Turn Down to be reduced to once a day 2023!

ulster-cruiser

20 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Meanwhile, us apologists continue to book what is sufficient to us, and we enjoy ourselves. Our whole lives, we watch people who always need to find something to be mad about. We chuckle and shrug at your constant outrage. I could list 20 ways this environment has negatively impacted me. A second set of towels every day isn't even a thought in my mind.

And us non-apologists who are not passive to negative change, will continue to advocate for the consumer to try and make things better for everyone, because we actually care and don't just skate through life.  We also chuckle and shrug at your passive behavior but continue to enjoy life even while trying to evoke positive change  I have cruise #141 just around the corner and many more to follow.  I enjoy them all as I do life in general, but yes I do actually care about things.  All the best for 2023!  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Only issue I would ever have is sailing with more than 2 in a cabin and utilizing a pullout couch. Luckily we are sailing on the escape in December but we are staying in the forward facing haven with our daughter and her friend, so they will still close up the bed every day, but honestly, I could do it myself lol

On 12/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, ziggyuk said:

I can see this resulting in even more rubbish being dumped in the hallways.

I can too and that will be a problem for those in scooters and wheel chairs.  It already is hard to get down the hallways when the attendants leave their carts out there and others leave their room service trays/plates/glasses, etc...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newbe dave said:

Do these people have the same level of vocal disappointment for the hotel industry that does not service rooms daily in most cases?

I’m curious, which hotels don’t service rooms daily? We travel regularly and even during the Pandemic, we have always had our room serviced on a daily basis.

16 minutes ago, MazzyKn said:

I’m curious, which hotels don’t service rooms daily? We travel regularly and even during the Pandemic, we have always had our room serviced on a daily basis.

I have recently stayed at both Marriott (actually Bonvoy) and Holiday Inn company flagged hotels in the US and Scotland that only service rooms every 2 or 3 days. So if you stay for 2 nights, you do not get any housekeeping service. I cannot remember a hotel stay in 2022 where we got the normal, daily service. 

You can get towels if you ask at the front desk. I assume the same would be true on NCL. I may find out later this month when I cruise on the Joy (not sure if it is changed yet).

I agree that this is a decrease in service at the same time as an increase is the fee (the NCL PR/Communications people should be fired). But I still find cruising a good value, all things considered. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, MazzyKn said:

I think it has become pretty standard among many 4-5 star hotels on the Las Vegas Strip only to provide daily housekeeping upon request. I follow a LV-oriented forum also and people have very similar gripes. It was another place that historically provided an inexpensive vacation but has become very expensive in recent years while dropping many perks that were widely appreciated such as unlimited free drinks, free valet parking, the $9.95 steak and lobster dinner, inexpensive buffets;  and cheap gambling and live musicians are nearly extinct. Meanwhile room rates, table bet minima, room rates, and resort fees have continued to escalate. 

I am not aware of any hotels that charge for housekeeping right now but I think I read that one hotel offered a discount for declining housekeeping service, which if you think about it is is a (more palatable?) way to charge for housekeeping. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it becomes a separate charge in the future. 

Edited by zzdoug
  • Like 4

Quick review for those who are just joining.

NCL increased the DSC by 25% starting 1/2023

NCL will cut back on cabin services for folks in steerage, starting next week on the Epic and finishing on the Pearl in March.

Some crew will get a raise while others will see a reduction.

On other NCL threads it has been noted on a reduction / elimination of entertainment ( Syd's as an example ) and finally the drink package changes ( Baileys Irish Cream is now a premium ) and the cost will go up an additional $10 ( $99 to $109 ) starting this month.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Did I miss anything?

Yes..Frequently missed ports, not weather-related, in the Caribbean.  

Everything you said is accurate (however they are currently casting for Syd’s for 6 ships).

Rebuttal:

-Daily housekeeping is nice…better than hotels.

-Finding and retaining good talent is difficult…so better wages and benefits are a must.

-Re-aligning your staffing structure and compensation packages to be more cost-efficient is smart business.  
-Costs on every commodity have risen post Covid, and availability and quality are not reliable.

-NCL (NCHL), as are other cruise lines, are trying their hardest to rebound. There was no bail-out for these companies.  Yes, it sucks…but I would rather pay now than not being able to cruise.

Bottom line:

We accept the “new NCL” or we move on.

