Luminosa - The Good and Not So Good

Just back from a seven nighter up to North Queensland. I'll give a brief description of what I thought was good, and not so good. Bear in mind I'm generally a Princess cruiser (including two post-covid) with a few Celebrity and Carnival pre-covid (I have never sailed other lines including P&O Australia or Royal Caribbean, although I hope to try soon.)

The Good:  Loved the ship. Found it spacious and non-crowded, and loved the large number of comfortable seats in quiet areas, all with great ocean views.  We are not Carnival 'Fun People ' but found it easy to avoid crowds and noise if wanting to read, play cards or just watch the ocean.  

Similarly, lifts were uncrowded (usually used Aft), and easy to find good table at buffet when needed.

Staff, at all levels (excepting some at Guest Services), were always ready with a smile and friendly greeting. Our cabin steward and MDR team were wonderful.

Embarkation was excellent.

Tendering worked well.

A couple of the shows were good - 'Flick' was extremely good.

Loved having a Promenade Deck for strolling. It was usually calm and sheltered - very little wind.

The Not-So-Good:.  Was disappointing that I had to carry mobile phone around at MDR time. If you do not wish to check in for the MDR, even for breakfast, you are on the outer and will suffer delayed entry, even when MDR is virtually empty.  Those with set time evening dinner fared better as assigned same table each night and could simply arrive and enter. While we're happy to share for breakfast/brunch, we would have liked the option to reserve a 'table for two' during pre-cruise options. You can head to MDR after embarking to try requesting.  Once seated, there is a limited number of printed menus for those like me that dislike mobile phones at dining table.

Although lovely Promenade Deck, there were no loungers on it, and they roped off Aft for crew smoking. They did this also on Princess. It is a pet hate of mine. I know the crew have to smoke somewhere, but I try to choose a ship with a full Promenade, so this is a disappointment.

Quality of included coffee and tea were disappointing. I'll pack tea and coffee bags next time. Water quality in buffet and MDR excellent.

Comedy quality was disappointing. Only went to the early PG rated ones. I expect bad comedians on Princess, but was hoping for better on Carnival. The Limelight Lounge venue for comedy was also too small.

Food is an important aspect for our holidays, and sad to say I was disappointed. It is probably five years since my last Carnival cruise but standards, particularly in MDR, have dropped noticeably.  I was happy with the lunchtime varieties and quality in the buffet, but breakfast offerings were not up to Princess standard. I was always in MDR for dinner, and definitely not to the standard we'd enjoyed on two Princess cruises this season.  There was never a lunch in MDR, but rather breakfast on a port day and brunch (8.30am to 12noon) on a sea day. We enjoyed brunch offering - favouring a lovely Greek Yoghurt/Granola parfait with fresh berries, followed by a Grilled Salmon salad. (I've yet to find a good yoghurt on Princess - only very low or no-fat varieties).

There is no 'included/free' room service at any time during day, including breakfast.  Do miss Princess for this aspect.

There is included tea and coffee (poor quality but free) at breakfast in MDR but not at dinner. You can of course purchase specialty coffee/tea.  Their fruit juices at breakfast are high sugar, very sweet 'drinks' not pure juices.  You can purchase freshly squeezed juice.

So, all in all, I would do another Carnival cruise if value was excellent (about half Princess/Celebrity) as I did like this ship and it's layout and now understand the food offerings and other quirks.

I have not mentioned a major problem we encountered as it is unlikely to affect future cruisers, but it was certainly a challenge to deal with and stay positive (no working toilet in cabin for all but last day and a half of seven night cruise). It was not possible for them to shift us to a new cabin as too many in aft section affected. I understand problems arise, and although extremely inconvenienced by this issue, we don't hold this against them, especially given it was their first cruise with passengers. What I find extremely hard to forgive them for, is how management dealt with the issue. Enough said.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Just back from a seven nighter up to North Queensland. I'll give a brief description of what I thought was good, and not so good. Bear in mind I'm generally a Princess cruiser (including two post-covid) with a few Celebrity and Carnival pre-covid (I have never sailed other lines including P&O Australia or Royal Caribbean, although I hope to try soon.)

The Good:  Loved the ship. Found it spacious and non-crowded, and loved the large number of comfortable seats in quiet areas, all with great ocean views.  We are not Carnival 'Fun People ' but found it easy to avoid crowds and noise if wanting to read, play cards or just watch the ocean.  

Similarly, lifts were uncrowded (usually used Aft), and easy to find good table at buffet when needed.

