Kettle in cabin on Majestic Princess NZ and Australia cruises?

Izzywiz

•  

We are sailing on Majestic Princess from Auckland on Jan 29th and I have my fingers crossed that we will have a kettle on our cabin. We love our early morning cuppa made with our favourite tea bags and fresh boiling water. I would be grateful if someone could let me know one way or another. I know that cabins have kettles on sailings out of UK and Japanese ports so it would be wonderful to have one on this sailing!!!!!

Kettles are not provided in cabins on any Princess ships sailing out of Australian or NZ ports. However try asking for one, you might be lucky. I have heard of it happening once or twice in the past.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I took a 1 litre THERMOS flask last time.

Fill up with hot water from the buffet, and in the morning it was still hot enough for a nice cuppa.

(All the other bits an pieces you can also get from the buffet. Our steward got the idea after day 2 and had cups, milk capsules etc set up for us!)

I originally took the thermos to take cold water on tours, but then it became also our samovar  

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I will be asking for a kettle when I get on board. I did this on a Celebrity cruise in South America and was provided with one so maybe I’ll be lucky.

I never find the water brought by room service to be hot enough for a good cuppa and we both have some mobility issues which makes it more difficult to bring items from the buffet or international cafe to the cabin.

Looking forward to our visit to your beautiful countries.

• Like 1

I don't get out of bed when cruising without my cuppa coffee.  We just call room service and viola in less than 10 minutes there's knock at the door.  If I'm feeling really indulgent I request a couple of croissants with butter and jam as well.  Makes you wonder how I manage to put on so much weight when cruising.

This has always been a free service on Princess pre-COVID.  

3 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I will be asking for a kettle when I get on board. I did this on a Celebrity cruise in South America and was provided with one so maybe I’ll be lucky.

I never find the water brought by room service to be hot enough for a good cuppa and we both have some mobility issues which makes it more difficult to bring items from the buffet or international cafe to the cabin.

Looking forward to our visit to your beautiful countries.

i have a good quality small thermos with lid which keeps water hot and no spills.  i also have a large glass ? with a lid which i fill with ice and water, so no spills  This helps keep the fridge cold!

I wanted a kettle to make myself breakfast coffee on my recent Princess cruise. I asked the steward and he said it wasn't possible, but I could order hot water in an insulated jug.  I did that most mornings (you have to write it in on the room service breakfast menu, because there is no provision for it) and it was hot enough for plunger coffee, but would not have been hot enough for proper tea.

Come to think if it, I must pack some if my favourite tea bags for my cruise next week.

As nice as the posh brand Tea Forté that they serve on my ship is, I like a few cups of my bogan Twinings EBT....

And the buffet/after dinner dining room tea is 🤮 American "tea" in most cases anyway.

🙂

16 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

We are sailing on Majestic Princess from Auckland on Jan 29th and I have my fingers crossed that we will have a kettle on our cabin. We love our early morning cuppa made with our favourite tea bags and fresh boiling water. I would be grateful if someone could let me know one way or another. I know that cabins have kettles on sailings out of UK and Japanese ports so it would be wonderful to have one on this sailing!!!!!

As mentioned, none will be available for Princess down here, and for much of the world. For Princess, kettles in cabins is something the do for UK cruises, but very few others.

No harm in asking though. Good luck.

22 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

Hi from a Black country boy. ( An area of Staffordshire)

We asked and got a kettle on both the Coral and the Grand princess earlier this year. The Stewart on the Grand had to ask his Supervisor, but we got one still in the box and with the promise to return personally to him at the end off the cruise. So they are there, but you have to ask.

•  

Edited by Ozy71
More Detail

On 12/28/2022 at 7:16 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Kettles are not provided in cabins on any Princess ships sailing out of Australian or NZ ports. However try asking for one, you might be lucky. I have heard of it happening once or twice in the past.

Just a fortnight ago we requested and received a kettle on Coral Princess from our room attendant. It's the first thing we do when we arrive at the cabin. Not always available on other lines but Princess are pretty good. We take our own coffee and tea and bring down a glass of milk the night before from the buffet which we keep sitting in a separate glass of ice in the cooler. I can't drink the coffee in cruise ship dining rooms.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Come to think if it, I must pack some if my favourite tea bags for my cruise next week.

As nice as the posh brand Tea Forté that they serve on my ship is, I like a few cups of my bogan Twinings EBT....

And the buffet/after dinner dining room tea is 🤮 American "tea" in most cases anyway.