When the industry stabilizes, the cruise lines will be scrambling to see which one can add back perks and benefits first.   You’ll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

When the industry stabilizes, the cruise lines will be scrambling to see which one can add back perks and benefits first.   You’ll see.

By the time the industry stabilizes we will have witnessed many more cost savings measures. Up-charging will be common practice. With the current debt load, it's inevitable. Pre-pandemic NCL was barely making enough to make current interest only payments on debt. It's all about how effectively they can kick that can down the road, but I don't see them bring back services anytime in the next decade or two.

• Like 3

Lately on the NCL forum - and most other forums there seems to be a plethora of threads  / posts about people who don’t need / want turndown service / towels / chocolates / room service / etc. etc. - all of the little things that made cruising special.

Perhaps the cruise industry is ready to re-visit the Easycruise concept of earlier in the decade. A bare bones fare - then additional costs for $$$$$. At the time, the concept failed quickly. However, now that nobody wants to subsidize the cost of a cruise for anyone for features that they don’t use -(  “as long as it keeps the cost down for me” has become the new mantra), the race to the bottom and the Easycruise approach may yet again raise its ugly head.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:07 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Yeah, Carnival started all this.  At first, they gave passengers the choice of morning or evening service - or both.  It seems that as time went on there was increasing pressure put on the stewards and passengers to choose one or the other.  After the restart, Carnival no longer offered twice daily service at all.  AFAIK, passengers there still have the choice to choose either evening or morning service.

I haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if someone else addressed this already. We were on Vista last month and only morning service was offered. No idea if it varies from ship to ship or even steward to steward. Our steward let us know on embarkation day that the cleaning service would be anytime between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm, depending on when we left our cabin. He was pretty good about getting everything done while we were at breakfast, including leaving a towel animal. He also told us that despite the 1:00 pm cutoff time, he'd be available if we needed anything else throughout the day. Our last two cruises before this on Breeze we were also only offered morning service but no specific time window was given to us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

Perhaps the cruise industry is ready to re-visit the Easycruise concept of earlier in the decade. A bare bones fare - then additional costs for $$$$$. At the time, the concept failed quickly. However, now that nobody wants to subsidize the cost of a cruise for anyone for features that they don’t use -(  “as long as it keeps the cost down for me” has become the new mantra), the race to the bottom and the Easycruise approach may yet again raise its ugly head.

I should put this in the "unpopular opinions" thread elsewhere, but I'm one of those rare birds that doesn't mind a la carte pricing - even on a cruise ship.  IIRC, Easycruise only sailed out of the UK and went away before I started cruising.  Ultra-budget airlines like Spirit and Frontier essentially use the a la carte model and they seem to be doing all right.  Note that I'm not endorsing such a pricing model for any new or existing cruise line, just that I think they're worth considering if they offer the right services for me at the right price.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, newbe dave said:

I have recently stayed at both Marriott (actually Bonvoy) and Holiday Inn company flagged hotels in the US and Scotland that only service rooms every 2 or 3 days. So if you stay for 2 nights, you do not get any housekeeping service. I cannot remember a hotel stay in 2022 where we got the normal, daily service. 

You can get towels if you ask at the front desk. I assume the same would be true on NCL. I may find out later this month when I cruise on the Joy (not sure if it is changed yet).

I agree that this is a decrease in service at the same time as an increase is the fee (the NCL PR/Communications people should be fired). But I still find cruising a good value, all things considered. 

We stayed in a local hotel this summer, while work was being done on our home.  There was no housekeeping services in our room, so we asked the front desk for a supply of fresh towels which they gave us to carry upstairs.  When our wastebaskets were full, we were told to put them in the hall, and someone will take care of it.  They did empty them.  We made our own bed, but we do that at home anyway.

Just now, Barb Nahoumi said:

We stayed in a local hotel this summer, while work was being done on our home.  There was no housekeeping services in our room, so we asked the front desk for a supply of fresh towels which they gave us to carry upstairs.  When our wastebaskets were full, we were told to put them in the hall, and someone will take care of it.  They did empty them.  We made our own bed, but we do that at home anyway.

I forgot to add that the free breakfasts and coffee were still included.