Staff, at all levels (excepting some at Guest Services), were always ready with a smile and friendly greeting. Our cabin steward and MDR team were wonderful.

Embarkation was excellent.

Tendering worked well.

A couple of the shows were good - 'Flick' was extremely good.

Loved having a Promenade Deck for strolling. It was usually calm and sheltered - very little wind.

The Not-So-Good:.  Was disappointing that I had to carry mobile phone around at MDR time. If you do not wish to check in for the MDR, even for breakfast, you are on the outer and will suffer delayed entry, even when MDR is virtually empty.  Those with set time evening dinner fared better as assigned same table each night and could simply arrive and enter. While we're happy to share for breakfast/brunch, we would have liked the option to reserve a 'table for two' during pre-cruise options. You can head to MDR after embarking to try requesting.  Once seated, there is a limited number of printed menus for those like me that dislike mobile phones at dining table.

Although lovely Promenade Deck, there were no loungers on it, and they roped off Aft for crew smoking. They did this also on Princess. It is a pet hate of mine. I know the crew have to smoke somewhere, but I try to choose a ship with a full Promenade, so this is a disappointment.

Quality of included coffee and tea were disappointing. I'll pack tea and coffee bags next time. Water quality in buffet and MDR excellent.

Comedy quality was disappointing. Only went to the early PG rated ones. I expect bad comedians on Princess, but was hoping for better on Carnival. The Limelight Lounge venue for comedy was also too small.

Food is an important aspect for our holidays, and sad to say I was disappointed. It is probably five years since my last Carnival cruise but standards, particularly in MDR, have dropped noticeably.  I was happy with the lunchtime varieties and quality in the buffet, but breakfast offerings were not up to Princess standard. I was always in MDR for dinner, and definitely not to the standard we'd enjoyed on two Princess cruises this season.  There was never a lunch in MDR, but rather breakfast on a port day and brunch (8.30am to 12noon) on a sea day. We enjoyed brunch offering - favouring a lovely Greek Yoghurt/Granola parfait with fresh berries, followed by a Grilled Salmon salad. (I've yet to find a good yoghurt on Princess - only very low or no-fat varieties).

There is no 'included/free' room service at any time during day, including breakfast.  Do miss Princess for this aspect.

There is included tea and coffee (poor quality but free) at breakfast in MDR but not at dinner. You can of course purchase specialty coffee/tea.  Their fruit juices at breakfast are high sugar, very sweet 'drinks' not pure juices.  You can purchase freshly squeezed juice.

So, all in all, I would do another Carnival cruise if value was excellent (about half Princess/Celebrity) as I did like this ship and it's layout and now understand the food offerings and other quirks.

I have not mentioned a major problem we encountered as it is unlikely to affect future cruisers, but it was certainly a challenge to deal with and stay positive (no working toilet in cabin for all but last day and a half of seven night cruise). It was not possible for them to shift us to a new cabin as too many in aft section affected. I understand problems arise, and although extremely inconvenienced by this issue, we don't hold this against them, especially given it was their first cruise with passengers. What I find extremely hard to forgive them for, is how management dealt with the issue. Enough said.

Now I'm really excited about my pending cruise on 4/12.  Thanks for your detailed "good and not so good review" of Luminosa, which is much appreciated, being its inaugural cruise.  There were lots of things you mentioned that I know I will love.  I love a Promenade Deck to walk around.  Pity there are no loungers on the Promenade Deck.  

You were certainly more understanding about the toilet situation in your cabin than I would have been.  The most disappointing thing you mentioned was the attitude of Guest Services, who are in the wrong job!!  Guest Services is a hard job, but a rewarding one for the right person!

Now some questions please -

Was there any Indian food like Masala Tiger Indian Restaurant?

Are there tables outside where you can eat takeaway food?

Did you try BBQ?

I had 5.30 pm dinner assigned.  Does this mean I'll have the same table assigned every night without the need to book nightly?

What were your favourite ports?

Thanks for your great review, it read as very fair and balanced.

We will be considering a winter cruise on Carnival or P&O so it was interesting to read that there was no longer any lunch served in the MDR.

We will just have to get there at 11:45 to place our order before noon. 😁

The grilled salmon salad sounds lovely.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Now I'm really excited about my pending cruise on 4/12.  Thanks for your detailed "good and not so good review" of Luminosa, which is much appreciated, being its inaugural cruise.  There were lots of things you mentioned that I know I will love.  I love a Promenade Deck to walk around.  Pity there are no loungers on the Promenade Deck.  

