Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

regular appetizers the Beef Ragout, Waldrof Chicken Salda, Graden fresh salad, chickpea-tomato soup, & Asican consomme.  

The beef ragout on night 1 and shrimp louis on night 2 were the only exceptions, though I don’t know what shrimp louis is— maybe it’s a salad too. Look at every other night: soup, salad, and pate (rillette). Nothing else

Where did things like spring rolls go?

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The beef ragout on night 1 and shrimp louis on night 2 were the only exceptions, though I don’t know what shrimp louis is— maybe it’s a salad too. Look at every other night: soup, salad, and pate (rillette). Nothing else

Where did things like spring rolls go?

Ah - I see what you are saying now.  However, as I said earlier, I really don't trust the menu's on the App until much closer to the sailing date.   Hopefully we'll have some live updates before our cruises. 

Unfortunately, I have not been seeing a lot of reviews from people sailing Millennium.   Maybe that will change in the coming weeks/months. 

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Ah - I see what you are saying now.  However, as I said earlier, I really don't trust the menu's on the App until much closer to the sailing date.   Hopefully we'll have some live updates before our cruises. 

Unfortunately, I have not been seeing a lot of reviews from people sailing Millennium.   Maybe that will change in the coming weeks/months. 

My sailing is March 25. I already have in my notes to do some recon on Zacapa Rum for you. Feel free to add to that list as our sailing get closer. 

Well after reading everything on this thread and several related threads, DH and I are rather concerned.  We completed two cruises in December (Beyond and Solstice) and noticed that food quality, variety and availability were definitely slipping fast -- but we've already scheduled 4 consecutive cruises on Equinox starting at the end of January AND a transatlantic crossing a couple of months later.  Now, we'd love to cancel them all and find a different line (or simply bank our money until the cruise industry sorts out the madness and competition resumes to reclaim and retain cruisers.)  Alas, we're too close to sailing to cancel without large penalties, so we'll just travel as planned and hope for the best.  Of all the changes people have mentioned (most of which we genuinely don't care about), the one we hope is just a rumor is that the Classic Entreés may be removed from the MDR menu.  DH is a dedicated bodybuilder and sticks to his diet regime even on a cruise ... and that means plain chicken breast or a plain piece of salmon four to five times a day.  He always wants to hit the buffet after the show to grab a grilled chicken breast or two to eat as his bedtime snack.  I guess we'll need to grab a few off of the lunch buffet and put them in our stateroom fridge instead.  After the crossing, no future X cruises for us until things settle down. 

Edited by gardengalaz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Except it's not about dietary considerations for me.

I like the buffet for simplicity.

No fuss

No lines waiting to be seated.

It takes less time for a meal.

You can see what you put on your plate (no guessing).

You can more easily social distance.

No long pants required for men.

For me, the grilling station was the only way to get FRESH protein (not sitting under heat lamp).

I'm very disappointed.

I agree with every point you have. If the cruise line discontinues a casual venue that meets my dietary needs, why shouldn't I see if the MD can accommodate? They want 10's for food, right? 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 6:17 PM, crusinpeg said:

Problem is OVC is sometimes a last minute choice.

And it still could be. Walk-ins would be fine. But the reservations, for those who plan on eating there in advance, could help give them a dining number estimate so they could plan on number of stations to be open.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

Well I reached out by email and here is what I received.

Please be advised that the Oceanview Café will not be closed for dinner. The operating hours for dinner will remain the same, approximately, 6:00 – 9:30 pm. However, we will now have limited offerings. We will have one food station, which will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu, a limited salad station, and pizza station. I am including a sample menu below with our Italian Theme Menu as an example. This menu is just a sample and subject to change.

•    Small Salad Station:
White Bean Salad
Tuscan Panzanella with tomatoes and spicy focaccia croutons
Chicken and pasta salad
•    Mains:
Pollo alla Cacciatore
Beef lasagna
Eggplant Parmigiano
Mix vegetable medley
•    Pizza Station:
Pomodoro
Pepperoni
Mushroom and vegetable

I hope this information is of assistance to you.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next sailing!

Dang, no pasta station and the salad bar is a reduced one. And not even any dessert or ice cream stations? What a disaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LoveCruisingSD said:

We have never cancelled... wouldn't you lose a NR deposit regardless of how early you cancel? 

