Rumor or not?

ValerieJo

So, passengers are getting all worked up over either a $5 or $8 for a third entree but have no qualms on blowing $8+ on a single cup of coffee.🤪

I remember one cruise on Anthem NE/Canada that we got a whole lobster in the MDR when we left Bar Harbor Maine.  This was in addition to lobster night.  Our head waiter told us that Royal had brought some $250k in whole lobsters.  Those were the good old days when RCL was profitable.

• Like 3

Ha-ha-ha. My husband is going on diet!
I switched to 2-3 appetizers,  no entree, no dessert sometime ago. 

Maybe if he behaves I’ll order entree for him. 🙂 

Edited by Tatka

15 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

But really, these people that try to set the record for how many lobsters they can eat are ridiculous. DO you really need more than 2 plus the appetizers, sides and dessert? Especially on the heals of cancellation of Alaskan crab season due to overfishing. If you can find them it will be expensive. 

Did you know that a lobster is not a crab?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

But really, these people that try to set the record for how many lobsters they can eat are ridiculous. DO you really need more than 2 plus the appetizers, sides and dessert? Especially on the heals of cancellation of Alaskan crab season due to overfishing. If you can find them it will be expensive. 

I don't know.  Why do we have Hot Dog eating contests?  Why do we have Pie eating contests?  Why do we have bobbing for apples contests?  Why do we have any contests or personal goal settings?

I'd tend not to criticize things like this because it may be that some people have limited skills in most everything else in life or are disabled and can't do many other competitions (this may not be the case in any of the examples in this thread), but take pride in these little accomplishments.  Why can't we just let people do what is harmless to others, is basically wholesome, doesn't fall into the category of illegal, immoral, or anything else like that?  

JMHO

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flamingos said:

Our waiter always offers us more lobster, and when one person says yes, he brings a plate with three or four in case he can talk anyone else into taking one. 

Out experience is that start with bringing 2 per person, and offering more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I don't know.  Why do we have Hot Dog eating contests?  Why do we have Pie eating contests?  Why do we have bobbing for apples contests?  Why do we have any contests or personal goal settings?

I'd tend not to criticize things like this because it may be that some people have limited skills in most everything else in life or are disabled and can't do many other competitions (this may not be the case in any of the examples in this thread), but take pride in these little accomplishments.  Why can't we just let people do what is harmless to others, is basically wholesome, doesn't fall into the category of illegal, immoral, or anything else like that?  

JMHO

I wasnt judging them. I was simply saying, trying to eat a record number of an expensive item comes at a cost to the bottom line. I would rather the cruise line keep everyone else's price and offerings the  same and have a surcharge for those who want to break the record. I dont feel its a squeeze play from the cruise lines.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Who’s stomach is even that big? Where do they put them? I guess it’s like the hot dog eating, but that’s a competition. I think there should be a limit on them. I’m not for Royal starting to charge extra for things, but when people do it just to do it I think they should be charged.

Exactly. As long a I can control if I want to be charged for something or not, its ok. When they just do an automatic price increase that affects you whether you use it or not is a totally different thing. 

16 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

I wasnt judging them. I was simply saying, trying to eat a record number of an expensive item comes at a cost to the bottom line. I would rather the cruise line keep everyone else's price and offerings the  same and have a surcharge for those who want to break the record. I dont feel its a squeeze play from the cruise lines.

"But really, these people that try to set the record for how many lobsters they can eat are ridiculous"

Just say'in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

"But really, these people that try to set the record for how many lobsters they can eat are ridiculous"

Just say'in

I meant as far as disabilities as you tried to compare this to for some reason. Eating 15-20 lobsters in a main dining room is not a disability. In fact, its rude. You are requiring more work from an already taxed waitstaff. The crew goes back and forth with more plates, clear more dirty dishes and takes time away from other diners needing their service- THATS ridiculous. The main dining room of a cruise ship is not the stage at Nathan's or an oyster bar in the keys. Its a place where over 3,000 need to fed in in 4 hours. And by them trying to be funny or whatever takes away from others. And if you need to have more than two lobster tails to fill your stomach when appetizers, soup, salad, sides, desserts, cheese plates and bread are also offered? then I see nothing wrong with charging $5. Its the diner's choice. Eating contests arent free to participate in. There are entrance fees.

