We had a Cabana Club on Nieuw Amsterdam! For about 30 minutes. 12/11/22

Don Kehote

4 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

Well their request was to meet with the Food and Beverage service manager, so yes since the Hotel Manager is in charge of accommodations(even temporary)they would be the person to make aware of the situation.

So, the F&B manager has nada to do with a so-called "VIP" blaring the Cranberries on his boombox inside the cabana area! That goes all the way up to the hotel general manager (new title after HM and HD). Not sure why the OP has/had a meeting with the F&B mngr. since there's neither food nor beverage involved in this/his valid complaint! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

So, the F&B manager has nada to do with a so-called "VIP" blaring the Cranberries on his boombox inside the cabana area! That goes all the way up to the hotel general manager (new title after HM and HD). Not sure why the OP has/had a meeting with the F&B mngr. since there's neither food nor beverage involved in this/his valid complaint! 

My understanding is that the Cabana attendants are part of the F and B department.   I guess the complaint might be that the F and B employees didn't take appropriate action.   - That's the best I got to weave this in to a meeting with the F&B manager.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

My understanding is that the Cabana attendants are part of the F and B department.   I guess the complaint might be that the F and B employees didn't take appropriate action.   - That's the best I got to weave this in to a meeting with the F&B manager.

I hear ya however, there is no F&B department per se! There is a beverage group headed by the beverage mngr. There is a restaurant group (the old food service dept.) headed by a restaurant operations mngr. and there is a galley group (the old food preparation dept.) headed by the executive chef. There is the Hotel General Manager (the old hotel manager and then hotel director) with the ultimate responsibility of the entire hotel dept. Below him/her are the asst. hotel gm and the F&B director who both function as the right hand persons of the hotel gm. Not 100% sure who the cabana attendants belong to but will find out  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I hear ya however, there is no F&B department per se! There is a beverage group headed by the beverage mngr. There is a restaurant group (the old food service dept.) headed by a restaurant operations mngr. and there is a galley group (the old food preparation dept.) headed by the executive chef. There is the Hotel General Manager (the old hotel manager and then hotel director) with the ultimate responsibility of the entire hotel dept. Below him/her are the asst. hotel gm and the F&B director who both function as the right hand persons of the hotel gm. Not 100% sure who the cabana attendants belong to but will find out  

When I stayed in a Cabana once in 2021 on the Koningsdam , I asked our attendants if they participated in the Gratuity Pool - they said No cuz they were part of beverage and shared in the 18% beverage tip pool.    That was over a year ago - so your never know....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

When I stayed in a Cabana once in 2021 on the Koningsdam , I asked our attendants if they participated in the Gratuity Pool - they said No cuz they were part of beverage and shared in the 18% beverage tip pool.    That was over a year ago - so your never know....

Your understanding is the same as mine although I have no idea of the inner workings of hal.

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

The cabana attendants are bar waiters, so, yes, they are part of the 18% tip pool, not the HSC grat pool.

The OP also posted on a HAL Facebook page and never came back to say anything more.  It’s disappointing when people post like this without coming back to say if anything was actually done other than a refund.  

I would find it very annoying as well to be told a VIP gets to disturb all the others.  

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I was wondering if Security is ever involved with this type of occurrence?  And would the post about the drunk entertainers in the hot tub be the type of occasion for Security to be called?

14 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I was wondering if Security is ever involved with this type of occurrence?  And would the post about the drunk entertainers in the hot tub be the type of occasion for Security to be called?

Security is only called for people wearing bathrobes in the Lido. A net is thrown over them and they are swiftly whisked away

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Security does not get involved in a guest/occupant of the cabana area bringing in a speaker to start blaring music, unless the situation gets out of hand. Initial response to the situation described would be of the supervisor of the cabana attendants, going up to the dept. head.

I have not seen a post describing the behavior of allegedly inebriated entertainers inside a hot tub (perhaps you can point me in the correct direction), but that would involve security, as well as the entertainment director and, if proven to be ETOH, there would be consequences for those individuals. Being intoxicated as a crew member and/or guest entertainer can lead up to a captain's hearing board (basically a captain's mast with all shipboard upper management, the HR manager and the SECO present in the room) and, based on the outcome of that hearing, potential termination of contract and a one-way trip home for the crew/entertainer(s) involved  

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The cabana attendants are bar waiters, so, yes, they are part of the 18% tip pool, not the HSC grat pool.

The cabana attendants are assigned to the ship's Beverage Dept., confirmed! Their supervisor is the head deck steward while the Beverage Dept. is headed by the beverage manager

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Security does not get involved in a guest/occupant of the cabana area bringing in a speaker to start blaring music, unless the situation gets out of hand. Initial response to the situation described would be of the supervisor of the cabana attendants, going up to the dept. head.

I have not seen a post describing the behavior of allegedly inebriated entertainers inside a hot tub (perhaps you can point me in the correct direction), but that would involve security, as well as the entertainment director and, if proven to be ETOH, there would be consequences for those individuals. Being intoxicated as a crew member and/or guest entertainer can lead up to a captain's hearing board (basically a captain's mast with all shipboard upper management, the HR manager and the SECO present in the room) and, based on the outcome of that hearing, potential termination of contract and a one-way trip home for the crew/entertainer(s) involved  

Thanks for this info, detailed! The post I am referring to is noted above in post  #76. Original #46 of this thread.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, AV8rix said:

Here’s something that happened on the recent 150th anniversary cruise on Rotterdam.

