Broken wine bottle

N2DFIRE

Not Royal, but a few years ago I was on Disney and heard a loud (on one side) discussion in the hallway between a guest and some officers. (Hint: the officers were not loud.) The guest had put wine in his suitcase and it busted and got into luggage belonging to other people. The stateroom hosts distributing the luggage noticed it and contacted their supervisor who contacted the Hotel Director who contacted someone else higher up - so it was known whose luggage it was on both sides. (I guess once the higher ups got there they opened the wet luggage to determine whose was naughty - I didn’t overhear that part of the discussion.)

I’d hope the stateroom hosts distributing the luggage on any line would notice that kind of thing before it got to you.

The guilty party was given the choice of paying for repair and/or replacement of the damaged bags or removal from the ship.

(I was on my way out to do something, so I don’t know how it turned out as I didn’t get a good enough look at the person who was inconsiderate enough to disobey the rules.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not Royal, but a few years ago I was on Disney and heard a loud (on one side) discussion in the hallway between a guest and some officers. (Hint: the officers were not loud.) The guest had put wine in his suitcase and it busted and got into luggage belonging to other people. The stateroom hosts distributing the luggage noticed it and contacted their supervisor who contacted the Hotel Director who contacted someone else higher up - so it was known whose luggage it was on both sides. (I guess once the higher ups got there they opened the wet luggage to determine whose was naughty - I didn’t overhear that part of the discussion.)

I’d hope the stateroom hosts distributing the luggage on any line would notice that kind of thing before it got to you.

The guilty party was given the choice of paying for repair and/or replacement of the damaged bags or removal from the ship.

(I was on my way out to do something, so I don’t know how it turned out as I didn’t get a good enough look at the person who was inconsiderate enough to disobey the rules.)

Perfect. Pay up or get off!!! Better yet don't be a stupid lazy #$%^ and carry your #$%^ on yourself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Maybe open every bag for an inspection before boarding?

Oh, you are going after this single post with a vengeance.  Your idea would cause enormous delays and be very costly. What else would you ban if somebody implied a spill spoiled some of their luggage/clothing….perfume, mouthwash, hair care products?

As to the wine, rule that it goes in the carry on bags (already done).  Have porters confirm that wine (and meds and passports) are in carry on bags (already done).  Cross pack your own luggage and if your luggage is not waterproof, use ziplock bags to protect contents.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Oh, you are going after this single post with a vengeance.  Your idea would cause enormous delays and be very costly. What else would you ban if somebody implied a spill spoiled some of their luggage/clothing….perfume, mouthwash, hair care products?

As to the wine, rule that it goes in the carry on bags (already done).  Have porters confirm that wine (and meds and passports) are in carry on bags (already done).  Cross pack your own luggage and if your luggage is not waterproof, use ziplock bags to protect contents.

Again, my ideas are just my thoughts. Lol. I promise not to bring them up at the next board meeting. 

On 12/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, BND said:

That's a bit petty considering the word requests also means "asks" which is what they do.  They ask that guests bring wine in their carryon.  

The warping of word definitions is a favorite pass time on these boards.  You must bring in your carry-on, wine, soda, water or any liquid to drink.....you can use any rule, or try to warp any rule, but it stays the same, carry-on and you can drink it, checked luggage, and it stays locked up until last day. 

I bet that was miserable since you were stuck on the flight.  I hope it was a short one.  
I remember once in a restaurant with friends a glass of iced tea was spilled on me from above.  They were at least able to provide a cloth tablecloth to keep me warm.   A plane wouldn't have had that.  

1 hour ago, poocher said:

So then I need the legal argument explained.  Isn’t the person stowing wine against policy the negligent party?  Always wanted to go to Law School, was never able to.  

In addition to poocher’s question, doesn’t the cruise contract limit the cruiseline’s liability for luggage to a specific (and rather low) dollar amount?  Doesn’t the entire travel industry (including the cruiselines) encourage people to purchase insurance to cover their luggage and other losses? Though still inconvenient, insurance should also help defray cleaning and/or replacement costs.  Do those of us that still chose to travel without paying for extra coverage for our luggage deserve to pay a price for that choice if and when something happens?  (We chose travel medical and evacuation coverage and consider ourselves self-insured against other losses.)

Edited by Starry Eyes

On 12/11/2022 at 10:48 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

People keep mentioning that the cruise ship should pay to wash this person's clothes. What about the suitcase? If it got wet enough to soak their clothes, the chances of the suitcase being dry by the time they need to pack up and go home is probably low (it's so humid in the Caribbean, nothing dries all the way). Even once dry, the suitcase is ruined. How do you clean up a cloth suitcase?

I've heard of people whose suitcases got broken and were given a new suitcase from a stash that Royal has on-hand. Hopefully for this person, whatever free suitcase Royal has available to give them would be hard-sided. I've never had anything inside my hard-sided suitcases get wet, even when sitting on the tarmac in rain and snow. Even better is my aluminum suitcase. It's got a rubber gasket seal, so nothing inside gets wet, and nothing inside ever breaks. It's a beast of a suitcase. 

As for the wine, I've mentioned this before, but whenever I travel with wine, I bring my wine suitcase. I've flown with it so many times on long international flights with layovers and plane changes, my wine has never broken. For anyone who drinks expensive wine, or who travels places where you want t bring your own, or where you want to bring some home, it's worth the investment. If you go to a resort that charges $14/glass of wine, you can save $350 by bringing 5 of your own bottles, which pays for the cost of the suitcase on trip #1. 

https://flywithwine.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnNacBhDvARIsABnDa68XAniELHaMiJN6m3_DpSnOy_-Fkt7c6nz_owj789jY0WODXKDO-GIaApRtEALw_wcB

Those are a great idea. I could not tell from the photos, is the 'FlywithWine' name or logo on the outside of the luggage?

I have a confession to make.  Back on the Jewel in 2006, I purchased a bottle of banana rum for a friend back in Canada.  I put it in my checked luggage expecting it to be confiscated.  Doesn't bag show up at our door.  So when I opened it I asked my wife, "Do you smell bananas?"  Well didn't the bottle break and all my clothes absorbed the liquor.  So if anyone is on these boards and your bag was received smelling of bananas, please accept my deepest apologizes.  

Edited by Magicat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1