Quantum of the Seas Loses a Lifeboat

Oakman58

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I searched "Quantum of the Seas lifeboat incident" on another social media site.

Captures from a FB page, it was no test, the davits have not moved the tender clear of the ship when the cable fails.

image.png.0e0f5f0cd9d9e539dbe62004abb244ae.pngimage.png.baa74dd07ae4d74229afbbfbba97d6a0.png

image.png.ad9c76eb3e6d911fa8967886f6291330.png

• Like 3

I’m onboard - surprisingly this incident is not well known (I learned about it just now). Everyone has complained about how poor the tendering process has been though, now I kind of understand why.

Yes, this was indeed at Mystery Island. Surprisingly tendering wasn’t too delayed that day, but they have been over cautious and slow.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, F27TW said:

... Somebody got a drug test.   Or a one way ticket home.  

Per maritime law, everyone physically present during the incident, as well as the supervisor will get a drug and alcohol test.

6 hours ago, Oxymoron said:

Captures from a FB page, it was no test, the davits have not moved the tender clear of the ship when the cable fails.

If, as I've read elsewhere, that there was no one in the boat at the time, then the hooks holding the boat to the wires were never attached and locked properly, and this was merely waiting for a time to happen.  Surprised they were able to lift the boat back up the last time it was used, when the hooks were improperly engaged, without dropping it.  While stowed, the boat has "safety straps" that hold it to the davits.  These were likely removed in preparation for lowering, and a vibration from lowering the other boats, or a jostle when starting to swing out the davit jarred the hooks loose.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, Oakman58 said:

I'm sure the passengers who witnessed this weren't inspired with confidence in the crew.  😁

Thee project too much!  I doubt any passengers ran to their rooms, packed their bags and demanded to disembark.  Ship happens.  No one was hurt.  Move along.  Nothing to see here.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, reallyitsmema said:

It is actually right side up.  The other video is twice as long and shows more.  Someone curses in the video, so I am not going to post it here as it might just get deleted.

Even the short video it looks like it ended up right side up. Not sure why people think it was upside down.

Edited by OSUZorba
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Does anyone remember when the lifeboats would be lowered and the crew would sort of paddle around?  I remember it on Sovereign.  Long time ago.

It is still required that each boat be lowered to the water and exercised monthly.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, Oakman58 said:

I'm sure the passengers who witnessed this weren't inspired with confidence in the crew.  😁

Let's be honest; does anyone believe it wouldn't be complete chaos in a real emergency?    I love the crews, they are always great, but in an emergency....

1 hour ago, JoeD67 said:

Let's be honest; does anyone believe it wouldn't be complete chaos in a real emergency?    I love the crews, they are always great, but in an emergency....

Well, I'm always in a minority here on CC, but as someone who has done emergency drills on ships for decades, has experienced real emergencies on ships, who has run cruise ship muster drills and fire and boat drills, and who has had the required training in crowd and crisis management, no I don't believe it would be complete chaos.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JoeD67 said:

crowd management is vital to an emergency and that is where you will noticed the good and bad crew 

My question is do they ever test lowering the lifeboats with a capacity number of people on board?  I believe the lifeboats on Quantum of the Seas have a capacity of 370 people.  Full capacity would probably be around 60,000 pounds or more and it seems to me that 30 tons could put some serious stress on the lowering equipment.

My other question is how many passengers could realistically fit in a lifeboat that has a capacity of 370 passengers.

26 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

My question is do they ever test lowering the lifeboats with a capacity number of people on board?  I believe the lifeboats on Quantum of the Seas have a capacity of 370 people.  Full capacity would probably be around 60,000 pounds or more and it seems to me that 30 tons could put some serious stress on the lowering equipment.

My other question is how many passengers could realistically fit in a lifeboat that has a capacity of 370 passengers.

Every 5 years, the boats, davits and wires are weight tested.  They don't use people, they use water filled bags to equal the weight.  The SOLAS weight of an individual is 87.5kg (192.5lbs), and the boats are loaded to 110% of the capacity for the test.  Any time repairs are made to the boats or davits, a weight test is required.  The wires are renewed every 5 years.  For a lifeboat like Quantum's, that is actually 78,000 lbs.  The boats have to be lowered, stopped, hold the load for a couple of minutes, and then they can be lowered to the water and the releasing gear is tested with the overload weight.

370 people will fit in a boat marked for 370 people, but even if everyone was the standard weight or less, it ain't gonna be comfortable.  This is tested prior to a manufacturer's boats gaining approval.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, JoeD67 said:

My thoughts exactly!  I'm a big safety guy.  When I did my last pre-covid muster drill, the crew makes the presentation out like its a big party and a joke.  Needless to say, I was quite mad.  Emergencies brings out a persons true nature.  I would love to see their reaction when the fit hits the shan. 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:26 PM, JoeD67 said:

Judging from some of the well-known cruise ship disaster responses, the crews responded well in those emergencies.  

Costa Concordia:  crew did not panic*, tried to get everyone off safely, several were honored later for their bravery and selflessness.  

Carnival Triumph:  nearly all accounts said that the crew responded admirably to the fire emergency initially, and to the onboard hardships later.  

Grandeur of the Seas (2013):  crew responded calmly, lifeboats were lowered on the davits; evacuation was not ordered although the entire back of the ship was charred and the guests were ordered to muster.   This news report gives a shout-out to CruiseCritic:

-----

* excepting Captain Schettino, of course  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Judging from some of the well-known cruise ship disaster responses, the crews responded well in those emergencies.  

I find it weird- the same people that argue against this kind of point also argue against in-person mustering or safety protocols more generally which have been proven over the years to be beneficial in emergency situations. It's as simple as showing people (who are in a brand new environment) what to do in an emergency so they do that when one happens.

Thank you for posting historical examples showing these safety related procedures do work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Costa Concordia:  crew did not panic*, tried to get everyone off safely, several were honored later for their bravery and selflessness.  

Carnival Triumph:  nearly all accounts said that the crew responded admirably to the fire emergency initially, and to the onboard hardships later.  

Grandeur of the Seas (2013):  crew responded calmly, lifeboats were lowered on the davits; evacuation was not ordered although the entire back of the ship was charred and the guests were ordered to muster.   This news report gives a shout-out to CruiseCritic:

-----

* excepting Captain Schettino, of course  

Concordia? You can't be serious...outside of the fact the Captain bailed out first...the crew was in disarray...multiple accounts of passengers taking over because crew did not perform. In addition multiple people just jumped in the water and attempted to swim ashore.  

1 minute ago, rolloman said:

Concordia? You can't be serious...outside of the fact the Captain bailed out first...the crew was in disarray...multiple accounts of passengers taking over because crew did not perform. In addition multiple people just jumped in the water and attempted to swim ashore.  

Have you read the official report?

• Like 2