How does an overnight port stay work?

f1rstxlas7

First time cruiser and I have an overnight for one of my ports, but I'd like to leave the ship on arrival day, stay overnight elsewhere, and then return to the ship the following day. Do I need to alert the ship(Norwegian) that I will not be on-board overnight? And are you allowed to get on and off the ship at anytime during the night or are there usually cut-off times?

Tried doing a search but I likely wasn't using the right keywords or phrases, apologies because I'm sure this has been asked before.

I can't speak for NCL, but on several lines I've sailed with where an overnight stop in port was scheduled, you can leave and return to the ship at will, including at any time during the night. It was announced in the "Daily" that this was what to expect. You can also choose to stay ashore. No need to get permission to do so, but you may want to advise your steward of your plans so no one gets worried.

• Like 2

And are you allowed to get on and off the ship at anytime during the night or are there usually cut-off times?

We have also occasionally  overnighted in ports but never sailed NCL so  you should  check once onboard.

Usually if the ship is docked,you can come and go as you please as gangway security staff are on duty 24/7 , but if a tender is involved, the ship will usually advise an approximate timetable for tenders, with less frequency during the night, but a service running nonetheless, in part as some crew will take the opportunity to go ashore for late night fun and not return until the early hours. (depending on their shifts)

I would also advise that you let your cabin steward know, and maybe even leave a note of where you will be staying ashore.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't speak for NCL, but on several lines I've sailed with where an overnight stop in port was scheduled, you can leave and return to the ship at will, including at any time during the night. It was announced in the "Daily" that this was what to expect. You can also choose to stay ashore. No need to get permission to do so, but you may want to advise your steward of your plans so no one gets worried.

We did an overnight in Cuba and this is how it worked with NCL. 

We have done this with NCL and P&O and can agree. We could leave and come back any time in Oslo and Bali.

We also had an overnight in St Petersburg with Carnival but Visa laws meant we could only be with a tour. Check port and country laws too as some port areas have open/close times or are industrial ports with no foot traffic.

31 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

We have done this with NCL and P&O and can agree. We could leave and come back any time in Oslo and Bali.

We also had an overnight in St Petersburg with Carnival but Visa laws meant we could only be with a tour. Check port and country laws too as some port areas have open/close times or are industrial ports with no foot traffic.

Depending on the port country, even visas for the ship overnighting can be different if you stay on shore for the overnight versus stay on the ship for the overnight.  This was the case with an overnight in Vietnam.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

We've done that a number of times, though not with NCL.

We always tell our cabin steward, and our dinner table-mates if we're on fixed sitting.

Do quote your ports......

VelvetWater posted that the visa concession for cruisers visiting St Petersburg restricts staying ashore overnight  - the same applies to ships on port-of-call visits to Turkey and Vietnam, probably a few other places as well.

JB 🙂   

It may depend on the por. Bermuda is a popular destination from the northeast and a 7 day cruise to Bermuda allows 3 or 4 days there.  OUr experience on all lines  has been that  you can get on and off the ship 24/7. 

• Like 1