Open letter to Christine Duffy!

pzsdd6

I put $50 in a slot on my last cruise, (July Spirit Alaska,) and came home to an offer of a VERY cheap cruise to Mexican Rivera that I couldn’t pass up. Motel 6 cost more! Also cruised NCL for 40th anniversary to Alaska, which had been planned precovid, very expensive cruise. Almost 4X what the Spirit cost. Prettier ship? Yes. Food better? Yes? Better time? Nope. Alaska was fabulous both trips. I’m not high maintenance, get me where I’m going, I’m really not going to complain unless it’s something major. The only cruise problem I can ever really remember is NCL kept cancelling excursions, and I know that wasn’t all their fault, but they handled them horribly. Some they didn’t tell us, took forever for refunds, one I called to cancel because it was the train going to Canada that wasn’t going to happen. A week later, had to call again because the rep didn’t cancel it! My point is, the grass may look greener but there are still problems but they might just be way more expensive problems. 

Edited by kona_wahine
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Twice a day servicing is gone and not coming back.   

I think there is a good chance it will return. Once the race to the bottom is over and the books are back in the black, the various lines will be looking to differentiate once again and separate themselves from the pack. This could very well happen once things return to "normal" but the folks expecting the same product post-covid, that they had pre-covid, will be disappointed for a few years. All those little nice extra touches will be eliminated to maintain the meat and potatoes product but it won't always be like that, hopefully anyway.   

5 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I think there is a good chance it will return. Once the race to the bottom is over and the books are back in the black, the various lines will be looking to differentiate once again and separate themselves from the pack. This could very well happen once things return to "normal" but the folks expecting the same product post-covid, that they had pre-covid, will be disappointed for a few years. All those little nice extra touches will be eliminated to maintain the meat and potatoes product but it won't always be like that, hopefully anyway.   

I don’t usually agree with Blerk but 100% in agreement that it’s not coming back.

No problem with me. Evening service is fine with us. I like to sleep in.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Royal Caribbean is following the leader:

https://www.cruisehive.com/service-change-spotted-on-royal-caribbean-ship/89773

I believe John Heald posted today that it wasn't coming back. I'll leave that as an exercise to look up.

There will never again be cruising as it was pre-covid. There is a new normal.

11 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I don’t usually agree with Blerk but 100% in agreement that it’s not coming back.

No problem with me. Evening service is fine with us. I like to sleep in.

I don't mind once a day either, the only issue is they have built and sold cabins as expected occupancies. There are even signs to not to attempt to take care of pullmans and such yourself. Some cabins are not really usable without the conversion from day use to sleeping use. They have a lot of cabins that are for four or even five occupants, not everyone is just a couple. Are they going to start leaving keys in the cabins for the pullmans and instructions for do-it-yourself couch conversions? Just telling folks "oh well too bad you have no space or no where to sit" seems non customer service orientated. Many folks may have booked these before the changes and may have opted for additional cabins or different cabins if they knew they would be stuck without configuration choices. It's not a problem for most cabins but it's not insignificant either.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I don't mind once a day either, the only issue is they have built and sold cabins as expected occupancies. There are even signs to not to attempt to take care of pullmans and such yourself. Some cabins are not really usable without the conversion from day use to sleeping use. They have a lot of cabins that are for four or even five occupants, not everyone is just a couple. Are they going to start leaving keys in the cabins for the pullmans and instructions for do-it-yourself couch conversions? Just telling folks "oh well too bad you have no space or no where to sit" seems non customer service orientated. Many folks may have booked these before the changes and may have opted for additional cabins or different cabins if they knew they would be stuck without configuration choices. It's not a problem for most cabins but it's not insignificant either.    

Time will tell but when tips are on the line I bet this things will get done. If not there are going to be some unhappy pax.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It has been once a day servicing for a long time, and for a long time prior, once a day servicing was being encouraged. As you say, it's not a problem for most (if any ).

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It has been once a day servicing for a long time, and for a long time prior, once a day servicing was being encouraged. As you say, it's not a problem for most (if any ).

What about the people who it is a problem for? That's the question. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Actually, it has a direct impact on my next two cruises in fact, hence the question. I'm not sure why you keep digging in on being unhelpful, it's a simple question that effects a lot of us who travel as families or even groups of adults. 

Again: There are signs to not attempt to take care of pullmans and such yourself. Some cabins are not really usable without the conversion from day use to sleeping use. They have a lot of cabins that are for four or even five occupants, not everyone is just a couple. Are they going to start leaving keys in the cabins for the pullmans and instructions for do-it-yourself couch conversions? Just telling folks "oh well too bad you have no space or no where to sit" seems non customer service orientated.

Nothing to do with special needs, ambulance chasers or dirty cabins. It's a matter of logistics, expectations, cruise line rules (keys required?) and service. Interjecting all these other random things and dismissive conjecture isn't helpful. Just because it has no impact on you does not mean it has no impact on others. 

It's a simple fact that stateroom service is once a day. It has been like that since cruising restarted, or close enough. That is not going to change. You certainly have known this.  I suggest you call Carnival and ask for your money back if not happy and move on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I don't understand the pullman defense. I see some have tried it, and others are following. It's funny to read other cutbacks as they relate to safety. I read about about how people on other cruise lines will now die of covid and have their dietary restrictions trashed because room service is not free.

Back to the pullman defense. We're going to be concussed because we're all walking in a maze in the black of the night, smacking our heads. I hope they open another trauma wing. What was the system before? They ran in at 7 am to roll it up, then again at 8 pm to roll it out? If you want them to put it away in the morning service, I am willing to bet my entire gratuity, they will without issue. God forbid you have to pull it down when you're ready. Cruising is no longer special!