One evening I went to the NY Pizza and Deli for supper.  For those unfamiliar with Pinnacle-class ships that venue is on the upper deck of the open two-deck Lido pool area.

About 10-12 drunk and VERY noisy young contract entertainers had commandeered one of the hot tubs -- and the surrounding area.  Not bothering me particularly but I observed most guests getting out of the pool, toweling off, and leaving the area.  I also observed an officer approaching and speaking to the drunk bunch.  Since I was on the deck above I couldn’t hear what he was saying but I surmise that he was asking them to quiet down or leave the area or something. However, their behavior did not change after the officer left.  Again, wasn’t bothering me much as I was somewhat removed and only having something to eat – not attempting to enjoy the pool area.  Point is, there was no attempt (by Security or other department) to actually remedy the situation.  They were still at it when I finished my meal and left.

Guest/contract entertainers onboard HAL, and that includes the BB King's All-Star and the rock band on the Pinnacle class ships, but not the Billboard Onboard musicians.) enjoy a somewhat different status as compared to regular crew. They enjoy both guest and crew privileges, in other words, the best of two worlds. In a nutshell, they are allowed to be in the hot tubs in the pool area, something a regular crew member can not do. Having said that, being intoxicated, even for guest and/or contract entertainers, is not allowed onboard HAL ships. Don't know who/which ship's department the officer you described conversing with this "happy" group was and if he formed the opinion that they were in fact inebriated or just loud. Looks like, again as you describe, he gave them a warning to calm it down.

If that warning was ignored s you describe, there should have been a second visit, with or without security present, which would have been at the discretion of that officer, and the happy group would have been told to get the heck out of dodge, e.g. said sitz bath, poste haste, and make themselves scarce! The officer should have made a report of the situation/behavior which would have made it to the head of the entertainment dept., the hotel general manager, the staff captain, and the captain.

If there were obvious signs and symptoms of being under the influence of adult beverages, there should have been follow up conducted, up and including having the happy group submit to a breathalyzer test (breathalyzer machines, similar to those used by law enforcement, are routinely carried on HAL ships and operated by security who will have received training in their use). Based on the outcome of those tests, there would have been additional consequences as a result of that group's juvenile behavior      

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

The OP also posted on a HAL Facebook page and never came back to say anything more.  It’s disappointing when people post like this without coming back to say if anything was actually done other than a refund.  

I would find it very annoying as well to be told a VIP gets to disturb all the others.  

I'm beginning to suspect this was all 'click bait.'  I'm not particularly pleased with being misinformed....🤬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Guest/contract entertainers onboard HAL, and that includes the BB King's All-Star and the rock band on the Pinnacle class ships, but not the Billboard Onboard musicians.) enjoy a somewhat different status as compared to regular crew. They enjoy both guest and crew privileges, in other words, the best of two worlds. In a nutshell, they are allowed to be in the hot tubs in the pool area, something a regular crew member can not do. Having said that, being intoxicated, even for guest and/or contract entertainers, is not allowed onboard HAL ships. Don't know who/which ship's department the officer you described conversing with this "happy" group was and if he formed the opinion that they were in fact inebriated or just loud. Looks like, again as you describe, he gave them a warning to calm it down.

If that warning was ignored s you describe, there should have been a second visit, with or without security present, which would have been at the discretion of that officer, and the happy group would have been told to get the heck out of dodge, e.g. said sitz bath, poste haste, and make themselves scarce! The officer should have made a report of the situation/behavior which would have made it to the head of the entertainment dept., the hotel general manager, the staff captain, and the captain.

If there were obvious signs and symptoms of being under the influence of adult beverages, there should have been follow up conducted, up and including having the happy group submit to a breathalyzer test (breathalyzer machines, similar to those used by law enforcement, are routinely carried on HAL ships and operated by security who will have received training in their use). Based on the outcome of those tests, there would have been additional consequences as a result of that group's juvenile behavior      

Excellent write-up, very informative. Thanks!

Out of curiosity: what about Billboard On Board entertainers? And also, Lincoln Centre ones?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I’m not sure.  He’s been a member here for a long time.  Who knows though 🤷‍♀️

Understood, but It's pretty rude to get people riled up and then leave them hanging no matter how long you're on CC.  It's one thing to post on an existing thread and it's another to start a thread accusing the line of some malfeasance and then just let it drop.  It certainly affects the OP's credibility and whether or not it's worth reading the OP's posts in the future...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Excellent write-up, very informative. Thanks!

Out of curiosity: what about Billboard On Board entertainers? And also, Lincoln Centre ones?

Those entertainers are considered "regular" crew, so no guest privileges

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 5:34 AM, Don Kehote said:

So the refund was processed quickly as OBC when we went down to guest services immediately after that.  We have a meeting request in with the food and beverage manager tomorrow afternoon to discuss our problems with this,

That sounds like a work day to me; therefore it's a company service fail. I'll read further, but hope they simply refunded you to your original method of purchase.