Exactly the reason I'm not cancelling my Summit cruise in July. Just keep it and then head elsewhere for my cruising needs. Why would I want a FCC I'm not going to use?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

My sailing is March 25. I already have in my notes to do some recon on Zacapa Rum for you. Feel free to add to that list as our sailing get closer. 

Greatly appreciated.  If I think of anything else, I'll let you know but that's all I can think of at this time. 

• Like 1

This is wild. I wonder if there’s any chance the full ocean view buffet dinner will come back before my next cruise December 2023. DH and I have a cruise booked with our kids - the OV is our go to alternative to making our tired kids sit through a long formal main dining room experience. I know we’re not celebrity’s target demographic, I guess that’s even more clear now.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Well, yes, the only language they understand is money. I do not believe they are listening to the voices that money is attached to. 

Well, if that's the case the voices and the attached money will go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Dang, no pasta station and the salad bar is a reduced one. And not even any dessert or ice cream stations? What a disaster.

There are 3 salad options and 3 pasta options.  Not a station but an option.  The note did say 'subject to change'.

Pollo alla Cacciatore, Beef lasagna, Eggplant Parmigiano. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

Well I reached out by email and here is what I received.

Please be advised that the Oceanview Café will not be closed for dinner. The operating hours for dinner will remain the same, approximately, 6:00 – 9:30 pm. However, we will now have limited offerings. We will have one food station, which will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu, a limited salad station, and pizza station. I am including a sample menu below with our Italian Theme Menu as an example. This menu is just a sample and subject to change.

•    Small Salad Station:
White Bean Salad
Tuscan Panzanella with tomatoes and spicy focaccia croutons
Chicken and pasta salad
•    Mains:
Pollo alla Cacciatore
Beef lasagna
Eggplant Parmigiano
Mix vegetable medley
•    Pizza Station:
Pomodoro
Pepperoni
Mushroom and vegetable

I hope this information is of assistance to you.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next sailing!

This is perfect, it's almost like they planned the menu for my personal preferences.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

There are 3 salad options and 3 pasta options.  Not a station but an option.  The note did say 'subject to change'.

Since the offerings apparently will change on a 7 day rotation it would be interesting to see the other 6 days offerings.

Eliminating the pasta station makes no sense, inexpensive food that seemed to the “go to” for many when the other options were appealing or closed.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The salad bar is a complete joke.

Let us hope they bring it back as it was.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chriskoo said:

This is wild. I wonder if there’s any chance the full ocean view buffet dinner will come back before my next cruise December 2023. DH and I have a cruise booked with our kids - the OV is our go to alternative to making our tired kids sit through a long formal main dining room experience. I know we’re not celebrity’s target demographic, I guess that’s even more clear now.

Your cruise is 11 months away. IMO, what is currently being reported in the Oceanview Cafe is a reflection of the total number of passengers on board (not fully booked).

I would venture a guess that when you sail in December the ship will have far more passengers and the offerings in Oceanview will be back to normal. Hope you and your kids have a great cruise.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Since the offerings apparently will change on a 7 day rotation it would be interesting to see the other 6 days offerings.

Eliminating the pasta station makes no sense, inexpensive food that seemed to the “go to” for many when the other options were appealing or closed.  

Agreed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

IMO, what is currently being reported in the Oceanview Cafe is a reflection of the total number of passengers on board (not fully booked).

What information are you using to come to that opinion? 

If this were temporary and based on capacity, I don't for a second think Celebrity would have addressed it with a statement, as each ship does things a little different from time to time and no need for announcements. We are seeing the same degradation on multiple ships and an announcement of a change. This isn't capacity based or temporary, IMO. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 3

I have another fearless guess at what's about to happen to MDR menu, and I don't mean charges for a second lobster or reduction in classic offerings.

I'll make a new post when the time is appropriate. I'll be more careful with my wording in the title so not to be attacked. There's quite a few people in this thread that should question their approach to a stranger and/or would most likely be apologizing tail tucked between legs if they were not hiding behind a keyboard. 

The changes aren't done and the next round is going to make some of the current ones seem reasonable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I have another fearless guess at what's about to happen to MDR menu, and I don't mean charges for a second lobster or reduction in classic offerings.

I'll make a new post when the time is appropriate. I'll be more careful with my wording in the title so not to be attacked. There's quite a few people in this thread that should question their approach to a stranger and/or would most likely be apologizing tail tucked between legs if they were not hiding behind a keyboard. 

The changes aren't done and the next round is going to make some of the current ones seem reasonable. 

😱

• Like 1