think the appetizers are better.

• Like 2

You most definitely can! I was just on the Ecstasy a few weeks ago (2nd to last sailing for her), and a couple guys at the table next to us one night ordered 3 apps, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts EACH and they didn't have any issues. I also ordered a 2nd dessert one night because the first one was so good, I wanted a second helping. (Not that it matters, but it was a very small portion).

As far as portion sizes, it depends on what it is. I ordered a chicken parm dish one night, which was huge, and a different chicken dish with the same cut of meat another night and it was significantly smaller. 

They also don't bring a whole basket of bread to the table anymore and are coming around and letting you choose one, but of course you can also ask for additional bread/butter.

6 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

When we sailed on Magic in August several of our tablemates ordered multiple appetizers and entrees. I'm more inclined to order multiple appetizers and skip the entrees - I just think the appetizers are better.

If you like shrimp cocktail, you need to order about 6 servings of their small size they serve in the MDR to make it worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor

Yes, but now it takes twice as long to receive the second order as some ships staff just refuse to bring two orders at the same time.

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you like shrimp cocktail, you need to order about 6 servings of their small size they serve in the MDR to make it worth it.

If you've ever read any of Jamman's great reviews, he always orders shrimp cocktail and he posts pictures.  Asked him once if he took picture when he was almost finished eating it.  He said no-that's it!!!

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

This also applies to the calamari. They are tiny tiny tiny in a huge bowl and just look ridiculous! We got a good laugh!

9 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Yes, but now it takes twice as long to receive the second order as some ships staff just refuse to bring two orders at the same time.

Never been my experience.

2 hours ago, Bollycats said:

This also applies to the calamari. They are tiny tiny tiny in a huge bowl and just look ridiculous! We got a good laugh!

It's not the waitstaff, it's just the way they are served from the kitchen. I saw another post that was mad that the server brought out 5 plates with two hashbrowns each on them for an order of ten but it's just the way they are served from the kitchen. What I do is for multiple appetizers and small orders is to quickly combine the plates by dumping each onto one (as they are served) and then stacking the remaining bowels and plates underneath the one I'm eating on. Keeps the table clear, raises the food up a bit and makes it easier on staff to clear the plates.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's not the waitstaff, it's just the way they are served from the kitchen. I saw another post that was mad that the server brought out 5 plates with two hashbrowns each on them for an order of ten but it's just the way they are served from the kitchen. What I do is for multiple appetizers and small orders is to quickly combine the plates by dumping each onto one (as they are served) and then stacking the remaining bowels and plates underneath the one I'm eating on. Keeps the table clear, raises the food up a bit and makes it easier on staff to clear the plates.   

The food is pre-plated. It is what it is and not Burger King.

29 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

What I do is for multiple appetizers and small orders is to quickly combine the plates by dumping each onto one (as they are served) and then stacking the remaining bowels and plates underneath the one I'm eating on

Bowels" is a very unfortunate but funny typo.  lol      😉

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Bollycats said:

This is kind of funny because I LOVE CCL's calamari.  They serve it on night 1 and that's when I go to the Steakhouse (not for the steak, but for the free wine lol) at 6pm.  Since YTD opens at 5:30 I was thinking of ordering calamari alone then going to steakhouse but was afraid it would ruin my appetite. 🤨