Cruising Paperless - can it be done?

rodndonna

We are getting ready for a cruise this weekend, and preparing to print boarding pass and luggage tags.

Nor surprisingly, we are our of ink, again!

• When was the last time we used the printer - print tags and passes for a cruise in September.
  • When was the last time before that? To print boarding passes and luggage tags for a June cruise,.
  • When was the last time before that ... a cruise last December..... (and I am pretty sure that was a new cartridge)

......you get the idea ...

We have no use for a printer anymore except for cruising stuff and would like to just move past it and go paperless. Not ready to bite the bullet just yet, so are just printing out our baggage tags at Staples and staying electronic for the boarding pass for this cruise.

Has anyone migrated to pure paperless to board a cruise? I "believe" if you arrive without baggage tags, they will just write your room number on a bag tag.

I suppose it's doable. But having the paper makes things easier. I cruised NCL out of Boston in June. Needed to have boarding pass, Covid test, Bermuda Authorization, and Covid card. I had everything printed. By the time we got to the person doing the doc check, we were done in about a minute, versus the people that had to keep flipping back and forth to things on their phones.

• Like 1

I've also read the luggage tags are available at the port.   So it seems that technically, paper copies of anything would not be needed.  We have yet to go paperless.  Still print various stuff as a "back-up".  

Going paperless - that is scary stuff!  😀

As with everything electronic, it is subject to failure. If not taking paper copies, what is your back-up plan? Personally, I never rely on the potential of a single point failure, always have a back up plan, which for me includes printing copies of everything. As a frequent traveller, I have required the back up paper copies multiple times.

Since this is a marine forum, for some perspective, ships now use electronic charts, which must have a 2nd separate system and multiple power sources. However, they still carry limited paper charts.

• Like 4

On our last sailing, our printed 'boarding pass' acquired several stickers and stamps between arrival at security and scanning the bar code entering the ship. 

That would be much more awkward on a phone or tablet - likely a delay while a paper boarding pass was printed.

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As with everything electronic, it is subject to failure. If not taking paper copies, what is your back-up plan? Personally, I never rely on the potential of a single point failure, always have a back up plan, which for me includes printing copies of everything. As a frequent traveller, I have required the back up paper copies multiple times.

Since this is a marine forum, for some perspective, ships now use electronic charts, which must have a 2nd separate system and multiple power sources. However, they still carry limited paper charts.

What is so crucial for you to have (besides ID) that must be in paper form or you risk missing your cruise?

I haven't brought paper to a cruise in years. I keep screenshots of important data in case I don't get signal. I can also send it to the other half just in case. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

What is so crucial for you to have (besides ID) that must be in paper form or you risk missing your cruise?

Re read Heidi 13s post. He stressed the importance of BACKUP in case of electronic failure; not its requirement as a primary source. We had everything on the cruiseline app. Good to go. Nothing else required. Until we got to the cruise terminal. Their app was down and so was their wifi. l had to use our paper backups: actual passport, covid tests, Vax certificates, and travel summary before we could board. And while you can get luggage tags at the port, they are still paper.

37 minutes ago, mom says said:

Re read Heidi 13s post. He stressed the importance of BACKUP in case of electronic failure; not its requirement as a primary source. We had everything on the cruiseline app. Good to go. Nothing else required. Until we got to the cruise terminal. Their app was down and so was their wifi. l had to use our paper backups: actual passport, covid tests, Vax certificates, and travel summary before we could board. And while you can get luggage tags at the port, they are still paper.

Re-read my post. Aside from ID (which I never travel with less than 2), what do you need that is so important? Vax and COVID tests are largely not a requirement anymore. If they are, you can usually upload them to something. I mentioned screenshots because they require no reliable on wifi or systems connection.

Maybe the case here is that if all of the stars align, you can be slightly inconvenienced on your check-in. Which can happen anyways if there are system issues. Maybe some lines still requiring COVID documentation could be a problem. I have yet to see evidence that I need to print out 10 pages for my upcoming cruise as a blanket statement.

I travel paperless.   electronic boarding passes plus a digital photo backed up in the cloud.  I get my luggage tags at the pier.  My backup is the cloud and my iPad.   Final backup is my TA who has all info.  

if you lose all devices you can always buy another one.  Our maxim when traveling for business for 30 years was “there is always Walmart in a pinch”

Unfortunately DH is a dinosaur so he carries some paper but far less than previous years.  Currently he carries an itinerary and anything he is delegated - and I can’t think of what that might be😁 - oh yes, he is the keeper of the passports and vaccine cards 

Edited by Mary229

8 hours ago, mom says said:

And while you can get luggage tags at the port, they are still paper.

But it is the cruise line’s printer which is more to the point than whether paper is used 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I travel paperless.   electronic boarding passes plus a digital photo backed up in the cloud.  I get my luggage tags at the pier.  My backup is the cloud and my iPad.   Final backup is my TA who has all info.  

if you lose all devices you can always buy another one.  Our maxim when traveling for business for 30 years was “there is always Walmart in a pinch”

Unfortunately DH is a dinosaur so he carries some paper but far less than previous years.  Currently he carries an itinerary and anything he is delegated - and I can’t think of what that might be😁 - oh yes, he is the keeper of the passports and vaccine cards 

Passports  ????? Aren't they "paper"?    And, having a mule with you does make it possible to "travel paperless".  Fortunate for you to be able to travel with a dinosaur.