You were certainly more understanding about the toilet situation in your cabin than I would have been.  The most disappointing thing you mentioned was the attitude of Guest Services, who are in the wrong job!!  Guest Services is a hard job, but a rewarding one for the right person!

Now some questions please -

Was there any Indian food like Masala Tiger Indian Restaurant?

Are there tables outside where you can eat takeaway food?

Did you try BBQ?

I had 5.30 pm dinner assigned.  Does this mean I'll have the same table assigned every night without the need to book nightly?

What were your favourite ports?

As to your questions:

There is no Masala Tiger Restaurant on Luminosa. However, each night in the MDR, the menu features an Indian dish of the day (always vegetarian with accompaniments)

There are tables outside where you can enjoy your buffet meals.

We tried the Bbq. Very pleased. 3 meats - ie. Shredded Pork Butt, very tender chicken and a beef, then a salad bar, breads and sauces.

Yes, you will have the same table assigned with same waiters. Just arrive around 5.30 and walk to your table.

We liked all three ports but had been to these many times. So didn't book excursions. At Airlie Beach and Cairns just walked to Lagoon for a swim, and at Port Douglas walked to gardens, little church with great views, and down main street to beach and lookout. We went early to minimise heat and were back on board by lunchtime each day. We never swim at beaches in north Queensland due to concerns of Irukandji. Personal choice but one we feel strongly about. 

Thank you for the balanced review.  Looking forward to our upcoming cruise.  Hope the toilets are sorted though.  We are aft…and having no toilet for the length of time you had would be unacceptable.  I assume there was a public toilet near your cabin? Any compensation provided since they couldn’t fix or move you?

Edited by aussielozzie18

Once upon a time when s ship had a toilet issue, people on lower decks scored a surprise when the system overflowed. Seems the newer ships are a bit more "clever" and the toilet won't flush while the system is under load. We had some issues on Majestic - sometimes flushing instantly, sometimes 10 minutes later, other times a few hours. Whichever way, having a toilet that doesn't suck really sucks, and it should happily flush underturd when you press the button.

Thanks for your review. It does give us some extra insight to what we may expect on Splendor next year. I was pleasantly surprised with Carnival food a few years ago on Spirit, but disappointing it has slipped. Hopefully Luminosa will improve with the first cruise out of the way.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

As to your questions:

There is no Masala Tiger Restaurant on Luminosa. However, each night in the MDR, the menu features an Indian dish of the day (always vegetarian with accompaniments)

There are tables outside where you can enjoy your buffet meals.

We tried the Bbq. Very pleased. 3 meats - ie. Shredded Pork Butt, very tender chicken and a beef, then a salad bar, breads and sauces.

Yes, you will have the same table assigned with same waiters. Just arrive around 5.30 and walk to your table.

We liked all three ports but had been to these many times. So didn't book excursions. At Airlie Beach and Cairns just walked to Lagoon for a swim, and at Port Douglas walked to gardens, little church with great views, and down main street to beach and lookout. We went early to minimise heat and were back on board by lunchtime each day. We never swim at beaches in north Queensland due to concerns of Irukandji. Personal choice but one we feel strongly about. 

Thank you for answering my questions.  Like you, I have visited these three ports many times, but not by cruise ship.  I wouldn't ever swim in North Queensland waters during the stinger season - irukandji and box jellyfish.  Due to the warming of Queensland waters, these are now moving further south.  

Nice to read a fair review, which is the opposite of what you get on Facebook! I'm hoping against hope that the food will improve with each cruise back and by January it will be at a reasonable standard. Food quality, not quantity, is an important part of my cruising experience. Not fancy food, just something tasty in an MDR each night. 

I'm not expecting Princess or Celebrity standard food but P&O or better would suit me! Glad you enjoyed your toiletless week at sea. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by mum and son

I am never really swayed by someone's review of food on a ship. It is so very subjective. What some else likes, someone else hates. If I had listened to people's review of food, I would never have set foot on any of the dozens of ships we have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vozzie said:

I am never really swayed by someone's review of food on a ship. It is so very subjective. What some else likes, someone else hates. If I had listened to people's review of food, I would never have set foot on any of the dozens of ships we have. 

I have never heard of anyone starving on a cruise ship. There is always something to eat.😉

• Like 1

Thank you for a fair and balanced review. I have booked the repositioning cruise Brisbane to Alaska and had anytime dining, but I think I will go back and switch it based on what you have said. I always bring my own decaf tea, as well as an insulated coffee mug…I hate the plastic ones in the buffet.

