Two Teens + Two Adults = One Cabin??

JBCall

Hi all,

Are the balcony cabins big enough to hold 2 teens (14, 16) plus their parents?  Should we be looking at a Club Balcony Suite or two cabins?  We are looking at a spring break cruise on either the Joy, Bliss, or Encore. 

We are experienced cruisers but have not been on NCL before.  Are there significant differences between the three ships?

Thanks.

The Joy and Bliss are pretty much alike, the Encore I haven't been on, but similar I have read.  think different activities, entertainment onboard for all 3. A balcony cabin for 4 people I guess is doable, I would never put myself in that crowded position, the Club Balcony I believe just has a larger bathroom.  If you can afford it, get two rooms.  Maybe an inside across from the balcony.  Know kids can't be assigned a cabin, but once you get onboard sleeping arrangements can be changed easily.  Just my opinion.

Our kids are the exact same age as yours, a boy and a girl. On our most recent cruise in March we finally got them their own room and now I don’t think we can ever go back. We had a balcony and we got them an inside room right across from us. It was so great! We loved having the extra space and they loved being able to sleep in without being bothered. We could still all fit in one cabin if we really had to but it was so much nicer this way. We’ve booked two more cruises with two rooms for next year. 

• Like 2

We are a family of four as well. We have teens the same age as you. We booked a balcony with a Pullman over the couch (essentially a bunk bed). It will be tight, but those rooms have some tight quarters anyway, like a very small hotel room. But the ship is big and we can try to stagger the use of the room except for sleeping.  We know what we are getting in to though. I think some people get adjoining rooms or even a balcony  and an inside cabin that are across the hall from each other. 

8 hours ago, JBCall said:

Hi all,

Are the balcony cabins big enough to hold 2 teens (14, 16) plus their parents?  Should we be looking at a Club Balcony Suite or two cabins?  We are looking at a spring break cruise on either the Joy, Bliss, or Encore. 

We are experienced cruisers but have not been on NCL before.  Are there significant differences between the three ships?

Thanks.

"Club Balcony Suite" is NOT a bigger room.  Only the bathroom is bigger.  

Joy, Bliss, or Encore are pretty much identical.  Just a few amenities differ.

You say you are experienced cruisers. NCL cabins aren't significantly different from other mass market cruise line's cabins.  So do you think you all 4 could live in one cabin on the other cruise lines you've been on?  If so, you can do it on NCL.

Personally, I'd book the inside for the kids as others have suggested.  If funds are tight, consider the two insides as CheifMateJRK suggested.

• Like 2

We're doing a trip on Prima next year with my sister, BIL, and their twin 12yr olds. Pricing is extremely high, so the 4 of them are in a family ocean view room.

We're DINKs, so we're in one of the Haven owner suites with a hot tub. Already planning on having them spend most time hanging out in our room with us, with them using theirs for showers, sleeping, and downtime away from us. 

Whether or not something is possible is a very different discussion about whether it is enjoyable. Rooms that hold 4 people are not 2 adults + 2 kids, you can (in theory) fit 4 adults in there.

*insert Jeff Goldblum Jurassic Park meme here* 

Remeber that on the newer ships, the Inside Cabins are down a separate corridor and NOT accessible from the corridor with the balcony cabins.  On the older ships, the doors to the Inside Cabins are directly across the hall from the balcony cabins, BUT not on the new ships.  I believe the rule is you have to be 18 or older to be in your own cabin.  Lots of people book one adult and one kid in each room and put both kids in one room.  That works if your cabins were next to each other but not if your cabins are on different corridors.  Go the the website and check out the deck plans and see what works best for you.

Keep in mind the the period between late February until after Easter is PRIME Spring Break time meaning very crowded and expensive.

• Like 2

If you have done this on other cruise lines, you know what you are getting into. NCL rooms are about the same size as most other lines. When our children were about your kids ages we did two cruises with the four of us in one cabin. Was it spacious? No. Was it doable? Yes. Getting 2 cabins was not something we wanted to pay for at the time. We spent a lot of time out and about.

