Open letter to Christine Duffy!

pzsdd6

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

I don't see how they'd be able to keep me off a ship if I lived in Florida. I'd be on some kind of ship every other week at least.

6 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I still have to squeeze in just a little bit of work !

Tom

Yep, my employer actually wants me to show up for work most days! How am I supposed to take full advantage of all these ports with such unreasonable expectations?!?  

4 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Yep, my employer actually wants me to show up for work most days! How am I supposed to take full advantage of all these ports with such unreasonable expectations?!?  

The cruise lines are really sleeping on this market. People who can work remotely could cruise much more often if only the internet on the ships was more reliable. Some lines are doing better in this regard but more could always be done. They can't afford to give this segment of the market to Hawaii, Vegas, Sandals, etc...

I'm not sure I'd want to work on vacation even if I could (matter of fact I don't really like working at home, I like seeing different walls from time to time), but it's normal to a lot of people.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The cruise lines are really sleeping on this market. People who can work remotely could cruise much more often if only the internet on the ships was more reliable. Some lines are doing better in this regard but more could always be done. They can't afford to give this segment of the market to Hawaii, Vegas, Sandals, etc...

I'm not sure I'd want to work on vacation even if I could (matter of fact I don't really like working at home, I like seeing different walls from time to time), but it's normal to a lot of people.

Even with stellar internet I wouldn't pay for a cruise and then work during it. I pay for cruises to get away from work, not bring it with me. I do work from home occasionally, but at least I have a view and can lounge by the pool with my laptop - for free (or at least I can once my pool cage gets rebuilt from the hurricane damage).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Even with stellar internet I wouldn't pay for a cruise and then work during it. I pay for cruises to get away from work, not bring it with me. I do work from home occasionally, but at least I have a view and can lounge by the pool with my laptop - for free (or at least I can once my pool cage gets rebuilt from the hurricane damage).

If I still worked, it wouldn't matter. Export control laws prohibited it. One of the reasons I started cruising more and more.

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

"They cut chicken thighs into three pieces."

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 2.16.45 PM.png

Yup, believe it.  THREE pieces!  But that's not the worst... I used to be able to get pizza cut in 8 pieces, but now they only cut them in four so I only get half as much pizza.  These are the kinds of cutbacks, like the three-cut-thigh, that everyone has had enough of - when will it end?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, icft said:

"I clean between x (with x being some obscene early time) to noon. What time would you like me to come?"

....But it does make the gratuities game even more absurd. Do you tip the maids at the motel?

Geesh. This response is definitely not the vibe. The window they give is generally like 6 hours long. Can you not give them a 15 minute window where they can clean (sometimes even less time) in 6 hours? I find your assessment of once per day servicing in relation to the increased gratuities absurd.

Yes. We do leave cash at hotels for a tip. It's customary to tip many folks who work in hospitality. 

Further, on cruise lines, your tips aren't made "more absurd" by only having once per day room servicing with how many folks are "cut in" to the tip pool that you might not even be aware of.

I'm genuinely confused when you say "they no longer have Stewards, just maids." Are you trying to talk down about them by this comment?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CajunOyster said:

Huh.  You must have angry bartenders because that has never, ever been my experience in 18, now 19 years of cruising on Carnival.

Really? I'm always super polite and tip so.... the main thing I notice is I drink alot of cocktails, frozen ones etc. They pour in the shot then the mix and its always too much for the glass. So 2/3 goes in the glass and 1/3 goes down the drain. One time I asked the guy for the rest and he said he's not allowed. I tried to explain that I paid for a shot not 2/3  of a shot but he didn't get it. When your paying 12 bucks a drink its a bit frustrating 

Just now, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Really? I'm always super polite and tip so.... the main thing I notice is I drink alot of cocktails, frozen ones etc. They pour in the shot then the mix and its always too much for the glass. So 2/3 goes in the glass and 1/3 goes down the drain. One time I asked the guy for the rest and he said he's not allowed. I tried to explain that I paid for a shot not 2/3  of a shot but he didn't get it. When your paying 12 bucks a drink its a bit frustrating 

Ah, well I don't drink the frozen drinks, so there's the difference.  I've never had a problem with classic cocktails, martinis and the like.  Alchemy will give you some serious bang for the buck.

