Maine Lobster Tail-Dining

cruisekitty22

56 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Maine lobsters are the best by a long shot.  Go to Maine and get them right off of the boat.

The ahem cruise lobsters fall way short.

While I do like the Murano lobster it does not come close to a Maine lobster.

But…. We were in Murano on the Equinox… not Maine!

15DD404F-3B5E-4330-B706-42BF20A4EB7F.jpeg

3B7C8946-BF50-4A47-B40E-EC7F697F6AE9.jpeg

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, chengkp75 said:

The real reason that there is little to no taste difference between the rock lobster tails and the Maine lobster tails served on ships is that they are both frozen.  Even when they serve a whole Maine lobster, it will generally be frozen.  Ships don't have live tanks to keep lobsters alive until cooking.

I saw a TV show that said ALL fish and seafood served on a cruise ship is frozen! Something to do with killing a deadly parasite.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

I saw a TV show that said ALL fish and seafood served on a cruise ship is frozen! Something to do with killing a deadly parasite.

Not just fish and seafood, but all proteins brought on the ship are frozen.  For seafood, even fish that is supposed to be "fresh" for raw consumption like sushi, has to be flash frozen to kill parasites and then defrosted.  Fish parasites are roundworms, flatworms, and tape worms.  None of which are "deadly", but can cause serious illness.   The only exceptions are live, in-shell clams, mussels, and oysters, but these have a limited shelf life, so are not common.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 3

On 12/31/2022 at 12:51 AM, DaKahuna said:

I respectfully disagree, Snow Crab and King Crab in Alaska are better. 

Most items served with hot butter taste very good.  

As a result of this board, I had North Atlantic lobster for dinner.  Steamed  lobster with melted butter. Delicious....

15 hours ago, keesar said:

Most items served with hot butter taste very good.  

As a result of this board, I had North Atlantic lobster for dinner.  Steamed  lobster with melted butter. Delicious....

Explains the popularity of escargot on board too.  Move those little rubbering this to the side and dip your bread in the garlic butter!

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 5:41 AM, Guindalf said:

I have done multiple behind the scene tours and they always say something along the lines of "all food comes aboard frozen"...There may be some expectations to that such as produce but yes, all meats are come on frozen and some will immediately be thawed

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Explains the popularity of escargot on board too.  Move those little rubbering this to the side and dip your bread in the garlic butter!

Yup. Escargot is merely a rubbery delivery mechanism for garlic butter, in my eyes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They’re now putting a sauce on the MDR tails, this was on the Solstice; no mention in the menu description, seems to be based on their steak Diane sauce but spicier

317BDDA8-4250-43AF-947F-24A8128B7209.jpeg

We saw that sauce being served in Blu for the tails and  then requested melted butter on the side.  

On the Solstice in Alaska, they brought aboard fresh seafood in Juneau.  If I recall, salmon, halibut and Pacific cod.  

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

We saw that sauce being served in Blu for the tails and  then requested melted butter on the side.  

On the Solstice in Alaska, they brought aboard fresh seafood in Juneau.  If I recall, salmon, halibut and Pacific cod.  

FYI, it was served with a side of butter.  How did they communicate the fresh seafood, the waitstaff simply mentioned this?  Also when was this sailing?

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They’re now putting a sauce on the MDR tails, this was on the Solstice; no mention in the menu description, seems to be based on their steak Diane sauce but spicier

Yuck! On our September Summit cruise the lobster in the MDR was served without a sauce. We'll be requesting no sauce on our lobster if this is fleetwide thing in the MDR. Apex is our next cruise.

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

FYI, it was served with a side of butter.  How did they communicate the fresh seafood, the waitstaff simply mentioned this?  Also when was this sailing?

The Captain announced that fresh seafood would be picked up at an upcoming port.  Besides the fish, there were King Crab Legs.  There was a seafood night in the Oceanview Cafe where you could order grilled fish to order.  August trip.