Honest question here....how do you get extra ice?  We've only been on Carnival once since the restart, but our cabin steward was nice enough to bring me 2 ice buckets and filled them twice a day and also refreshed our towels.  I was recuperating from knee replacement and that ice was a godsend. I am healing from hip replacement for our cruise in two weeks and I am going to need ice!  Our other cruises were on another line, so we had twice a day service.   

IDK, but God bless you who are putting 5 people in a cabin.  The day I have to sleep 5 people (or even 4 adults) in a single cabin is the day that I stay home...or sleep on the deck. 

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Honest question here....how do you get extra ice?  We've only been on Carnival once since the restart, but our cabin steward was nice enough to bring me 2 ice buckets and filled them twice a day and also refreshed our towels.  I was recuperating from knee replacement and that ice was a godsend. I am healing from hip replacement for our cruise in two weeks and I am going to need ice!  Our other cruises were on another line, so we had twice a day service.   

Call your cabin steward when you want more. You can also call room service.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

IDK, but God bless you who are putting 5 people in a cabin.  The day I have to sleep 5 people (or even 4 adults) in a single cabin is the day that I stay home...or sleep on the deck. 

I'm trying out family harbor suites for two specific cruises. It was a strategic booking decision during a special limited time sale. We usually do two cabins and will moving forward, especially with the single day cabin servicing and all the confusion it causes. They also raised gratuities for the inconvenience. Still haven't gotten a useful answer but it seems you can't ask a simple question on the subject without a bunch of snark, sarcasm and general asshatery replies.  It's so frustrating and unhelpful (not you, others).    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Call your cabin steward when you want more. You can also call room service.

Unfortunately, I've been stuck in that loop before.  The cabin steward said to call room service and room service said to call the cabin steward.  We can always pop up to lido and grab a few glasses of ice for my icebag. 

Just now, RoperDK said:

Unfortunately, I've been stuck in that loop before.  The cabin steward said to call room service and room service said to call the cabin steward.  We can always pop up to lido and grab a few glasses of ice for my icebag. 

Then I'd call Guest Services and ask if they could get the Hotel Director to deliver some ice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'm trying out family harbor suites for two specific cruises. It was a strategic booking decision during a special limited time sale. We usually do two cabins and will moving forward, especially with the single day cabin servicing and all the confusion it causes. They also raised gratuities for the inconvenience. Still haven't gotten a useful answer but it seems you can't ask a simple question on the subject without a bunch of snark, sarcasm and general asshatery replies.  It's so frustrating and unhelpful (not you, others).    

A suite is a little different.  It at least has a little more room. Even a balcony wouldn't be too bad.  But 4 or 5 people in a tiny inside room?  No thanks.    

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Then I'd call Guest Services and ask if they could get the Hotel Director to deliver some ice.

Lol, that is not his job.  I can figure it out.  Perhaps I will have a sympathetic cabin steward again and they will bring me my ice and receive a wonderful tip at the end of the cruise.  

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

A suite is a little different.  It at least has a little more room. Even a balcony wouldn't be too bad.  But 4 or 5 people in a tiny inside room?  No thanks.    

I agree, did 5 for my first cruise in an inside not knowing how small cruise cabins were, I literally did want to sleep on the lido deck and stayed out as late as possible as I dreaded returning to the cabin. I'm a big guy and claustrophobic so it was a huge mistake, I would never do it again, ever, even for free lol. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Lol, that is not his job.  I can figure it out.  Perhaps I will have a sympathetic cabin steward again and they will bring me my ice and receive a wonderful tip at the end of the cruise.  

No, but I imagine the HD could sort it all out so there won't be any more issues with ice. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I've had more and more of this since the restart. I never got the runaround before COVID on a Carnival cruise. Overall the level of service on a Carnival cruise seems to have declined somewhat since COVID.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Still haven't gotten a useful answer but it seems you can't ask a simple question on the subject without a bunch of snark, sarcasm and general asshatery replies.  It's so frustrating and unhelpful (not you, others).    

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Are confirming that you can pull down or put away the pullman without a key or just being a smartarse? 

Yet there is no snark behind your truly inquisitive questions of "will they leave the keys for the pullman?" Behind a lot of these changes, is people kicking and screaming about huge damages to their experience, health, etc. for trivial things. "What if I hate my dinner and want two more plates? NICKLES AND DIMES! What if I roam my room in the night and crack my head open??"

No, I don't know exactly about the pullman scenario. I've used one once, and don't recall the problems. If I was a betting man, I would bet everything in my name that if it is inaccessible to the cruiser, you can make a request, and they will help you out. There is no need to change an entire fleetwide, labor model, for one little flippy boi for the bed.

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Yet there is no snark behind your truly inquisitive questions of "will they leave the keys for the pullman?" Behind a lot of these changes, is people kicking and screaming about huge damages to their experience, health, etc. for trivial things. "What if I hate my dinner and want two more plates? NICKLES AND DIMES! What if I roam my room in the night and crack my head open??"

No, I don't know exactly about the pullman scenario. I've used one once, and don't recall the problems. If I was a betting man, I would bet everything in my name that if it is inaccessible to the cruiser, you can make a request, and they will help you out. There is no need to change an entire fleetwide, labor model, for one little flippy boi for the bed.

I can't speak for "people kicking and screaming", I have a specific legitimate cabin question and I'm not sure why folks keep trying to pull it in a different direction or obfuscate the issue with random left-field suppositions. So you have zero experience with the issue and no clue? Awesome. Appreciate the contribution. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Still haven't gotten a useful answer but it seems you can't ask a simple question on the subject without a bunch of snark, sarcasm and general asshatery replies.  It's so frustrating and unhelpful (not you, others).    

15 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1