New menus on Symphony reported

John&LaLa

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There are people who go off menu most nights and order the Indian.  My wife is one of them.  They've just started adding it to the menu is all it would appear.

My then 12yr old Daughter did that ordering Indian for half the week on our 10nite Cruise, this 20+ yrs ago. She's Adventurous eater even today but on that Cruise she tried Escargot and Caviar. Was with my two younger Kids and Crew thought she was my Wife, during the Cruise they kept offering her Champaign  

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

I see the price for Chops filet in MDR has increased to $19.99 - not surprised it has been $16.95 for as long as I can remember. 

I don't think we will survive without out escargot, french onion soup and royal cheesecake almost every night.    I sure hope this trial backfires on them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I just thought ... If I get Maine lobster, I am good with not getting the second one. It is a very different lobster, than we get on cruises. It has claws for example.

However dish is called

Broiled Lobster Tail (Cold water Maine lobster served with ....)

So I am confused a bit. Is this just a tail of Maine lobster or whole Maine lobster?

On land you never get just a tail of Maine lobster.

I don't know, here at Publix they sell Maine tails all the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I don't think we will survive without out escargot, french onion soup and royal cheesecake almost every night.    I sure hope this trial backfires on them.

I eat escargots every night it is available. However escargots every night is fairly recent addition. Even in 2019 they were available only first so many nights (On 6-7 nights it was 3-4 days, on 12 days it was 8-9). And before I remember them only on 1 night (First formal?) in 2016.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I eat escargots every night it is available. However escargots every night is fairly recent addition. Even in 2019 they were available only first so many nights. And before I remember them only on 1 night (First formal?) in 2016.

Honestly prefer the bay scallops version.

Really can't think of anything I'd eat every night

• Like 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Honestly prefer the bay scallops version.

Really can't think of anything I'd eat every night

This year I already ate them every night on 4 cruises (9, 12, 7, 9 days... 7 nights coming).

My husband eats only scallop gratin. 🙂

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I am working from flawed memory here but hasn't there always been the option of ordering a "Maine Lobster Tail" from the Chops Grill for a surcharge on the MDR menu or is my memory failing me again? 

Yes, $29.99 for a whole lobster.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival 2 entrees are free. Its the 3rd there is a $5 charge. Let's not post facts not quite right. Bad enough. I'm sure if the cook is wrong on carnival it could be sent back and exceptions. 

Thanks,   forgot the $ upcharge and couldn't remember if it was second or third.  Nevertheless, cruisers used to scarfing down in the MDR at night are going to have to either "go on a diet" or "fork" over $$$.

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

So basically it is a frozen lobster them, or previously frozen.

Usually what the supermarkets will do is try to sell them live and after a certain period just try to sell the tails.  Not frozen.  

• Like 1

Not a fan of reducing the menu unless its to increase the quality. Thing is they just want to supposedly speed things up. What do I have going on that I need to speed things up?

Will see how this unfolds but I am not locked in to Royal, a different line, or even cruising in general if it comes down to it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Thanks,   forgot the $ upcharge and couldn't remember if it was second or third.  Nevertheless, cruisers used to scarfing down in the MDR at night are going to have to either "go on a diet" or "fork" over $$$.

I said at the time carnival did it, it was about the cost of the lobster. Carnival was cost cutting. I dont care how they wrote it. Now rcl is kinda copying imo. Cost cutting. True it might speed up Mdr which lately has been lacking service wise. I couldnt get hot tea with dessert and service has been iffy more than once. I know I can go to the cafe, but they used to ask. It's not the same service level as before covid. I know things change. Both have a lot of debt to service. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Usually what the supermarkets will do is try to sell them live and after a certain period just try to sell the tails.  Not frozen.  

They can't sell a "fresh" tail.  They can sell a live lobster or a flash frozen tail.  

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Even in 2019 they were available only first so many nights

The two RCL I was on in 2019 (9 night spring and 5 night fall), escargot was available every night. There was an escargot shortage happening around that time, and what was available was tending a bit on the small side, or being replaced with scallops on some ships. So whether they were offered every night really depended on availability. The shortage appears to have relaxed in the last few years. Escargot are classified as a pest in the US, so trying to farm them here has crazy restrictions.

• Like 1