Tipping

Kahawali

Pre-pandemic it was rather case that tipping (crew-appreciation) charges automatically added to accounts on a daily basis were discretionary - ie the amount could be changed as required or even, I believe, reduced to zero. Is this still the case?

it was also the case that “Elite” passengers received a free wi-fi allowance but this seems to have been withdrawn. I suppose passengers have to pay for the huge losses incurred by the industry during Covid.

The cost of tipping and wi-fi make a big difference to the cost of a longer cruise.

If you have the standard fare then you can remove or adjust the daily crew appreciation. It is not recommended. Crew appreciation is a large part of the hotel staff's pay.

The free internet minutes benefit was removed. You now have to purchase internet. Price is $10/day for one device. When pre-purchased Platinum and Elite passengers will receive a 50% credit on their on board account. So the net amount becomes $5/day.

Both internet and crew appreciation is included in the plus fares along with the beverage package. The break even for plus fares is around two to three alcoholic beverages per person per day depending on how many non-alcoholic beverages you consume. It is a good value if you drink alcoholic beverages and if your OBC is limited or being used for other expenses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kahawali said:

The cost of tipping and wi-fi make a big difference to the cost of a longer cruise.

It does add up but you know that when booking.  If you can't "afford" it don't go.  We have recently had a less than perfect cruise but the staff was fabulous.  They work hard for months on end and the last place anyone cruising should be thinking about saving money is on the gratuity.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kahawali said:

Pre-pandemic it was rather case that tipping (crew-appreciation) charges automatically added to accounts on a daily basis were discretionary - ie the amount could be changed as required or even, I believe, reduced to zero. Is this still the case?

it was also the case that “Elite” passengers received a free wi-fi allowance but this seems to have been withdrawn. I suppose passengers have to pay for the huge losses incurred by the industry during Covid.

You will get NO sympathy here advocating for removal of Crew Incentive.  And - AFAIK - you cannot remove it from any bar or drink service (18%).

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Please note that the OP is from the UK, where the tipping culture is different. Of coursethey believe that their way is the only way.

If you are worried about tipping costs during a longer cruise, perhaps you cannot afford to take that longer cruise.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Please note that the OP is from the UK, where the tipping culture is different. Of coursethey believe that their way is the only way.

If you are worried about tipping costs during a longer cruise, perhaps you cannot afford to take that longer cruise.

The OP needs to adhere to the "When In Rome" idea. If he cruises on a ship where gratuities are the norm, then it is irresponsible to remove them due to his own selfishness. Responsible travelers don't force their own culture on the places they visit. They accept those "foreign" cultural norms as part of the experience of traveling.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

The OP needs to adhere to the "When In Rome" idea. If he cruises on a ship where gratuities are the norm, then it is irresponsible to remove them due to his own selfishness. Responsible travelers don't force their own culture on the places they visit. They accept those "foreign" cultural norms as part of the experience of traveling.

Exactly, when I vacationed in Japan I respected their tipping norms, which meant that not only was there no tipping, but attempting to tip was considered insulting. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the comments. I should point out that I never said that I was planning to do this, but I do have the old-fashioned view that a tip should be given for good service and the amount should be decided by the giver. Yes, the culture is different in the UK and elsewhere in Europe as someone points out.
Once the discretion is removed from tipping,  the payment becomes a (another) service charge, which is a shame because the incentive to provide exceptional service is then lost - unless of course yet another layer of additional tips is given. (a third layer by my reckoning).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kahawali said:

Thanks for all the comments. I should point out that I never said that I was planning to do this, but I do have the old-fashioned view that a tip should be given for good service and the amount should be decided by the giver. Yes, the culture is different in the UK and elsewhere in Europe as someone points out.
Once the discretion is removed from tipping,  the payment becomes a (another) service charge, which is a shame because the incentive to provide exceptional service is then lost - unless of course yet another layer of additional tips is given. (a third layer by my reckoning).

You will quickly discover that the service you will receive is quite good, and often exceptional. Your belief that there is no incentive to provide exceptional service with the "service charge" is entirely wrong. These people take pride in what they do. They provide excellent service BECAUSE they know they will be receiving those gratuities from the majority of the people they serve. Your assumption that they only provide excellent service to earn a tip reward is insulting. You are putting them in the same category as a performing animal who does tricks to earn a treat. 