1 hour ago, notscb said:

...I'm genuinely confused when you say "they no longer have Stewards, just maids." Are you trying to talk down about them by this comment?

Not talking down but there is a significant difference just as there is a significant difference between an attorney and a paralegal. Both are good, honest work (well... attorney...) but one has a much larger scope of service than the other.

Most lines no longer have stewards. A steward in the old days (and I know things have changed and won't go back and I'm not asking for that - just explaining the difference) was a prestigious position with significant responsibility and authority. They were responsible for the room and the guest's lodging comfort. In that system they were the person you tipped and they in turn tipped out those whose behind the scenes work enabled them to carry out their responsibility. That gave them leverage to get things done in addition to their formal authority to get things done.

Note that they were responsible for the room. You were not sent to a room with broken furniture in those days. The steward noted any problems and had them fixed as they occurred since they looked for anything out of order everyday. They were responsible for the guest's lodging comfort so they didn't just bring fresh towels and clean, they observed. If the guest usually threw off the blanket, for example, they might offer a lighter blanket or if you came with a baby they immediately offered the requisite items. They didn't ask when you wanted the room cleaned, they observed your habits and movements did their thing while you were out. They were a true wonder. 

That is a far cry from today's change towels, make bed, vacuum and get out. Today's stateroom attendants are essentially room maids with the added responsibility of knowing your name and bringing ice each day if asked.

Both are honorable occupations, but they are vastly different in their scope of service.

1 hour ago, notscb said:

Geesh. This response is definitely not the vibe. The window they give is generally like 6 hours long. Can you not give them a 15 minute window where they can clean (sometimes even less time) in 6 hours? I find your assessment of once per day servicing in relation to the increased gratuities absurd.

Yes. We do leave cash at hotels for a tip. It's customary to tip many folks who work in hospitality. 

Further, on cruise lines, your tips aren't made "more absurd" by only having once per day room servicing with how many folks are "cut in" to the tip pool that you might not even be aware of.

I'm genuinely confused when you say "they no longer have Stewards, just maids." Are you trying to talk down about them by this comment?

so what exactly are the hours they work now? So you guys are saying there is no PM service just AM?

6 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

so what exactly are the hours they work now? So you guys are saying there is no PM service just AM?

I don't remember the start time. My sleep hours at home are go to bed between 1:30am and 2am and wake up 9:30 - 10 so their something like 6 or 7am start time I didn't even consider. But I do remember the noon end time.

Like I said, saying anytime after 10 has worked for us. But it is a shame I have to set my alarm clock on vacation when I don't at home. At a hotel they don't tie me to a time. We just put out the do not disturb and they come after that is gone. It seems like Carnival could do the same.

6 minutes ago, icft said:

I don't remember the start time. My sleep hours at home are go to bed between 1:30am and 2am and wake up 9:30 - 10 so their something like 6 or 7am start time I didn't even consider. But I do remember the noon end time.

Like I said, saying anytime after 10 has worked for us. But it is a shame I have to set my alarm clock on vacation when I don't at home. At a hotel they don't tie me to a time. We just put out the do not disturb and they come after that is gone. It seems like Carnival could do the same.

I have been working 2nd shift for about 25 years. So like you I go sleep late and wake up late.

I will not get up to accommodate somebody making my bed. So I will just get extra towels all week.

If they are only working unttil noon what are they doing the rest of the day? I have been on many cruises and have never seen the cruise lines give these guys any breaks. They always find something for them to do.

10 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

Yup, believe it.  THREE pieces!  But that's not the worst... I used to be able to get pizza cut in 8 pieces, but now they only cut them in four so I only get half as much pizza.  These are the kinds of cutbacks, like the three-cut-thigh, that everyone has had enough of - when will it end?

LOL - I'm not sure how, but I think KFC gets 10 pieces out of a whole chicken. I've looked in more than one bucket and pulled out pieces which I could not figure out where they were cut from !!  😄 

Tom

8 hours ago, icft said:

Most lines no longer have stewards. ...

