Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

Just got off latest travel agent only Princess Webinar.  I pre-submitted questions about the Sun's start of service and dining reservations.  Those were ignored. 

During the webinar, in the "Chat" area, I asked if the Sun is on schedule to begin sailing on February 8th.  Here was their reply:

image.png.91a9e5035df033ccdb1eae8239c7402a.png

so that is good news.  At two different times I also put in a request asking for someone to give a thorough explanation about the differences between the 3 levels of the main dining room on the Sun, and when we could expect to be able to start making dining reservations.  Both of those question/posts when ignored.  Princess seems to have a habit of just ignoring things they don't want to talk about...hoping the questioner would just go away.

Aaron Janis, MCC

• Thanks 2

I haven't followed this topic on the dining that closely, so I might have missed some info...

Princess is promoting this new three story dining area as having different style/experience.  Right?

So, could I be correct in thinking that handling reservations with these options is the main factor that is holding up dining reservations on the Sun Princess?

It does not look like these dining reservations will get working before those on the first cruise/cruises.

I am very interested to hear about dining in this new three story huge dining room!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I haven't followed this topic on the dining that closely, so I might have missed some info...

Princess is promoting this new three story dining area as having different style/experience.  Right?

So, could I be correct in thinking that handling reservations with these options is the main factor that is holding up dining reservations on the Sun Princess?

It does not look like these dining reservations will get working before those on the first cruise/cruises.

I am very interested to hear about dining in this new three story huge dining room!

“My understanding” there is only one MDR located on 3 levels. So, when you reserved a time you could be located at any one level (I think). I don’t think you have a choice of levels.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vividharp said:

I’m very intrigued how Princess is keeping very quiet about the Sun’s details when she’s less than a month away. 

Stay tune. 4 weeks today they sail. I also heard there will be a VIP sail in 3 weeks.  If there is a delay, they will announce it within 2 weeks.  Trusting I’m wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DHP..  Yes, there is on large three level MDR.   But, do not think it is that simple...

HERE:  from the main page for the Sun Princess on the Princess website.

A. DIFFERENT  EXPERIENCE. FOR EACH LEVEL

Horizons Dining Room

We know you love great food, so we’ve elevated our dining – three decks high.

When it came to our main dining room, we dreamed big...or should we say "tall"? Three stories, an elegant design, multicourse meals guests rave about and a different experience for each level.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

DHP..  Yes, there is on large three level MDR.   But, do not think it is that simple...

Horizons Dining Room

When it came to our main dining room, we dreamed big...or should we say "tall"? Three stories, an elegant design, multicourse meals guests rave about and a different experience for each level.

I still think they all offer the same food and the difference is the level of dress you want to do, and if you want a fixed dining time or to come and go as you wish (reserve when you get onboard).  Of course, this is just my guess.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

That is what I am thinking as well....  Same menu, at least for the most part...

But the 'experience', dress code,  average time for a full dinner service....

It would be nice to have different menus at different levels however, that wont happen.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Horizons Dining Room

We'll know in 4 weeks.  This Topic will go wild..  lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

We'll know in 4 weeks.  This Topic will go wild..  lol

There is a reason I booked for Jan of 25, a good 10 months of reviews, you tube videos, etc.  I should be set.  :)  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

There is a reason I booked for Jan of 25, a good 10 months of reviews, you tube videos, etc.  I should be set.  🙂

Were on the Sun for August 2024 and November 2025   So I'm in no rush in knowing all about the Sun however, I am getting excited of knowing what I got myself in to.  Plus, I cant wait to use this flawless new App that everyone is talking about.  LOL

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, DHP1 said:

Were on the Sun for August 2024 and November 2025   So I'm in no rush in knowing all about the Sun however, I am getting excited of what I got myself in to.  Plus, I cant wait to use this flawless new App that everyone is talking about.  LOL

For me it's a learning thing, I went on one disappointing Princess cruise in 2007.  This is the redemption story.  I am a haven person that goes on NCL all the time.  i want to see how the new Signature Suites will compare.  I figured waiting a year would give me time to research what I can and can't do compered to what I am used to getting in my usual sailings.  :)  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

For me it's a learning thing, I went on one disappointing Princess cruise in 2007.  This is the redemption story.  I am a haven person that goes on NCL all the time.  i want to see how the new Signature Suites will compare.  I figured waiting a year would give me time to research what I can and can't do compered to what I am used to getting in my usual sailings.  🙂

I got to much invested in Princess Cruise Line for me to try another cruise line.  I'm sure everything will be fine.  Just got to get used to the new design which I currently don't like so much.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

For me it's a learning thing, I went on one disappointing Princess cruise in 2007.  This is the redemption story.  I am a haven person that goes on NCL all the time.  i want to see how the new Signature Suites will compare.  I figured waiting a year would give me time to research what I can and can't do compered to what I am used to getting in my usual sailings.  🙂

good decision on your part ,as crew joining/reporting to the Sun have stated that it will be at least six months before they start to get the flow of operations running smoothly.  I'm optimistic that  sphere class being a bold new adventure and it will be met with success. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Were on the Sun for August 2024 and November 2025   So I'm in no rush in knowing all about the Sun however, I am getting excited of knowing what I got myself in to.  Plus, I cant wait to use this flawless new App that everyone is talking about.  LOL

This August for us too, so I'm in no rush either.

I'm pretty sure the initial reviews will be mostly negative. New ship classes seem to attract "die-hards" on inaugural cruises who are unable to accept change. 

• Like 3

3 days sea trials - and then, final push.

The opening Cruise Directors and assistants  have joined - and we should start seeing posts about venues and such once they're back to land.

Corinne and Dan are both posting frequently on the IG accounts.... 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

3 days sea trials - and then, final push.

The opening Cruise Directors and assistants  have joined - and we should start seeing posts about venues and such once they're back to land.

Corinne and Dan are both posting frequently on the IG accounts.... 

Can you list those IG accounts? I'm on the Feb18 sailing (2nd) and I'd like to follow - thanks!

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 4:34 PM, UKWildcatCruiser said:

Can you list those IG accounts? I'm on the Feb18 sailing (2nd) and I'd like to follow - thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/danfromtheship?igsh=eGJoZ3U5ZWp6Z2dp

https://www.instagram.com/cruisedirectorcorinne?igsh=MWJqNWd3YjMwM3Nmdw==

And so forth. You can find several of the others from the above accounts.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dides said:

They are really putting her through her paces on the Sea Trials

This video doesn't show even half of it!

Not only that but the officers and crew are getting lots of experience in handling this new class of ship. Probably lots of shipyard designers and class society staff on board as well so they can compare the performance predictions against actual performance. A good opportunity to update their performance modeling software and the operations manuals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dides said:

They are really putting her through her paces on the Sea Trials

image.png.68f78779e4bc032127158b5e478490e5.png

This video doesn't show even half of it!

I see Melnichenko, got a photo op.😁

• Like 1