Edited by ballarinamom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

I meant as far as disabilities as you tried to compare this to for some reason   "(this may not be the case in any of the examples in this thread)". Eating 15-20 lobsters in a main dining room is not a disability. In fact, its rude. You are requiring more work from an already taxed waitstaff. The crew goes back and forth with more plates, clear more dirty dishes and takes time away from other diners needing their service- THATS ridiculous. The main dining room of a cruise ship is not the stage at Nathan's or an oyster bar in the keys. Its a place where over 3,000 need to fed in in 4 hours. And by them trying to be funny or whatever takes away from others. And if you need to have more than two lobster tails to fill your stomach when appetizers, soup, salad, sides, desserts, cheese plates and bread are also offered? then I see nothing wrong with charging $5. Its the diner's choice. Eating contests arent free to participate in. There are entrance fees.

And I'm sure the cruise lines that have MDRs are well aware and prepared to handle this types of things and probably do on each cruise in one way, shape, or form.  Personally, I think you are making much to do about nothing.  AND, NO, I don't participate in these type things.  I just don't have a problem with it.  If the cruise lines was over worked or whatever, I'm sure they would control it.  

JMHO

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

And I'm sure the cruise lines that have MDRs are well aware and prepared to handle this types of things and probably do on each cruise in one way, shape, or form.  Personally, I think you are making much to do about nothing.  AND, NO, I don't participate in these type things.  I just don't have a problem with it.  If the cruise lines was over worked or whatever, I'm sure they would control it.  

JMHO

Obviously, cruise lines are finding it to be an issue, or they would not be implementing these surcharges. We've been on many cruises where the waitstaff has said its an issue. And now, post covid, cruise lines are experiencing staffing issues with the backlog in immigration paperwork to get more staff on the ships. People are complaining about a $5 surcharge. If you dont like it, dont eat more than two. If you're still mad, look at the reason why.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

I meant as far as disabilities as you tried to compare this to for some reason. Eating 15-20 lobsters in a main dining room is not a disability. In fact, its rude. You are requiring more work from an already taxed waitstaff. The crew goes back and forth with more plates, clear more dirty dishes and takes time away from other diners needing their service- THATS ridiculous. The main dining room of a cruise ship is not the stage at Nathan's or an oyster bar in the keys. Its a place where over 3,000 need to fed in in 4 hours. And by them trying to be funny or whatever takes away from others. And if you need to have more than two lobster tails to fill your stomach when appetizers, soup, salad, sides, desserts, cheese plates and bread are also offered? then I see nothing wrong with charging $5. Its the diner's choice. Eating contests arent free to participate in. There are entrance fees.

I don't care how many tails a person eats.  It certainly is not rude.  As far as "MORE WORK", one must remember the staff is there to serve the guests, not the other way around.  I won't eat that many, and I don't even understand the fascination with it, since it is pretty common food.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

One year there was a shortage of limes, and it did not raise the price of lemons.  

"One year" wasnt during a time of supply chain issue and record inflation. Also, depending on where you live, limes were plentiful and cheap. I had a lime tree in my back yard. None of us have a deep, cold body of water at our house

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ballarinamom said:

But would you want your overall price raised because of people who want to post on social media they ate 20 lobsters? I think the surcharge is fair. Pay to play so to speak

Yep, charge em.

40 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

It is Carnival after all!

Better food on Carnival vs. Royal in the past, but I have not been on CCL since Dec 2018. 

12 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yep, charge em.

Better food on Carnival vs. Royal in the past, but I have not been on CCL since Dec 2018. 

Agree! We just got off of Carnival in July and the food selection outstanding and the quality very, very good. And it was on an older, smaller ship. Im actually a little disappointed in our options on the Explorer and considering some of the specialty dining options. But again, I have the choice to pay or not.

22 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

Pretty sure that cancelling the crab season in Alaska won’t impact the lobster on RCL.  But I do agree that 2 lobster is likely enough.  

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:36 PM, ValerieJo said:

I read on another site that Royal will start charging $8 per additional dinner plate in the main dining room for dinner beginning in February.   Has anyone else heard this?  What are your thoughts?  Hopefully, it's not true.

Rumor or Not ?

Not and Not even rumor.  Another cruise line is making some dining changes.  Has nothing to do with  RCCL.  

M

• Thanks 2