Sweet wine.......

emerald777

I'm sure a wine connoisseur may have a heart attack reading this, but I've been know to mix a cabernet or pinot with a moscato to get a pretty good sweet red.  On NCL ships most all the bars have moscato, so was easy to order one of each and mix together, but haven't noticed any Moscato on any of the wine lists for Princess.  I do plan on bringing 2 bottles of Barefoot Red Blend, but that won't last 8 days.  

Funny story on Moscato.  We have a friend who loves the stuff.  They are also cruise nuts who regularly do 120 - 150 day cruises and also B2B2B2B2B cruises.  In other words she is a very good customer for the lines she cruises on.  On one cruise she mentioned to her waiter that there was no Moscato on board.  The wine manager sent someone to a liquor store at the next port to get some Moscato especially for her.  Whenever she cruises on that line which is often they make sure that they have Moscato.  That is good customer support.

DON

• Like 8

I sometimes order a "gently sweet" wine. Gewürztraminer is "sometimes" slightly sweet. I've been known to order Gewürztraminer to check it out. If it's one of the "gently sweet" ones I'll have it again. If not, I skip it. (We usually stick to reds but I do like a good Gewürztraminer.)

While it may not be the "sweet" wine the OP is looking for there is usually a Port available.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

Vines has had a Demi-sec Vouvray and a Navarro Gewurztraminer in the past, both of which have pretty noticeable residual sugar.  With the current state of the wine lists, it’s a bit of a crapshoot to know what they’ll have going forward.  

• Like 1

It is nice to see that sparkling Moscato.

Wine experts would think we are just awful, but we like moderately priced white wines.

We usually bring some onboard. 

Years ago, when DH asked for a sweet white, they brought Rex Goliath!!!   Seriously...  Uggghhhh!

Probably as much for that glass of wine as that cheap stuff is on the shelf by the bottle.

I think it is pretty much thought that the wines are not the reason to get the drink package.

Maybe Premium,  IF they will find some good ones onboard?

• Like 1

Despite me telling my wife that there are other sweet wines besides Moscato, nothing other than Moscato is right for her.

On our recent Majestic cruise the only Moscato on the wine lists was at Vines, however we soon learned it was available at all bars. We only had the Plus package but the generic Moscato provided was Brown Brothers which is not a cheap paint thinners wine, so the wife was happy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1