Water shut down Koningsdam Thanksgiving sailing

meh56

I’m just curious how maintenance or needed repairs during the middle of the night is a big deal?  Haven’t you had plumbing work done on your house that required the water to be turned off for a few hours?  I know I have.  Same with the electric service when we’ve made various upgrades over the years.  

I get that it’s annoying, but is it really a big deal?  If you have to go, go, close the lid, and flush in the morning when you wake up.  Have a pitcher of water for hand washing and a bottle for drinking.  

I travel extensively for work and the same thing occasionally happens in hotels. It’s not like they’re saying no water for 24 hours.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Does the water system in your house flex and twist every single day?  Cause a ship's piping does.  Is your house subject to corrosion through electrolysis due to being submerged in salt water?  They are likely making successive repairs to pipes that have failed or are near to failing.  And, as for the timing, even if they did it during the day, in port, where most of the pax are ashore, there would still be people affected, as would the ship's laundry and galley, resulting in poorer service to the pax.  The midnite to 4 am period affects the least amount of ship's services of any time frame.

The Norwegian Sky had problems with the fresh water piping installation at new build, which manifested itself 6 years later, and resulted in constant piping repairs, until the decision was made in 2008 to renew the entire piping system, miles and miles of piping.

I've spent 500 days on hal ship plus another 100 or so on other lines.  Is this happening on every cruise shop on every line?  I've had it happen on one ship for maybe 1 hour during the night.  I wonder why this hasn't happened on every cruise I've been on.

28 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I've spent 500 days on hal ship plus another 100 or so on other lines.  Is this happening on every cruise shop on every line?  I've had it happen on one ship for maybe 1 hour during the night.  I wonder why this hasn't happened on every cruise I've been on.

Nearly every ship will have piping repairs all the time.  It is one reason the ship employs several plumbers (not just to unclog toilets).  Unless it is the main line, there will be limited areas shut down for repairs, as there are isolation valves around the ship to limit disruptions.  It could be a single deck, or just a bank of cabins between fire doors, or even just a single cabin.  Very likely these were done during the day while you were ashore, or at night, with little notice given due to the limited scope of the shutdown.  Various ships built at various yards will utilize different piping system materials, which could result in better or worse performance down the years.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Nearly every ship will have piping repairs all the time.  It is one reason the ship employs several plumbers (not just to unclog toilets).  ............................

Plumbers! Some of the busiest and hardest working crew on a cruise ship! Lots of respect and kudos to those gents, on HAL all hailing from the Philippines

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Which HAL cruises are you booked on in the near future.  Since you have good luck with plumbing, I’ll sail on your cruises. 😂🔧🪣

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

There has to be sone drama queen sleeping down in the atrium with a bucket 

I'm pretty sure that's spelled "Bouquet", first name Hyacinth, the lady of the house! I happen to have a pic of her 

Hello Mrs. David, Yes - I'm calling you on my mobile phone. It's Hyacinth  Bucket. Hello! Hello! It must be a bad… | Keeping up appearances, Funny  comedy, Appearance

• Like 3
  • Haha 17

It is currently Saturday morning and DH was just now able to get our water to work properly and toilet to flush. We had maintenance in our room a lot of yesterday because we only had hot water, and as of when they left we still had NO water in the toilet and couldn’t flush properly since the “maintenance”. I think our room is just unlucky, but it is frustrating to not have our bathroom functioning properly for all of yesterday.

Edited by cruisegirl06
Water functionality finally restored!

2 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

My mother was SO much like Hyacinth! I loved that show. 

We had neighbors we dubbed “Onslow and Daisy”. That said it all.

Their house was bought by a famous flipper and took extra long to rehab. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Haha 3

On 11/25/2022 at 3:53 AM, meh56 said:

We have been given a letter that said water will be turned off from midnight tonight until 4AM for routine maintenance. We will not water and will not be able to use the toilet during these hours. We have over 30 years of traveling on cruise ships and never heard of this. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?

Good Gracious 🤦‍♂️ just for about four hours ,don't fret about it.  Use a pubic toilet if necessary ( or use the flush when fixed)  Tuck yourself up in bed and have an early night .

Have I ever heard/experience this on a cruise ship , Yes !    and even worse 'Maintenance' issues. 

On 11/24/2022 at 8:11 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

It makes me wonder what the problem is.  I’ve been on the ship for almost 2 weeks.  Same thing happened last week except there was no notice, just a nasty surprise in the middle of the night. There is no way that it  is because someone flushed something they shouldn’t.  This is super annoying.

We were on the ship last week and got a written notice the day before. 

On 11/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, meh56 said:

We have been given a letter that said water will be turned off from midnight tonight until 4AM for routine maintenance. We will not water and will not be able to use the toilet during these hours. We have over 30 years of traveling on cruise ships and never heard of this. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?

You are fortunate that the water was off during the night.

Several years ago we did a 28 day San Diego/Fort Lauderdale/San Diego on tthe previous Statendam, on turn around day in Fort Lauderdale woke to discover a letter in our mail box, stating that the water would be off from 9 am until 11 am.  Water was turned on again at 2.30 pm.

Was sorry for  passengers embarking before 2.30 pm .

I appreciate all of your replies. This shut down involved all water and bathrooms on board. When speaking with the room steward we were told not to put water in the toilet and not to flush it. No information was given to us by customer service on board. They said it was just maintenance but it seems like an ongoing issue. Maybe 4 hours is not a lot to some people but when you are in your 70's and visit the bathroom a few times a night it becomes a problem. Also how do you know it is only going to be 4 hours. I thank

chengkp75 for the response.

• Like 1