When/ what is your next Azamara cruise?

laurieb

On 12/29/2022 at 10:30 AM, GoSeeDo2 said:

April 15, 2023 Pursuit, Israel Intensive. Looking forward to finally getting to go to Israel 🤞. Had this booked back in 2021. This will be our third AZ cruise in 18 mos. and second on the Pursuit. 

We’ll be onboard with you!  Starting our research and so looking forward to it!

On 12/29/2022 at 11:28 AM, uktog said:

As there’s so much confusion on whether yellow fever exemption letter will be accepted next year on our SA trip (they were not this year it transpires) looks like our b2b2b will have to go so currently nothing until 2 biggies in 2024. 

Dont give up on Africa quite yet.  The South Africa east coast cruises are intensive and have option where different reserves could be visited as welll as a couple of overnights.  Currently we have at least one B2Ber who is doing the itinerary twice just trying to get oriented etc. 

To me the west coast is not auite ready for prime time yet, but there are only 2 countries that require vaccines if you are coming from a YF area in the last 14 days.  Those are South Africa and Namibia.  It makes sense that they would not want to honor a waiver as you could be carrying the virus to them.  Please seriously consider the north bound west Africa if that’s where you’d like to.  And, to me a delay of a couple of years could improve your tour experiences. 

We've been to SA before, the timing of northbound would be at a point in the year we would not be able to do so we have moved on, SA will not be on the agenda for a while.  

I note the point about not accepting the letters, but it is difficult when the waiver is accepted globally why suddenly it was not.  We booked the cruises in good faith knowing I would be travelling on the waiver and never having had an issue with it before, but now we have to lose two deposits - ouch lesson learned.  Keep SA off the agenda for now

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

We've been to SA before, the timing of northbound would be at a point in the year we would not be able to do so we have moved on, SA will not be on the agenda for a while.  

I note the point about not accepting the letters, but it is difficult when the waiver is accepted globally why suddenly it was not.  We booked the cruises in good faith knowing I would be travelling on the waiver and never having had an issue with it before, but now we have to lose two deposits - ouch lesson learned.  Keep SA off the agenda for now

glad to hear you’ve been there before.  Because of the long flights I’m not likely to return soon although I’d still like to get to the Ivory coast.  

we booked a cruise for 2025, Amazon,  and we told we’d only lose $75 each but that we can change cruises once for no fee.  I too would be annoyed that I’d need to lose a deposit for conditions not fully disclosed at time of booking.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

2 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

glad to hear you’ve been there before.  Because of the long flights I’m not likely to return soon although I’d still like to get to the Ivory coast.  

we booked a cruise for 2025, Amazon,  and we told we’d only lose $75 each but that we can change cruises once for no fee.  I too would be annoyed that I’d need to lose a deposit for conditions not fully disclosed at time of booking.  

Lucky you just $75 its £250 for UK guests who lose deposits

45 minutes ago, uktog said:

Lucky you just $75 its £250 for UK guests who lose deposits

Our deposits were $275 each.  I was surprised that the fee was only $75 and for that I’m not convinced is accurate!  I suspect the $75 is a change fee and not total lost, but that’s not what we were told.  With that I’d try to move my reservation instead, but then if I don’t have a travel companion that could be tough!  

i do believe that there was so much confusion about YF vaccinations vs the YF vaccination certificate that has a place for waivers that loss of deposits should be waived!  I know the Stephen, CD, indicated they had really tried to get South Africa to accept the waivers but failed.  

for what it is worth in the Q&A the captain said that some cruises weren’t notified of closed ports before 2 days before their arrival.  Azamara, had a reserved berth when one of the ports closed, when the port opened they had given away the reserved berth.  

On 12/31/2022 at 7:54 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

June 23 Journey Spain Intensive. Lovely itinerary although disappointed we only arrive in Bordeaux at 8 pm on the day before departure.  I thought we would have the whole day there.   It's a Perry Golf cruise as well so I don't know if that will impact our usual Azamara experience.

