International Medical Travel Insurance

Lyndihop

Each policy is different and is often based on cost.   Would recommend speaking with a licensed Insurance Broker and have him advise which policy best meets your need.

Unless someone is a licensed broker it is illegal for them to give you insurance advise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unless someone is a licensed broker it is illegal for them to give you insurance advise.

Really? So @riffatsea just did something illegal? 🙂 

I am pretty sure you can give insurance advice without being licensed. I think the illegal thing is selling, soliciting, etc.

But I agree with what you said...either get a broker/agent or use Google.

47 minutes ago, Lyndihop said:

Does anyone know if I purchase a private plan aside from the cruise line, I for instance have suffer a heart attack in Paris or wherever, do I have to pay upfront and then file a claim with the insurance company???

@Lyndihop first, love the name. Second, @riffatsea gave you the best answer. Each policy is different, but typically you have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed. I've actually done this (my wife broke her foot in Mexico) and the process was easy and painless. I always use the same insurance and have had 2 claims with them...no problems either time.

7 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Really? So @riffatsea just did something illegal? 🙂 

I am pretty sure you can give insurance advice without being licensed. I think the illegal thing is selling, soliciting, etc.

But I agree with what you said...either get a broker/agent or use Google.

@Lyndihop first, love the name. Second, @riffatsea gave you the best answer. Each policy is different, but typically you have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed. I've actually done this (my wife broke her foot in Mexico) and the process was easy and painless. I always use the same insurance and have had 2 claims with them...no problems either time.

It's like giving legal advise with being a lawyer -  everyone does it and you get what you pay for.  Thus the reason for licensing.   I didn't mean to criticize and should have said -  I don't give insurance recommendations as i'm not a licensed broker.

I'm sensitive to it as the President of an HOA who often get questions about what type of insurance a homeowner should obtain.  Our broker has cautioned us that the board could be sued if give out incorrect information and recommended we always send them to him to answer their questions.

I would hate anyone to rely on my advice and then find out they don't have the coverage they think they purchased.    There is so much fine print I often am not even sure what I purchased.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's like giving legal advise with being a lawyer -  everyone does it and you get what you pay for.  Thus the reason for licensing.   I didn't mean to criticize and should have said -  I don't give insurance recommendations as i'm not a licensed broker.

I'm sensitive to it as the President of an HOA who often get questions about what type of insurance a homeowner should obtain.  Our broker has cautioned us that the board could be sued if give out incorrect information and recommended we always send them to him to answer their questions.

I would hate anyone to rely on my advice and then find out they don't have the coverage they think they purchased.    There is so much fine print I often am not even sure what I purchased.

No worries...and I took it in the spirit you meant it. I put a smiley on my comments but hard to tell tone via text.

Like I said, I agree with your comments...

Almost all travel insurance is reimbursment with some exceptions whereas the insurance company may (at theri discretion) offer a letter of ability to pay.

GeoBlue does have a worldwide network where they can direct pay. However, in your example of a heart attack in Paris) there is no way that the emergency responders are going to take you to a known in network facility. They're just going to take you to the closest Level 1 trauma facility.

And in an emergency, who in your group is going to sit back and think about that. But, to answer your question, many people here have GeoBlue. I don't, because it's not sold in my State.

Many of us recommend a great broker who has helped thousands. Check out Steve, at Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Each policy is different and is often based on cost.   Would recommend speaking with a licensed Insurance Broker and have him advise which policy best meets your need.

Perhaps that is the case in the Peoples Republic of California, but it is not true anywhere else :).  Anyone can offer insurance advice, but one should carefully consider the source of that advice and always read policies (including definitions).  One also needs to be careful with brokers/agents since many have an ulterior motive which is to only sell the products that they offer, even when there are better options.   There are good brokers and lousy brokers, and one should conduct their due diligence when choosing brokers/agents. 

Hank

On 1/7/2023 at 11:28 AM, Lyndihop said:

Anyone use Geo Blue?

We have used GeoBlue (we purchase their annual policy) for many years.  Unfortunately, we have had to file two major claims (over several years) and GeoBlue quickly paid our claims (within 3 weeks).  

Hank

OP. Depends, but be prepared to pay up front.

My uncle had a heart attack, eventually passed away 3 nights later. The hospital would not release him to the mortician until the bill was paid in full, cash only. Eventually they accepted a wire transfer from the US. 

A friend of the family got sick and was unable to return to the US for several months. Since he was there for a long time, the travel insurance company eventually was able to make direct payments to the medical providers.

If you used the medical facilities on board the ship, they'll charge your on board account. It will be settled along with your other charges; you deal with the insurance company when you get home. If you can't settle your bill, they'll most likely make you sign a promissory note. 

In any and all cases be sure to save those bills and if possible your medical file too. Insurance adjusters love to see those bills. Don't know about records retention requirements in other countries, but it's a good bet in some places a week after you leave and the $$ clears, your records will be stored in a circular file.

Edited by Philob

On 1/8/2023 at 9:38 AM, Hlitner said:

We have used GeoBlue (we purchase their annual policy) for many years.  Unfortunately, we have had to file two major claims (over several years) and GeoBlue quickly paid our claims (within 3 weeks).  

Hank

We have the annual GeoBlue Trekker policy. Luckily we haven't had to use it...but feel good knowing it's there if we need to.

I have the GeoBlue coverage for annual medical. I haven’t had any claims with it.  Unfortunately, the emergency medical declines to $50,000 now that I am 70.

I haven’t found any provider providing a higher coverage for 70 and over.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for annual medical insurance with more coverage for the 70 and overs?

1 hour ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

I have the GeoBlue coverage for annual medical. I haven’t had any claims with it.  Unfortunately, the emergency medical declines to $50,000 now that I am 70.

I haven’t found any provider providing a higher coverage for 70 and over.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for annual medical insurance with more coverage for the 70 and overs?

The GeoBlue Trekker plans both drop to $100K per person after age 70 (not $50K).  For many people that is adequate coverage.  The single trip Voyageur plans let you buy more coverage if you are willing to pay the premium for each trip.

From https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com

image.png.150cdc0463da9bfc1f2e9854a4386610.png