Note that they were responsible for the room. You were not sent to a room with broken furniture in those days. The steward noted any problems and had them fixed as they occurred since they looked for anything out of order everyday. They were responsible for the guest's lodging comfort so they didn't just bring fresh towels and clean, they observed. If the guest usually threw off the blanket, for example, they might offer a lighter blanket or if you came with a baby they immediately offered the requisite items. They didn't ask when you wanted the room cleaned, they observed your habits and movements did their thing while you were out. They were a true wonder. 

On our recent (Christmas) Liberty sailing we were offered either AM or PM service. By the second evening, I mentioned to him that a bulb was out (bedside lamp), that another one was flashing/strobing at the make up area, and that the bathroom door was extremely noisy/clunky (could not discretely go in there in the middle of the night without waking Cheryl up). Well, it took about 24 hours, but all of those things were eventually remedied - though the door still needs some type of major overhaul. I commented to Cheryl that there's no way that he was not aware of these things - unless he's just so focused on getting in/out of there and on to the next cabin. I still tipped over the top, he was a nice and friendly fellow and did keep the room clean and our ice chest full.

Tom

• Like 1

Our last 2 cruises this year (last one as recent as 2 weeks ago), we were asked what service we wanted, AM or PM.  We always choose PM right after we leave for dinner (we have YTD and leave by 6 PM from the cabin.

We have always had this timeframe even when you could choose 2 service times, never, ever had the need to have room serviced 2x in one day.  If we need something extra during the day we just ask at that time.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, icft said:

Not talking down but there is a significant difference just as there is a significant difference between an attorney and a paralegal. Both are good, honest work (well... attorney...) but one has a much larger scope of service than the other.

Most lines no longer have stewards. A steward in the old days (and I know things have changed and won't go back and I'm not asking for that - just explaining the difference) was a prestigious position with significant responsibility and authority. They were responsible for the room and the guest's lodging comfort. In that system they were the person you tipped and they in turn tipped out those whose behind the scenes work enabled them to carry out their responsibility. That gave them leverage to get things done in addition to their formal authority to get things done.

That is a far cry from today's change towels, make bed, vacuum and get out. Today's stateroom attendants are essentially room maids with the added responsibility of knowing your name and bringing ice each day if asked.

Both are honorable occupations, but they are vastly different in their scope of service.

In those days, it was also the more wealthy that could afford to cruise.  A cruise was not something the average everyday person could afford.

There are still lines where this is the case.  Carnival is not one of them.  It sounds like you have outgrown Carnival.  

If you are looking for a top-dollar experience, provide top-dollar to one of the luxury lines.  Accept that Carnival is no longer this experience.

11 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

It's anyone's guess what the next cutback will be. Maybe Carnival will get rid of complimentary continental breakfast room service as I think NCL or Royal just did. Maybe guests will be expected to just eat over trash cans to avoid needing to wipe down tables. I mean, I don't need to sit down to eat so I don't see why anybody would have a problem with that. Maybe Carnival will outsource their Lido buffet to Ryan's to save money (actually, that might actually be an upgrade so nevermind).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It's anyone's guess what the next cutback will be. Maybe Carnival will get rid of complimentary continental breakfast room service as I think NCL or Royal just did. Maybe guests will be expected to just eat over trash cans to avoid needing to wipe down tables. I mean, I don't need to sit down to eat so I don't see why anybody would have a problem with that. Maybe Carnival will outsource their Lido buffet to Ryan's to save money (actually, that might actually be an upgrade so nevermind).

This entire thread is comical.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

My experience on Splendor... he didn't offer PM service, just said his hours were between x and noon.  Only when I asked about PM service did he say he could do that.

It's sort of like the steak sauces in the steakhouse. In years past, they ALWAYS made a point to ask about your preference. The last few times we've sailed I can't say it even came up (all that I want is horseradish anyway). For that matter, and for a brief period of time (since restart) they had the bright idea of trying to "wow" people with a salt selection - asking you which salt you'd prefer the chef to use on your steak. When I order the spice rubbed ribeye, I want it to come "the way it's intended", and with regard to the other steaks - please, just do it the way it's always been done !

Oh.. and bring back the freakin' wasabi to the yukon gold mashed potatoes... wth !

Double OH .... with regard to the horseradish, I often bring my own from home (yep!) as theirs is typically quite mild. Well, this last time my sinuses were cleared in a jiffy with what they had onboard. I was surprised !

Tom