2 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Spring break.  It will be a party cruise.  Top dollar.  Four people, one cabin, one bathroom.  It is all about how much.  And with NCL and all inclusive for four $$$$$.  You need a suite.

Not everyone can afford a suite, especially spring break time when pricing is usually high.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, njkate said:

especially spring break time when pricing is usually high.

Didn't I just say that.  A suite is a suggestion.  Sorry you didn't like my opinion.   I myself would not cruise during spring break on any cruise line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Remeber that on the newer ships, the Inside Cabins are down a separate corridor and NOT accessible from the corridor with the balcony cabins.  On the older ships, the doors to the Inside Cabins are directly across the hall from the balcony cabins, BUT not on the new ships.  I believe the rule is you have to be 18 or older to be in your own cabin.  Lots of people book one adult and one kid in each room and put both kids in one room.  That works if your cabins were next to each other but not if your cabins are on different corridors.  Go the the website and check out the deck plans and see what works best for you.

Keep in mind the the period between late February until after Easter is PRIME Spring Break time meaning very crowded and expensive.

Have had not heard this about the interior not being accessible from the same hallway as the balconies.   My 3 teens are in an interior & we are across the hallway. On the Prima deck 14 forward it doesn’t look Iike there is a different hallway for interior.  Do know if this is true for the Prima?   

Edited by Mom2kmo

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

You need someone 21+ booked in each cabin, if a parent and teen are booked in a balcony and inside, the teens can sleep in the inside, they can get extra keys at guest services.

25 minutes ago, Mom2kmo said:

Have had not heard this about the interior not being accessible from the same hallway as the balconies.   My 3 teens are in an interior & we are across the hallway. On the Prima deck 14 forward it doesn’t look Iike there is a different hallway for interior.  Do know if this is true for the Prima?   

I just looked at the Prima Deck 14 plan.  There is a much wider corridor between the Inside Cabins than the Balcony Cabins.  Probably room to two doors to open into the corridor.  It does also look like there are several Inside Cabins that connect like hotel rooms.  That might be an option.

Really great advice on this thread. Love the tip about booking near a public restroom if you MUST book four in a cabin.

I agree that a mini-suite isn't going to gain you significant enough differences to make it worth an upgrade. Two cabins is the way to go. I'd personally be happier with two adults in an oceanview and kids in an inside over four in a balcony. But if you and your spouse can still swing a balcony, with the kids in an inside, everyone wins! Kids will be happier on their own sleep schedule, too, and those insides are great for sleeping teens. 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I just looked at the Prima Deck 14 plan.  There is a much wider corridor between the Inside Cabins than the Balcony Cabins.  Probably room to two doors to open into the corridor.  It does also look like there are several Inside Cabins that connect like hotel rooms.  That might be an option.

Interesting since this is the first I’ve heard about this.   No way would I ever move to a interior.  My teens are fine in there, just was always convenient to be just across the hall.  Thanks for the info!!!!

3 hours ago, njkate said:

Truthfully it comes down to your budget, if you can afford two cabins do it, if you can't 4 in one cabin will be tight and you have only one bathroom but it can be done, many people do it

On many itineraries, two insides cost no more than one balcony.  OP was planning on a balcony.

• Like 1

Going in February with the same aged kids and my wife. Spoke to many people who said four in one balcony room would be brutal. Was originally going on a 10 day cruise and I booked two insides. Was about 800-1000 more than the club balcony suite. Changed it to two balconies next to each other on an 8 day to Bermuda.  Can't see utilizing the balconies much on this trip, but I'm an idiot.  What can I say.

1 hour ago, Deacon22 said:

Going in February with the same aged kids and my wife. Spoke to many people who said four in one balcony room would be brutal. Was originally going on a 10 day cruise and I booked two insides. Was about 800-1000 more than the club balcony suite. Changed it to two balconies next to each other on an 8 day to Bermuda.  Can't see utilizing the balconies much on this trip, but I'm an idiot.  What can I say.

Remeber that you will NOT be able to remove the divider between the two balconies.