On 12/28/2022 at 6:27 PM, European_CruiseGirl said:

Increasing the daily service charge. And then informing within one month about reducing the services given to pax. Very business savvy move and great PR NCL - not. 

adjust the daily service charge, simple as that, or just not cruise. It went from 16 dollars to 20, adjust it to the original 16 that's what we intend on doing and offering extra tips to the people we think deserve it. This may not be a popular response to some but as Rhett Butler would say, Frankly my dear.....:-)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MazzyKn said:

Many hotels in the US West Coast service rooms only once every 3 days or so.  If you need fresh towels or extra soap on the 2nd day, you can call to get them delivered (or they will tell you to stop by the front desk and get the items). They claim it is for environmental polices (+ the continual drought) but I think it's mostly a staffing issue + they like the savings.  

This was trending pre-2020 but the lockdowns made it permanent at most places.

14 hours ago, Rudyard said:

He also told us that despite the 1:00 pm cutoff time, he'd be available if we needed anything else throughout the day.

As we all whine about the "race the bottom," this is a good note. They will literally do anything you want, anytime. If you want extra sets of towels, when they do the original turn down, later in the day, a zoo of towel animals, etc. they will do it. On top of already running through your room completely. We come back from breakfast or lunch and everything is done. I am confused as to how this vacation is no longer special if they don't do it again that same day.

43 minutes ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

Many hotels in the US West Coast service rooms only once every 3 days or so.  If you need fresh towels or extra soap on the 2nd day, you can call to get them delivered (or they will tell you to stop by the front desk and get the items). They claim it is for environmental polices (+ the continual drought) but I think it's mostly a staffing issue + they like the savings.  

This was trending pre-2020 but the lockdowns made it permanent at most places.

Even pre-pandemic, a lot of hotels didn't like doing to daily service.

Turn down is a nice service. It is unexpected in any other corner of non-vacation life and even most vacation life. But the rancor here is born out of pay more, get less. It would be this case with anything on the ship. If they charged more for drinks but told you that you could only order once an hour — more for less. Or told you you can still have as many of our drinks that now cost more, but you have to reuse your cup — more for less. This is a valuation thread. Not a thread about who likes turndown service and who doesn’t. Even someone who hates turndown service and refuses turndown service can still be upset that the price is more for less service. That is the obvious service that is being deleted or reduced. One is left to wonder what other services will be diminished or adjusted despite the rise in price. Consumers shouldn’t have to worry about the debt a company is carrying and adjust expectations for that. 

Edited by New2cruise2022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Consumers shouldn’t have to worry about the debt a company is carrying and adjust expectations for that. 

The ultimate consumers of any product or service in any industry always pay for everything...and that includes the carrying costs of any debt a company may have. 

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The ultimate consumers of any product or service in any industry always pay for everything...and that includes the carrying costs of any debt a company may have. 

Yes, the money consumers pay obviously will carry any obligations for the vendor. My demonstration is that consumers pay for services without violins playing in the background for the debt-laden business. 

6 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Yes, the money consumers pay obviously will carry any obligations for the vendor. My demonstration is that consumers pay for services without violins playing in the background for the debt-laden business. 

Without going back and doing an actual count, my reading of this thread is that 85% of the posts are complaining that NCL is cutting back on service at the same time as they're raising the daily service charge (a rather valid compliant IMO), 10% are pointing out that many hotels and other cruise lines had already cut back on housekeeping service (factually accurate) and only 5% are what you call "violin playing" .

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Without going back and doing an actual count, my reading of this thread is that 85% of the posts are complaining that NCL is cutting back on service at the same time as they're raising the daily service charge (a rather valid compliant IMO), 10% are pointing out that many hotels and other cruise lines had already cut back on housekeeping service (factually accurate) and only 5% are what you call "violin playing" .

My comment was to the 5%. I made no commentary that it was commonplace. That 5% is passionate and at times they do plug their violins into an amplifier, but my point is that MOST consumers are paying only for the services rendered and aren’t considering the history or financial well-being of the company. 

I hear the Epic is going to be the first to go this route starting Jan. 8th. I look forward to seeing how they manage a few things. 

1. Towels- will you be able to call for more if you happen to need them? How long will it take for them to arrive? 

2. Beds- we are a family of 3- so will need 1 bed made up (flipped) for my son. I don't mind doing it ourselves but is that how it will be done? With guests doing it? We honestly prefer for it to remain a bed the entire time- can we make a note of that somewhere? 

3. Will room service plates simply remain in the cabin for 24 hours? Do we call someone to have them picked up? 

4. Do we get to pick AM or PM for servicing the room? How is that determined? 

• Like 2