What do you think of this Eastern Caribbean Itinerary?

We are thinking of doing Disney World followed by a 6 night Spring Break cruise in 2024 with our 5 and 7 year olds on Adventure of the Seas that will go to:

Labadee

CocoCay 

Puerto Plata 

Will these places just feel too crowded?

The price for the cruise is very good and I like that you don't really need to book any excursions, since there are free beaches/pools/kiddie water parks at these locations. However, not sure if it will be as beautiful as your traditional Easter Caribbean/Southern Caribbean Ports we could do instead like San Juan. St. Thomas, Tortola, Aruba etc. The only thing is at these ports we will need to pay for excursions for family of 4 each time which adds up. We like to do anything on the water. Thanks for any input! 

Private islands are not exciting itineraries but they are great to cut cost.  No cab or excursions needed and foods included.  Puerto Playa even has a free pool in Port like Costa Maya.  No worries about car seats if kids are little. When our kids were little they only wanted to be in the water on vacation.  

We were just in all 3 of those ports in the past 2 weeks.  It was a great getaway.

• Like 3

Meh. Those beaches are just ok (haven't been to Labadee). I think you should consider paying for the water park on Cococay with kids that age. They're going to have to walk by it in order to get to the free pool and free beaches and they'll likely be disappointed if they can't go in, since every other day of your trip is going to basically be a pool and beach day already. Just my 2 cents. Not the most fun itinerary.

Also, the water in Cococay had jellyfish and lots of seaweed in it when we were there 3 weeks ago. It's nice beach to relax at when you're an adult. Not much fun for kids.

Eh, not the most exciting itinerary.  While we do love the beach/free pool, we like to mix it up.  Yes it’s cheaper because you don’t need to pay for shore excursions, I’d find something that did one of those islands and something else that has more to do, jmo.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mets123 said:

Just stay away from the market place at Labradee. The vendors are Very aggressive

True, but we did buy a painting we still like.

On 12/18/2022 at 3:00 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty sure thr ship and private islands will feel a whole lot less crowded than Disney. 

I have been on Adventure of the Seas and it was extremely crowed.  Especially the pool area.

On 12/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, CanadianCruiseCritic said:

The only thing is at these ports we will need to pay for excursions for family of 4 each time

you do know that you don't HAVE or NEED to buy excursions for 4 every time.

On 12/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, CanadianCruiseCritic said:

Labadee

CocoCay 

Puerto Plata 

We would love this itinerary.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Also, the water in Cococay had jellyfish and lots of seaweed in it when we were there 3 weeks ago. It's nice beach to relax at when you're an adult. Not much fun for kids.

I completely disagree. We were there last November and LOVED it. Our 10 yo loved it. 

And we also fed fish with hot dog buns from the buffet and it was so much fun! 

My parents snorkeled with our kid - also fun.

The other kids played basketball right off of the beach.

The food was great at the Snack Shack - and the funnel cake is wonderful!

Breezy bay part of the Chill island.

image.thumb.jpeg.246499885a63a041f49c6a212736abe6.jpeg

and no seaweed. But it was a colder day with cold water.

image.thumb.jpeg.571fb12aa1b6cf2653358b1471161ef0.jpeg

We had two ships in port that day - Indy and Harmony, and it was still great.

Mine hates water park.

21 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I think you should consider paying for the water park on Cococay with kids that age.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

On 12/18/2022 at 4:43 PM, mets123 said:

Just stay away from the market place at Labradee. The vendors are Very aggressive

Agreed my DD is pretty placid and even she told them to back off or they would lose any potential business and moved on to the next vendor. After 3 vendors were told and she was getting very infuriated the 4th one finally got the hint and stepped out to let her browse without interference and she bought something. 

A polite “no thanks” didn’t get across to them to let her browse so in the end she just told them straight to back off. 

Thanks everyone! As many noted I am thinking this itinerary won't be the most "exotic" but it will be easy to do with two little kids (no need to cab or have car seats!).  Odyssey of the Seas does this same itinerary, but out of Fort Lauderdale. A bit of a pain as it is a longer drive to the port from Disney World, but Odyssey of the Seas looks nice and like there is more to do on board compared to Adventure of the Seas.

If we don't do either of those the other one we are considering is Carnival's Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral. It is 7 nights and goes to Nassau, Puerto Plata and Grand Turks. Again not the greatest itinerary, but in Nassau I think the kids would like the excursion to Blue Lagoon, Puerto Plata has a free pool and Grand Turks either has a free pool or we would pay to do a catamaran excursion. It is $2000 more though once you add in the cost of excursions.

Thanks for any more insights! 

