Has anyone taken disposable trays on the ships?

1BDNANA

I have to use a cane quite often on the ship and the buffet can be quite a challenge when you can only use one hand now that they no longer have trays. Are you allowed to bring disposable biodegradable trays? Can you request a tray to use? My last cruise I had to have someone come with me in the lines to help. 

What is an example of a disposable biodegradable tray?

They do not have trays available.

If you ask for assistance I am sure they can help you carry whatever you need to your table. Most of the time there are plenty of crew in the Lido buffet area.

• Like 1

Or, do as I've done several times... order room service, and use that tray as needed during the cruise. Just don't leave it out/about in the room, or it will go *poof*  !

If Cheryl "sends me" on a breakfast buffet mission, it definitely comes in handy. Plus, it's interesting to see the looks one gets sporting around a tray (the "where do I get one of those?" expression).

Tom

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

One plate of food, a bowl of salad or fruit and a bundle of utensils with one hand did not work well for me last cruise and with the staff they had on the cruise I took in May there was no way to have a staff member to help me. The trays were so helpful for people with disabilities.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Or, do as I've done several times... order room service, and use that tray as needed during the cruise. Just don't leave it out/about in the room, or it will go *poof*  !

If Cheryl "sends me" on a breakfast buffet mission, it definitely comes in handy. Plus, it's interesting to see the looks one gets sporting around a tray (the "where do I get one of those?" expression).

Tom

This may work. I carry a beach bag most of the time so I could pop one in it to use whin I do the lines. Thank you for this useful tip. May seem like a small thing but that little pop of independence can go a long way.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I always bring a tray on cruises. It packs easily in the bottom of my suitcase. I like to go get breakfast every morning and bring it back to my balcony. 

image.thumb.png.f059b4b7e7350502c9bf71ed867f1dd4.png

Amazon....take me away. Thank you. You have been so helpful.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I always bring a tray on cruises. It packs easily in the bottom of my suitcase. I like to go get breakfast every morning and bring it back to my balcony. 

My son bought this to keep in his car for when he's on the road and has to stop to eat and doesn't want to go into a restaurant.  He said it's been great for catching sloppy food spills that end up on the tray and not in his lap.

I wouldn't take it on a cruise since I don't go to the buffets but it would probably work if you needed it and it would pack easily.

I'd hide it in the cabin closet when not in use since I could see the cabin steward taking it away thinking it was from room service. (Unless you get a bright red!)

As mentioned, there are always crew around to help you carry what you need.

I always bring a large tray that can carry 2 dinner plates and 2 drinks and snacks. The last cruise the staff showed all their fellow crew members. We were on the Pride in February and April. I brought my tray. Carnival crew just passing by would hit the button for the automatic door for me. The hostess pushed the elevator button for me. At other times when I was waiting by the elevator other crew members would press the elevator button for and even waited to press my floor button. Each time I was able to press thebuttons. I could not believe how thoughtful and helpful they all were. 

F41A75A3-49CF-4C3E-BDE4-58E29FE41A16.jpeg

16 hours ago, asalligo said:

I'm ordering two of these today! Why did Carnival do away with trays? Getting lunch or breakfast on Lido is a challenge even with both hands free - dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, utensils, cup, dessert plate. A lot to fit on a tray, but impossible to get it all in one trip without one. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

I do the same, but I also keep the coffee carafe.  I like to get up early and walk around the deck before my wife gets up.  I stop at the buffet and fill it up before I return to the room.  I get my morning walk and she gets her morning coffee.  Win Win!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nlktx49 said:

I'm ordering two of these today! Why did Carnival do away with trays? Getting lunch or breakfast on Lido is a challenge even with both hands free - dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, utensils, cup, dessert plate. A lot to fit on a tray, but impossible to get it all in one trip without one. Thanks for the tip.

Do any ships still have trays? On all of my kids’ college campuses, there are no longer trays in the dining halls.

1 hour ago, nlktx49 said:

Saves labor and costs.  No more washing of the thousands of trays. Saves the cost of water. Saves on food costs. Over the years Carnival switched from trays to platter sized plates and then to regular plates. Less surface = less space for food to be placed. Less food = less cost and less waste. 

10 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Do any ships still have trays? On all of my kids’ college campuses, there are no longer trays in the dining halls.

I'm sure a big part of the reason for eliminating the trays is to reduce food waste.  Many people used to pile as much as they could fit on the tray.  Now they pile as much as they can on a plate, but it's nowhere near as much waste as with the tray.  It is definitely much less convenient not having the trays, but I can certainly understand why the cruise lines eliminated them. 

• Like 2

I've used a cane post surgery on some cruises and always found that a staff person would approach me in the buffet and offer to take whatever plate/bowl I was carrying to my table.  Once there, they asked if I needed anything to drink.  Quite helpful, IMO.

If it makes the OP feel more secure, bring a tray.  I've seen some folk use the seat of their 4 wheel walker to gather their foodstuff as well.  Whatever makes one comfortable.

• Like 1