HAL introduced new show titled "A City on the Sea"

BermudaBound2014

This has been being developed slowly over my past few cruises.  Originally it was a media presentation of behind the scenes of the cruise ship.  It reduces the crew and captain’s role in the meet the captain presentation.  I hope there is still a roll for active audience/crew interaction in the question and answer period.  

They have also introduced multimedia “talks” presented by the cruise director to replace enrichment.  .  The cruise director is becoming a mere presenter and the guest lecturer is almost extinct.   What i have witnessed depersonalizes the crew.  I guess there is no room left in the travel industry for intellectual curiosity, perhaps it is too challenging.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Will début on the Rotterdam's crossing...

image.png.904ce922c49cf7e749df7ea596a5ca84.png

Some of you may find this article interesting:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/holland-america-lines-city-sea-180500185.html

Thank you for posting this.  I am certain that I would like to see this presentation.  Maybe it is a realization in the executive office working with entertainment that what goes on "behind the scenes" is of interest to some.  The past programming regarding this topic has improved over the years.  People have questions; people are curious.  Maybe, such a program would make more "live" Behind the Scenes Tours" available.  Such a presentation might increase the demand for more of those extra cost tours that must be money makers for HAL.  

• Like 3

We paid a lot to take a ship tour of the Westerdam a few years ago.  We toured the bridge as well as the laundry, recycling, and many areas down below in the working and  crew area.  Because of Covid the ship tours are no longer offered.  I think “A City on the Sea” is a great idea.   I hope it is offered on our Koningsdam Hawaii cruise in February.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Such a presentation might increase the demand for more of those extra cost tours that must be money makers for HAL.  

Or, it might be designed to avoid liability. I've always wondered how the legal team felt about dragging 20 passengers thru the galley. Liability must be a concern somewhere. This seems a good way to avoid liability yet still offer an interesting experience to guests. If the behind the scenes tours never come back I think we will have our answer, because, as you say, they do generate revenue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back around 10 years ago I took a Behind the Scenes tour that was offered of the Veendam theater. They showed us the props, costumes and the stagecraft involved in the productions. One of the takeaways was just how small and narrow the changing and makeup areas were. Imagine a large family all using a single bathroom in a house.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Or, it might be designed to avoid liability. I've always wondered how the legal team felt about dragging 20 passengers thru the galley. Liability must be a concern somewhere. This seems a good way to avoid liability yet still offer an interesting experience to guests. If the behind the scenes tours never come back I think we will have our answer, because, as you say, they do generate revenue.

I agree, a liability and maybe a pain in the butt for crew?

I was (am) a fan of the behind the scenes tours, and although I miss them, I always felt a little conflicted when we did the tour for all the crew that had to work in the areas that were being toured that day. We had to be a big pain the butt for them.

Even though I miss them, overall I think these videos and the Q&A with the captain session are a better way going forward (and they are free!)

• Like 2

Will this be offered on all HAL ship eventually?  It does sound interesting, especially if there is a Q&A afterward.  We did a "behind the scenes" on a Carnival ship several years ago.  I can understand them wanting to reduce their liability, we were all over that ship.  I can see where it is a pain for the crew working that day.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Behind the Scenes tour we did before Covid was only 12 people, and was excellent.

Remember, pre-Covid, anyone could, and did tour the Galley, usually on the first sea day at 10am. Far more people went through the galley on those tours than ever on "Behind the Scenes" tours.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Behind the Scenes tour we did before Covid was only 12 people, and was excellent.

Remember, pre-Covid, anyone could, and did tour the Galley, usually on the first sea day at 10am. Far more people went through the galley on those tours than ever on "Behind the Scenes" tours.

Regardless, I suspect the cruise line assumed liabilities they would prefer to avoid.

If I’m wrong, wE will see galley tours and other behind the scenes tours resume. 

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

A Galley tour offers no more danger to a guest than walking up/down a staircase.  If there is any potential "danger". it is using the metal stairs in the crew's section of the ship.  The cruise lines have rules that guests must follow for the Behind the Scenes Tours:  i.e. closed toe shoes must be worn.  

6 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I always felt a little conflicted when we did the tour for all the crew that had to work in the areas that were being toured that day. We had to be a big pain the butt for them.

5 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I can see where it is a pain for the crew working that day.

5 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We did a "behind the scenes" on a Carnival ship several years ago.  I

Interesting that you felt that way.  I did not; never even considered that.  The tour did not interfere with the crew's duties.  The cooks in the Galley continued to do their job as did the bakers as did those who worked in the sanitation (read garbage/trash area).  We were not interfering with the Bridge Officers; one, sometimes a Cadet, would be our "guide" on the Bridge.  The staff person leading the tour would have various duties, but, those duties were always guest related.  

Aboard Carnival Miracle, I did a Behind the Scenes Tour a few days before the ship was to enter into drydock and below deck preparations were being made, i.e thick paper covering some of the walls and the deck flooring.  My group did nothing to interrupt those preparations.  

The staff member who lead our little group--during the after tour cocktail parties--welcomed more conversation and Q&A for as long as the group desired.  After one tour, the Hotel Director, whom we had met earlier in the afternoon, joined us.  (He did not need to do that.  If we were a "bother", why would he take time out of his day to join our group for awhile?)  

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A Galley tour offers no more danger to a guest than walking up/down a staircase.  If there is any potential "danger". it is using the metal stairs in the crew's section of the ship.  The cruise lines have rules that guests must follow for the Behind the Scenes Tours:  i.e. closed toe shoes must be worn.  

I didn't say danger, I said liability. Two entirely different things in a courtroom. :). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Quibbling over words?  Both of us know what both of us meant by the two words that were used,  

Sorry. I meant no disrespect. Let me explain where I am coming from.......

When you invite the public into a 'behind the scenes' area, you are taking on additional liability even though there may not be any additional danger. That's why I believe they are two different things. At least that's how I would see it. In other words, a slip and fall during the galley tour might result in a different outcome than a slip and fall at the pool. 

• Like 1

Whether the crew consider it a pain or not, I am looking forward to this video behind the scenes to be rolled out fleetwide, every cruise.   Previously, those with mobility issues were not allowed on the tour & due to limited capacity only a few could attend.  So this video will make it easier for more people to see what actually goes on behind the scenes.  Personally, I found the tour fascinating & enjoyable.  I especially enjoyed the q&a with the captain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sorry. I meant no disrespect. Let me explain where I am coming from.......

I didn't feel any disrespect.  

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

When you invite the public into a 'behind the scenes' area, you are taking on additional liability even though there may not be any additional danger. That's why I believe they are two different things. At least that's how I would see it. In other words, a slip and fall during the galley tour might result in a different outcome than a slip and fall at the pool. 

I understand.  The circumstances of an "accident" would certainly be of importance if such ever resulted in a legal case.