Greenland/Iceland or Canada/Maine

MickeyG

My wife and I are planning a cruise for 2024. We are thinking about a September Maine/Canada 11-night cruise roundtrip from Boston, or an August Greenland/Iceland 12-night cruise from NYC and return from Reykjavik, Iceland. Both cruises are on Celebrity Eclipse. Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from folks who may have cruised to one or both of these destinations. Many thanks in advance. 🙂

Agree with CruiserBruce...as always, reliable and accurate.

Also been to both. Happy to share a few photos (again)...Prinz Christen Sund, Greenland...photo credits to my wonderful wife, taken from our balcony...

20220914_072235.jpg

20220914_071659.jpg

20220914_094659.jpg

20220914_104152.jpg

20220914_093942.jpg

20220914_104309.jpg

20220914_104435.jpg

20220914_104010.jpg

20220914_101558.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Bruce. Wonderful pics of Prinz Christen Sund, bonsai. 

The ports will be - Halifax NS, St. John's Newfoundland, Qaqortoq, Greenland, Prinz Christen Sund, and  Akureyri, Isafjordur, Reykjavic Iceland.

• Like 1

We've been to Iceland and were underwhelmed; not ever been to Greenland.  Iceland seemed like miles of flat 'tundra' ... but we're not outdoorsy people and that might be a major draw.  All the beautiful glacier stuff we saw x12 in Norway.  We just did Quebec to Boston in late September, schedule all screwed up by a hurricane, and horrid weather.  We missed two ports and Halifax was completely fogged in.  As we walked down the gangplank it started to POUR.  But it was our first decent trip since the virus hysteria, so we didn't even care.  I'd like to do that itinerary all over again, the ports sound wonderful ... and I'd like to see Halifax!  I'd pick the smallest ship I could find to experience some of the little ports.

Edited by jsn55
thought
  • Like 1

Been to Iceland twice.  Enthralled by plate tectonics, geology.  Walking down the mid-Atlantic ridge at Thingviller.  First time was a land tour on Oct. 2003.  Way after tourist season, cold and no crowds.  Second time was august 2008 on QE2.  Would love to go again.  EM

• Like 2

if you are going to go to Greenland/Iceland, try to time it for the Northern Lights.  August might still be too bright to see them.  I hear you have a better chance after Sept.  Boston is always  nice to tour, so much US history.  fall colors won't be happening until late Oct.  Be prepared for rain in upper Canada ( Especially New Foundland, I have never been there when it was not raining).  Just Google best time to see Northern Lights n Greenland/Iceland, or NorthEast USA.  Both cruises sound wonderful.

54 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

if you are going to go to Greenland/Iceland, try to time it for the Northern Lights.  August might still be too bright to see them.  I hear you have a better chance after Sept.

All cruises that call in Greenland sail between late May and mid-September only. Otherwise there is too much bad weather and potential for ice in the water. The majority sail in July and August. The latest departure I see is September 19, and that is on an expensive expedition-style ship.

If the Northern lights are a priority, probably better to plan a land trip.

• Thanks 1