I have booked an aft facing cabin on desk 7, but cannot find any pictures anywhere…on Costa is was described as a mini suite, but Carnival call it a Premium Balcony, whatever that means. I am sure I will be happy, whatever….who doesn’t look forward to a cruise!

On 11/15/2022 at 9:33 PM, Flash harriet said:

Thank you for a fair and balanced review. I have booked the repositioning cruise Brisbane to Alaska and had anytime dining, but I think I will go back and switch it based on what you have said. I always bring my own decaf tea, as well as an insulated coffee mug…I hate the plastic ones in the buffet.

I have booked an aft facing cabin on desk 7, but cannot find any pictures anywhere…on Costa is was described as a mini suite, but Carnival call it a Premium Balcony, whatever that means. I am sure I will be happy, whatever….who doesn’t look forward to a cruise!

I have been having the same issue with trying to figure out my cabin.  I booked what was referred by carnival at the time as a jr. suite.  Now I don't see jr. suites listed at all.  I also have been trying to see a picture of the cabin but there aren't any available.  

6 hours ago, my kids mama said:

I have been having the same issue with trying to figure out my cabin.  I booked what was referred by carnival at the time as a jr. suite.  Now I don't see jr. suites listed at all.  I also have been trying to see a picture of the cabin but there aren't any available.  

This is the best place I have found to figure out the cabins for Luminosa.

It refers to the cabins prior to Carnival takeover but you can click on a room of similar category and it will give you an idea by videos and photos. Might still have issues finding vids of the really obscure ones that are non-standard.

Costa Luminosa Smeraldo Deck Plans (cruisedeckplans.com)

1 hour ago, Crimpy said:

It refers to the cabins prior to Carnival takeover but you can click on a room of similar category and it will give you an idea by videos and photos. Might still have issues finding vids of the really obscure ones that are non-standard.

Thank you!  I saw something similar.  I am booked in cabin 6202.  According to the picture in the link you provided, it has a huge balcony.  According to carnival, it has a standard balcony.  It does seem to have a bathtub and walk in closet though.  Those will be nice bonuses as I got this cabin in a free balcony deal.  I wonder if carnival put a wall up where the wrap around balcony was supposed to be. 

2 hours ago, Crimpy said:

Thank you

Luminosa 2260 passengers.  The largest cruise ship I've cruised on was MSC Poesia, 2,550 passengers.

Prior to that two medium size ships - Celebrity Century 1814 passengers and Fred Olsen's Black Watch 804-848 passengers.

The last ship I cruised on this year, Coral Expedition's Coral Geographer had 100 passengers.

No doubt, it will take me the week to get my bearings.   

34 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Would one of these help?😁

compass.jpg

I don't think so.  Do they have pictures when you get out of the lift?  They help identify if you are on correct deck.  One of the games on my last small ship was to find all the paintings.  Good idea!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.

I find Carnival good for the price point. I love the comedy club. I find the PG rated ones not so good. You see the comedians ready for a comeback then have to stop themselves due to kids in the audience. On Coral I loved the first 2. Of the second 2 one was OK, and I wasn't impressed with the other. 

I liked the way the dining worked as you never had to line up, just book then turn up when your table is ready (unlike Princess). 

I thought the food was OK but obviously not to Princess standard. I really noticed the difference as I went on Princess a week later.  I don't know how anyone drinks that "juice" it's so sickly sweet. Even if you dilute it by half with water it's still horrible. I gave up on that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

Thanks for the review.

I find Carnival good for the price point. I love the comedy club. I find the PG rated ones not so good. You see the comedians ready for a comeback then have to stop themselves due to kids in the audience. On Coral I loved the first 2. Of the second 2 one was OK, and I wasn't impressed with the other. 

I liked the way the dining worked as you never had to line up, just book then turn up when your table is ready (unlike Princess). 

I thought the food was OK but obviously not to Princess standard. I really noticed the difference as I went on Princess a week later.  I don't know how anyone drinks that "juice" it's so sickly sweet. Even if you dilute it by half with water it's still horrible. I gave up on that.

On the Splendor I found the juice very sweet so I watered it down with half juice and half water and I found it ok to drink, with the coffee in the Lido that was a hit & miss too

i had early dinner in the MDR and found the meals quite good and breakfast was good too in the MDR especially the Aussie breakfast 

i’m going on the Luminosa in a couple of weeks so I’ll compare ships

• Like 3