And, to further challenge your assumptions, if a person removes the gratuities, do you agree that it should be fair then for the staff to react in kind and provide that person with the sub-par service they are paying for? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kahawali said:

We have been on 30 cruises and have never had bad service from waiters or stewards.  If service is average we do not tip extra.  However, if service is above average then we give additional tips accordingly. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Exactly, when I vacationed in Japan I respected their tipping norms, which meant that not only was there no tipping, but attempting to tip was considered insulting. 

And it's funny - we were just in Europe on a cruise and were told ahead of time that tipping was not normal.  No one told all the tour operators that - and pretty much everyone had a hand out.  Not a problem but I was glad I took extra "tip" money with me 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigeagle12 said:

We have been on 30 cruises and have never had bad service from waiters or stewards.  If service is average we do not tip extra.  However, if service is above average then we give additional tips accordingly. 

Another way you can reward exceptional service is to write up the employee as someone who made your cruise special. These commendations can lead to promotions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

You will quickly discover that the service you will receive is quite good, and often exceptional. Your belief that there is no incentive to provide exceptional service with the "service charge" is entirely wrong. These people take pride in what they do. They provide excellent service BECAUSE they know they will be receiving those gratuities from the majority of the people they serve. Your assumption that they only provide excellent service to earn a tip reward is insulting. You are putting them in the same category as a performing animal who does tricks to earn a treat. 

And, to further challenge your assumptions, if a person removes the gratuities, do you agree that it should be fair then for the staff to react in kind and provide that person with the sub-par service they are paying for? 

Wow.  Very hyperbolic because on one hand you say they provide good service because they know they will receive tips and at the same time insult the OP for thinking that tips promote good service.

Probably one of the reasons  they provide good service is because they know they will not be rehired if the crew or individuals receive too many negative reports in the follow-up surveys.

I agree with OP that auto-gratuities (?) seems a little like a resort fee and everyone knows how popular those hidden costs are in pricing of vacations.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Now I'm confused, whilst docked in Civitavecchia what do I do exactly 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kahawali said:

Here's the thing. It's not that you have an "old fashioned view".. it's that you have a different culture. We're the same.. tipping is not a thing down under. However.. as pointed out.. "when in Rome". If that's how they roll over the other side.. it's not for you and I to try and impose our culture and get indignant because they do things differently. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, antsp said:

Now I'm confused, whilst docked in Civitavecchia what do I do exactly 

Its really not difficult. While ON the ship, adhere to the ship's  policies. When OFF the ship, adhere to local customs. You won't find many Italians who regularly tip, other than rounding up their bill. But tour guides know that Americans seem to have tipping ingrained in their DNA, and may act accordingly.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4

For UK residents.  When I am in your county, I have to pay a VAT tax that is 20% added to my travel costs.  I am not given the option to decline or remove this.  I understand that I may be eligible for a refund after filling out forms and finding the right place to claim refunds.

On a cruise ship, crew appreciation is not a tax.  You might consider it a service charge.  But crew appreciation is not limited to just the wait staff and steward, it includes many people you do not see.  Each person will receive a small (and I do mean small) percentage of the overall daily charge.  

Yes, it is not something you "HAVE" to pay.  But, more of a gesture that is common in cruising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Here's the thing. It's not that you have an "old fashioned view".. it's that you have a different culture. We're the same.. tipping is not a thing down under. However.. as pointed out.. "when in Rome". If that's how they roll over the other side.. it's not for you and I to try and impose our culture and get indignant because they do things differently. 

Thank you for a rational view on this topic. I do my best to understand and appreciate the customs and culture of the places I visit, and to follow them instead of imposing my own. It's nice to see people from other countries with the same thinking when they come into contact with the customs of my home country. Our differences make each journey more interesting and enriching, not an intrusion and irritation. 

• Like 4

On our 10 day Princess Cruise this past October, we had a wifi discount because of our status.   We paid $75 for three devices for the entire cruise.   I'm sorry I can't remember the package pricing or the discount involved.  I do remember the normal discounted multi-device deal was $100 for 4 devices.  We managed somehow to do a little better than that.   

7 hours ago, bjkTX said:

And it's funny - we were just in Europe on a cruise and were told ahead of time that tipping was not normal.  No one told all the tour operators that - and pretty much everyone had a hand out.  Not a problem but I was glad I took extra "tip" money with me 🙂

Plenty of people will blame America for what you experienced.  BTW, it is interesting that tipping at restnts in London is an expectation.

Regarding cruise ship grats, whether one agrees or not,  what is important is that it is currently the expected norm and folks should oblige.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kahawali said:

That’s funny- when I first started cruising 20 years ago. The policy was”Tipping Not Required” and I always received stellar service 

• Like 1