22 minutes ago, CanadianCruiseCritic said:

Thanks everyone! As many noted I am thinking this itinerary won't be the most "exotic" but it will be easy to do with two little kids (no need to cab or have car seats!).  Odyssey of the Seas does this same itinerary, but out of Fort Lauderdale. A bit of a pain as it is a longer drive to the port from Disney World, but Odyssey of the Seas looks nice and like there is more to do on board compared to Adventure of the Seas.

If we don't do either of those the other one we are considering is Carnival's Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral. It is 7 nights and goes to Nassau, Puerto Plata and Grand Turks. Again not the greatest itinerary, but in Nassau I think the kids would like the excursion to Blue Lagoon, Puerto Plata has a free pool and Grand Turks either has a free pool or we would pay to do a catamaran excursion. It is $2000 more though once you add in the cost of excursions.

Thanks for any more insights! 

Having sailed 4 times this year with our kids 12,11 & 4 the itinerary is great for budgets! I would do Odyssey as it is newer and has a good mix of everything for all age groups. Enjoy coco cay as there's lot's to do for free. 4 times there this year and still haven't done everything.  Waterpark is overpriced IMO. Haven't been to Labadee yet but the DR has a wonderful pool area in the port that is also free. Odyssey gets my vote!

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 2:48 PM, smokeybandit said:

It's definitely an itinerary for beach lovers.

Yes.  Personally, I love one beach day on a cruise, but I wouldn't want multiples.  Your mileage may vary. 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:48 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

It's nice beach to relax at when you're an adult. Not much fun for kids.

Disagree.  I was at Coco Cay two weeks ago, and I saw a bunch of kids who seemed to be having a blast. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 4:43 PM, mets123 said:

That marketplace is a eye opening experience for less traveled closed minded among us.

THe main building sells mainly made in china stuff.

This marketplace has authentic local stuff.

Regarding their "style" of doing business is what is commonly practised in the vast majority of the world. If these people sound bit aggressive, please do remember that Haiti is the poorest country in the world and each sale in the marketplace feeds many mouths. I bargain hard and then pay significantly more than agreed upon price.

We, in America, try to sell everything from cars to refrigerators using half naked female models and that we do not find aggressive or disgusting but a hard working desperate man pushing his own locally made products bit persuasively, we find it "very aggressive".

They blocked you from physically walking away? No, they did not. They just keep repeating their sales pitch. You could have walked away.

Why kick their stomach by scaring others in boycotting them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

That marketplace is a eye opening experience for less traveled closed minded among us.

THe main building sells mainly made in china stuff.

This marketplace has authentic local stuff.

Regarding their "style" of doing business is what is commonly practised in the vast majority of the world. If these people sound bit aggressive, please do remember that Haiti is the poorest country in the world and each sale in the marketplace feeds many mouths. I bargain hard and then pay significantly more than agreed upon price.

We, in America, try to sell everything from cars to refrigerators using half naked female models and that we do not find aggressive or disgusting but a hard working desperate man pushing his own locally made products bit persuasively, we find it "very aggressive".

They blocked you from physically walking away? No, they did not. They just keep repeating their sales pitch. You could have walked away.

Why kick their stomach by scaring others in boycotting them?

You're entitled to your opinion. And I am too. But I didn't mention American advertising, you did. But you did agree they are aggressive. And yes, they have tried to block me in at times.

1 minute ago, mets123 said:

You're entitled to your opinion. And I am too. But I didn't mention American advertising, you did. But you did agree they are aggressive. And yes, they have tried to block me in at times.

Asking you to give him an opportunity to repeat his sales pitch umpteeth time is irritating but totally in your control.

There is no way a haitian local in that particular marketplace with so many plain cloth security guys observing can ever block a cruise pax.  Consequences for him from both those security guys and fellow vendors will be too severe.

Unless your definition of "blocking" is different, it is impossible that it happened in that particular marketplace to ANY cruise pax. Apparently, you do not have much experience on how a "market" operates in 90% of the world. You need to stick to "stores" selling made in china stuff.

2 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Asking you to give him an opportunity to repeat his sales pitch umpteeth time is irritating but totally in your control.

There is no way a haitian local in that particular marketplace with so many plain cloth security guys observing can ever block a cruise pax.  Consequences for him from both those security guys and fellow vendors will be too severe.

Unless your definition of "blocking" is different, it is impossible that it happened in that particular marketplace to ANY cruise pax. Apparently, you do not have much experience on how a "market" operates in 90% of the world. You need to stick to "stores" selling made in china stuff.

I agree, I haven't been to 90% of the world. Have you????????

Just now, mets123 said:

I agree, I haven't been to 90% of the world. Have you????????

You do not need to travel to 90% of the world to know how "market" like this operate in 90% of the world!!

Look, no one is forcing you to such "markets". You can stick to made in china selling "stores".

But do not scare people away from these shops as it may be their only chance to come remotely close to such "market" experience.