🙂

What on earth is 'American tea'?

I'd need a dedicated steward if I had to get room service every time I wanted a cup of tea on board a ship! A kettle is an absolute must-have for me.

5 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'd need a dedicated steward if I had to get room service every time I wanted a cup of tea on board a ship! A kettle is an absolute must-have for me.

Carnival's Luminosa uses Lipton tea.  I use Dilmar Earl Grey.  I have no idea what American tea is.  But I know my NY girlfriend went to a lot of trouble to track down Dilmar Earl Grey tea in NY..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Anything BLENDED for the US market. Tazo, Bigelow, even the US versions of Lipton and such household names.

The exception is Tea Forté,  which has some quite lovely blends (Not to mention their "sexy" presentation).

A - for example- Twinings EBT is very different in the UK, Australia, Germany, Asia....

The packet looks the same,  but what's in the bag varies according to local tastes.

At a hospitality trade fair, a VERY senior person from Twinings confirmed this to me personally. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Anything BLENDED for the US market. Tazo, Bigelow, even the US versions of Lipton and such household names.

The exception is Tea Forté,  which has some quite lovely blends (Not to mention their "sexy" presentation).

A - for example- Twinings EBT is very different in the UK, Australia, Germany, Asia....

The packet looks the same,  but what's in the bag varies according to local tastes.

At a hospitality trade fair, a VERY senior person from Twinings confirmed this to me personally. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Surprised they do this with tea (vary for local market) but I do know they do that with soft drinks and chocolate bars and biscuits.

I thought you might have meant that they were trying to pass off that awful powdered tea product on ships as real tea!

Personally I reckon there's nothing like tea made in a pot with proper loose-leaf tea if you want a decent cuppa.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Had these on last couple of Luminosa cruises.

Gee, I miss not being able to get a decent cuppa when cruising☹️

F8CD81C6-9258-4BAE-9913-4E986A749C79.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Carnival's Luminosa uses Lipton tea.  I use Dilmar Earl Grey.  I have no idea what American tea is.  But I know my NY girlfriend went to a lot of trouble to track down Dilmar Earl Grey tea in NY..

I know I'm never going to get my favourite tea on a cruise ship. I use Dilmah Ceylon Supreme which I buy online direct from Dilmah. But I don't mind good English Breakfast as a substitute when travelling.

Unfortunately Westerdam keeps running out of English Breakfast and, like Princess and Carnival, has Lipton as the nearest substitute. 🙁

Just now, buchhalm said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

I originally drank Twinings tea.  But the Twinings tea available now is not the same quality.  

12 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Surprised they do this with tea (vary for local market) but I do know they do that with soft drinks and chocolate bars and biscuits.

I thought you might have meant that they were trying to pass off that awful powdered tea product on ships as real tea!

Personally I reckon there's nothing like tea made in a pot with proper loose-leaf tea if you want a decent cuppa.

Yes I use loose leaf tea at home, but take tea bags on the cruise. 

22 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

Just a fortnight ago we requested and received a kettle on Coral Princess from our room attendant. It's the first thing we do when we arrive at the cabin. Not always available on other lines but Princess are pretty good. We take our own coffee and tea and bring down a glass of milk the night before from the buffet which we keep sitting in a separate glass of ice in the cooler. I can't drink the coffee in cruise ship dining rooms.

Yes, we were also successful on Coral Princess during recent around Australia cruise. When my wife got Covid, I phoned guest services for a kettle. At first she said that they were not allowed and anyway there were none onboard; to which I replied that someone else had requested and received a kettle. Shortly afterwards a kettle was delivered to our cabin!

Brian

19 minutes ago, bvm49 said:

Yes, we were also successful on Coral Princess during recent around Australia cruise. When my wife got Covid, I phoned guest services for a kettle. At first she said that they were not allowed and anyway there were none onboard; to which I replied that someone else had requested and received a kettle. Shortly afterwards a kettle was delivered to our cabin!

Brian

Good on you for pressing the point.

Given they (Princess) provide kettles to all cabins on all their UK based cruises, I don't think for a second that they would remove all the kettles and store them on land while they're not carrying UK passengers! If they can provide them to that market, they can provide them to the Australia/NZ market.

Thanks again for all the information. You have given me hope that, with a bit of perseverance, we may get my beloved kettle. Favourite tea bags, coffee, spoon and mugs ready for packing, no need for milk and sugar as we drink both black and unsweetened.

We are getting excited for our trip ‘down-under’…..it’s been a long time coming!

• Like 3