We were on a Perry Golf cruise around Scotland in August, and it didn’t impact the usual experience at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, laurieb said:

We were on a Perry Golf cruise around Scotland in August, and it didn’t impact the usual experience at all.

That's what I have heard about all the Perry Golf cruises on Azamara.  I was worried that the Perry link would raise the fares, but they seem to have kept that cost separate for the golfing bookings only.  I wonder how it affects shore excursions, but maybe 1/2 of most couples don't golf and want to see the sights!

[We were on a Celebrity cruise that included a sizable group of Harley owners and their bikes.  When we learned of this we wondered how it would affect the cruise, but it was not an issue at all.  Thankfully our balcony was on the starboard side for that cruise, so we got to watch the parade of Harleys roaring out of the hold in the morning.  Otherwise, just a bunch of nice people.]

• Like 2

Perry Golf only has a positive impact on a cruise (from multiple first hand experiences).  In terms of shore excursions, yes spouses will go on them but I have never seen it impact on availability, in fact the opposite, less popular trips are far less likely to get cancelled.  Also some of the Perry Golfers come in sub groups and the spouses organise private activities as a group.

We too have cruised with the Harley riders - most of whom we discovered were doctors, lawyers and academics of our own age, its also lovely seeing by chance during the day as you tour around how the islanders love them and come out to watch a ride by.  I would love to sail with them again but that would mean a celebrity cruise.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Why aren't you convinced?

31014040_Screenshot2023-01-02at3_27_49PM.thumb.png.79d6ee7e66a52ff1f182375c0b49a25c.png

In part because she told me she was new to making reservations, and in part because no time limit was indicated!  For what it is worth, I did find what you posted, afterwards, and that makes more sense but is only for the US and Canada.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

In part because she told me she was new to making reservations, and in part because no time limit was indicated!  For what it is worth, I did find what you posted, afterwards, and that makes more sense but is only for the US and Canada.   

You'll notice that I carefully cropped the screen shot to include the US/Canada limitation – after checking your avatar to see that you are in the US.  I don't know what the rules are for other countries because it's difficult to see websites that are localized for where you're not.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You'll notice that I carefully cropped the screen shot to include the US/Canada limitation – after checking your avatar to see that you are in the US.  I don't know what the rules are for other countries because it's difficult to see websites that are localized for where you're not.

yes I understand that it’s difficult to tell what the rules are for other places, hence my mention that I’d only seen the US caveat as I was VPNed to the US most of the time.  For some reason  I haven’t figured out completely I often end up on the Australia website in my url.  I’m in neither place atm, and it’s been over 3 years since I was last actively coordinating a tour with an Aussie.  

Having just been through a lot of disinformation from Azamara, complete with some letters that seemed to add more confusion when they appologized for a recent confusing email, I’m not sure what is accurate on Azamara’s site and which is an oversight that missed an update.  As we all know, the devil is often in the details! 

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

yes I understand that it’s difficult to tell what the rules are for other places, hence my mention that I’d only seen the US caveat as I was VPNed to the US most of the time.  For some reason  I haven’t figured out completely I often end up on the Australia website in my url.  I’m in neither place atm, and it’s been over 3 years since I was last actively coordinating a tour with an Aussie.  

Having just been through a lot of disinformation from Azamara, complete with some letters that seemed to add more confusion when they appologized for a recent confusing email, I’m not sure what is accurate on Azamara’s site and which is an oversight that missed an update.  As we all know, the devil is often in the details! 

This is a fair point. I got my ticket for my cruise in January out of Buenos Aires and the ticket says I need a Covid test before embarking, yet the website and others on the roll call say you don't. For now, I go with the latter. The attention to detail pre cruising is pretty poor to not alter ticket info for something as important as that. Hope it's a bit more together on the actual ship.