My office has been paperless for years now but I'm still not at a point where I want to travel paperless (of course I mean papers that have to be printed out, which seems to be the OP's main concern). Some things still need hard copies such as passports and drivers licenses and proof of citizenship. When COVID vaccine proof was needed for the cruise we took last November it needed to be the original document as well. I like having backups for things if they are available at no/low cost and printing things out fits that definition (as well as having pictures on the phone). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As with everything electronic, it is subject to failure. If not taking paper copies, what is your back-up plan?

My wife and I have a backup plan of each other. It's unlikely both of us will have tech issues with our phones/devices at the same time, so we just share everything and both have a digital copy. We also save all of our travel stuff in TripIt, which doesn't require Internet once it's in there...so that's a good place to keep all of our travel info should we need to pull up confirmations, flight info, etc. I use it for my work travel too (which is extensive) and it has never let me down yet in the 10+ years I've been using it (and is also a great way for my wife to figure out where I am at any given moment on the road). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Passports  ????? Aren't they "paper"?    And, having a mule with you does make it possible to "travel paperless".  Fortunate for you to be able to travel with a dinosaur.

I look forward to the day passports are digital. And heh DH prefers the term Sherpa not mule😉.  The term Wallet is acceptable as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If ALL you need to do is print the occasional boarding pass and luggage tag, consider setting an online account at your local UPS Store or Kinkos.  When you need to print something, send them an online file, and an hour later you can stop and pick it up.  A printed color page costs sixty cents, and one of these places is probably near where you shop.  You could even have your luggage tag laminated, if you wish.  

To answer the original question -- yes -- you can show your boarding pass on your phone, and you can get a luggage tag at the port; but I personally feel "safer" having them printed and in-hand.  No having the battery die or having to search for the pass while people behind you stare.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Has anyone migrated to pure paperless to board a cruise?

Not me.  I like my paper.  I find it very useful and/or reassuring on my trips.  It doesn't take up much space or weigh very much.  I'll switch over to all digital when everyone makes me switch - which I hope is a long way off.

But to answer the question you posed in the title of your thread, I think we're at the point where you can do everything paperless if you like - at least on some cruise lines.  

• Like 1

Thank you all!

I think we have our answer -

I should have stated my question better - it was really "Can I (the passenger) arrive paperless (i.e. avoid printing materials to bring with me).

We will keep copies of the boarding documents on our devices (not rely on internet).  I am not concerned with this, and if anything, I think I would have a hard time getting anywhere nowadays with a paper copy of something that says I belong when they can't verify me on their system. What they can load based on my ID will trump any paper I bring so not too worried there and we have flown this way some time now.

My main concern was those darned ink-heavy luggage tags - uughh.

I realize at some point, luggage tags (paper) are required, I just don't want to have to supply them, and it sounds like that is an option.

Our ink-less printer can now be relegated to the 'to-go' in our decluttering pile 🥳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That's our general packing plan for vacations - don't sweat forgetting something, or bringing the "maybe or not likely needed" items .... 

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

That's our general packing plan for vacations - don't sweat forgetting something, or bringing the "maybe or not likely needed" items .... 

On our last cruise I left one of our carry on bags on the bed and we didn't realized until we checked into the pre-flight hotel. Once we arrived at the port city we made a stop at Walmart to buy what we needed (including a new carry on bag). 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If ALL you need to do is print the occasional boarding pass and luggage tag, consider setting an online account at your local UPS Store or Kinkos.

technically have an office, but between working from home and traveling for work, I am in there like...one day every month or two? They always joke that when they see me, they know it's because something needs to be printed. 

• Haha 1

My answer is "it depends" on a few factors.  Since it is madness to rely on a single device I would preface my comments by saying we would sometimes be comfy with only electronic docs if it was on two devices (such as DW's and my iPhone).  And the docs should be stored on the device, not on the Cloud since WiFi and cell connections can fail (especially inside buildings.

That being said, we often find that hard copies are much faster when it comes to dealing with various formalities.  When a document is very important, I do like to have a back-up hard copy.  And when it comes to cruises we always want hard copies of docs that relate to On Board Credits.  On many cruises we have had issues where we did not get our promised OBCs, and having a hard copy to give Guest Relations saves time and hassles.  Having a copy on a device is not as convenient as it will still need to be printed at Guest Relations.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If ALL you need to do is print the occasional boarding pass and luggage tag, consider setting an online account at your local UPS Store or Kinkos.  When you need to print something, send them an online file, and an hour later you can stop and pick it up.  A printed color page costs sixty cents, and one of these places is probably near where you shop.  You could even have your luggage tag laminated, if you wish.  

Thanks - That is our back-up plan now having decided to remove our inkless printer from the home. We can just print anything we might need at a Staples - they have self-serve printing. 

It makes me feel young to ditch our printer - I really can't imagine anyone in their 20's has a printer (unless they live with their parents)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I haven't brought paper to a cruise in years. I keep screenshots of important data in case I don't get signal. I can also send it to the other half just in case. 

I use paper as a back-up, but essential paper documents that quickly come to mind are Visas and International Vaccination Booklet. For COVID vaccinations we have a Govt issued electronic record, so the paper cards are only a backup. While an increasing number of Visas are now electronic, many still require a paper Visa. Even electronic Visas have a paper backup.

Not having this information readily available in some countries will result in missing the cruise.