ABC Islands - which one to chill beachside? Which ones to explore?

AmyinVail

8 minutes ago, AmyinVail said:

Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco (also St. Lucia and St. Kitts) - thinking to chill on Aruba at a beach club and explore the others?  Thoughts? Ideas?  Was thinking golf cart on Bonaire....... 

Amy, if you go to the Caribbean ports of call section there are forums for each of these islands that have a ton of good info on things to do and see.   Here is the link for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

• Like 3

We were on Curacao twice about 30 years ago and recall going to a very nice beaches  there.  We were on a B2B that had both legs stopping there.  I'd consider that for my beach day.

While I think Eagle Beach on Aruba is the nicest beach in the world, I'm not sure how well  it works for cruise passengers (we've always stayed for a week or so).  Some will recommend going to Baby Beach, I've never liked that beach - too shallow and too many people.  Reminds me of sharing a bath tub with a couple hundred others. 

If you are at all adventurous I'd consider renting a jeep and exploring Aruba.  It's very safe and very easy to get around.  Take a ride to Arikok park, drive through it to the southwest corner of the island and loop back through San Nicholas.  If the time is right, have lunch at Zee Rovers in Savaneta.  Then drive through town and north to the California Lighthouse.  Follow the shore and you'll see Eagle Beach and the low rise district followed by the high rise district then various other beaches including Malmok (very nice).  Stop anywhere along the way, beaches are all public.  

I also strongly encourage you to check the ports of call forums:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/101-aruba/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/42-bonaire/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/50-curacao/

• Like 1

Yes, definitely do the golf carts in Bonaire, it was so much fun!  In Aruba check out Trikes Aruba, it was a great tour and would probably give you time to take in the beach and do the tour.  Curaçao I did a tour that took us to a couple different beaches, I wasn’t overly impressed with any of them.  If I visit Curaçao again I would walk around downtown.  St. Lucia I did a great tour that included mud baths, a waterfall and a visit to the beach at the base of the Pitons.  St. Kitts check out Royston tours, it was a great full day tour of the island with a beach visit.

• Like 1

been to aruba and curacao. as far as im concerned there is nothing to do in aruba but shop, gamble or go to the beach. never been to bonaire, but i understand its great if you scuba dive or snorkel

curacao is by far the most picturesque and worth just wandering around the city. we were there many years ago, and it's beautiful.coming into the harbor, all the shops/buildings are all pastel colors.

out of all the ports on the cruise, im most looking forward to seeing curacao once again. actually the only reason i booked this cruise is for the canal transit

• Like 1

I've been to all three and am not a beach person. So many great things to explore at all three, but be sure to check the port forums. Curaçao was our favorite.  We rented a car and drove to the western end of the island to hike to the highest peak. Only one road goes there, so it's an easy drive. You have to go early or they won't let you go due to heat. Then we grabbed local food, went to the caves (which gave us a private tour!) and then went to the Blue Curaçao factory.  It was empty there by the time we went since tour groups had already passed through. Definitely one of my favorite port days ever!

Edited by AKR2011

Been to the ABC islands twice.  I would pick Aruba or Curacao for my beach day.  We like to get dropped off near DePalm Pier in Aruba.  In Bonaire, either rent a golf cart and explore the island......go to Sorobon Beach and have lunch/drinks and watch the windsurfing.  Or if you snorkel, definitely go on a snorkeling excursion while there.

15 hours ago, AmyinVail said:

Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco (also St. Lucia and St. Kitts) - thinking to chill on Aruba at a beach club and explore the others?  Thoughts? Ideas?  Was thinking golf cart on Bonaire....... 

Aruba has some great beaches, Bonaire has excellent diving and snorkeling. St Lucia is a great place for a full day tour. I would check out https://www.cosol-tours.com/our-tours/

Our tour was 6 hours and was excellent

I'd do the beach day in Aruba.  In Bonaire we did an amazing snorkel tour with Woodwind.  They were within walking distance from the ship and provided a wonderful guided tour with lunch.  In Curacao we did a private island tour through Gone Caribe.  They will customize your tour or you can pick one of their pre-set tours.  Again, it was a wonderful day with a lot of great information.