• Like 2

Next cruise is on Pursuit from Buenos Aires to Rio on Feb 10 2023.  Anyone else on here looking for 2 people to join for land excursions that aren't with the ship please?  I find this site difficult to navigate.....probably my doing😊 I haven't a clue where appropriate place to ask.   Happy sailing

19 minutes ago, deberoons said:

Next cruise is on Pursuit from Buenos Aires to Rio on Feb 10 2023.  Anyone else on here looking for 2 people to join for land excursions that aren't with the ship please?  I find this site difficult to navigate.....probably my doing😊 I haven't a clue where appropriate place to ask.   Happy sailing

Best place to post is on your roll call here 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, Aardvaark said:

Next cruise Quest Spice Route, Singapore to Athens.  If it weren't for some accumulated airline points, airfare would be more than the cruise.  Humph.

We will be on the Spice route cruise with you.  I agree with the cost of the airfare.  We booked our non stop Vancouver to Singapore end of Nov and got an email the other day that the company we booked through has gone bankrupt.  We phoned Singapore Airlines and they told us we are fine as our tickets were confirmed before this happened.  I hope they are right.  i am nervous too, abut those 16 hr flights as I'm positive my grandmother died of DVT. 

We are really looking forward to transiting the Suez in our aft cabin.  We have only sailed on Quest so far.  We have two booked next Dec on Journey, Singapore to Perth B2B with Perth to Melbourne.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2023 at 7:14 PM, TeaBag said:

We will be on the Spice route cruise with you.  I agree with the cost of the airfare.  We booked our non stop Vancouver to Singapore end of Nov and got an email the other day that the company we booked through has gone bankrupt.  We phoned Singapore Airlines and they told us we are fine as our tickets were confirmed before this happened.  I hope they are right.  i am nervous too, abut those 16 hr flights as I'm positive my grandmother died of DVT. 

We are really looking forward to transiting the Suez in our aft cabin.  We have only sailed on Quest so far.  We have two booked next Dec on Journey, Singapore to Perth B2B with Perth to Melbourne.

There are several good articles about how to avoid or minimize the probability of DVT on long-haul flights.  Most include using compression/pressure stockings and being actively moving muscles etc.  years ago the airlines had groups standing around talking just to be moving.  Yes, a beverage cart was often involved. 

Having just gotten off another 16 hour flight: a day ago, I can say that there seemed to be less moving around but that doesn’t mean that isometrics and similar movements weren’t being used.  For me I did more moving around when I arrived home as several charley horses were extremely painful! 

Nothing booked at the moment but looking at Feb 2024. We like the look of The Rio Carnival cruise on Quest.

Anyone done this cruise previously and can give us any advise ? We've never been to S America.

Regards Paul & Patricia.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rubyclaret said:

Nothing booked at the moment but looking at Feb 2024. We like the look of The Rio Carnival cruise on Quest.

Anyone done this cruise previously and can give us any advise ? We've never been to S America.

Regards Paul & Patricia.

Buenos Aires deserves a few days to explore in and of its self.  We went to Antartica out of there and then on around the continent.  The tours that go to the areas where the horses and foods are shown off definitely require an good appetite.  They are however interesting in horsemanship as well as cooking and the variety of meats offered.

we are doing the 2025 trip through Rio and still plan to visit Buenos Aires a bit more.  We’d recommend having your hotel send a car for you, it’s cheaper and actually easier.  We got our own taxi for the same cost as us going back to the airport, waiting for our last passenger, and returning to the hotel.  Even with at least an hour wait time!  

On our previous trip lists of others taken about having watches ripped off wrist by passing motorcycles and even necklaces from women in a large mixed group.  We believed our hotel’s warnings and had nothing to lose with us!  In one shopping area, on a tour we were warned that the police were every 2 feet or so and not to fear calling out.  One woman had someone grab her hand to shake it. She felt like he was trying to remove her wedding rings and was able to resist.  

all of that is to say there are places to be careful in, but the city has a lot to offer and is trying to control the theft. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rubyclaret said:

Regards Paul & Patricia.

We did Buenos Aires to Rio then Rio to Lisbon before Covid - loved both cruises have rebooked same for March 2024. Loved South America - we did not do carnival but all the famous Rio sights. Wonderful.

• Like 1