Dress codes for dining room

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Anything but a bathing suit. I had a table mate show up in shorts for dress up night. Not a word was said.

For whatever reason its a bit different here in the UK. I saw people turned away from the MDR on Anthem in shorts over the summer.

• Like 1

Nope hubby wore shorts & sandals every night every cruise except formal night.  In fact our last cruise we decided we didn’t want to dress up so told our waitstaff we would eat elsewhere that night.  They insisted no one would care and to please come to the MDR.

• Like 1

We've been on Explorer and Indy recently.  On both -- I'm talking non-formal night -- most men were in dressy shorts /jeans and polo shirt/button down shirt.  Ladies were in dressy shorts /nice tops or sundresses.  A small minority -- mostly teens -- were in athleti-leisure.  

1 hour ago, fenton04 said:

In December when we were on the Vision.  The cruise compass formal night was noted to be "dress to impress".  To some fellow cruiser (not many) it was interpreted as a clean t-shirt.  Go figure.

I dress to impress no one.  I wear nice dress shorts and a polo or button up shirt.  I compliment those who choose to dress fancier.

If I wanna wear a tux, I'll sail cunard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess I am going to show my age here but I do not understand this obsession that some seem to have with wearing shorts to the main dining room.  What am I missing?  

Don't think it is about age, but rather the lack of respect.  When traveling outside the USA, the word suggestion means to do it.....but here, so many people want to warp the intent to doing what they want.  

I once saw a lady throw a fit, for being told they can't enter a place of worship, because she would not put a cover up on.  But that was one of many cases where someone from the USA, thought the suggestions weren't for them.  There are truely so many things I see when I travel, that I'm dumbfounded of why people do it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Joseph2017China I have witnessed the "Ugly American" mentality many times, especially overseas.  We've been on a couple of excursions, especially in Europe where women were required to cover their shoulders in order to go inside a place of worship and heard the uproars, even when it was clearly mentioned in the description of the excursion. 

It really does not matter to me if someone wears shorts, I just don't understand why anyone would insist on it when long pants just seem more appropriate for the venue.  Unless it is because someone says they should not and they don't like being told they cannot do something. 

1 minute ago, fenton04 said:

I stand by my statement QUE SERA, SERA.   I offer equal time to opposing viewpoints.

Doris, I had no idea you were even still alive and even more surprising you cruise with RC. I would never call you a Miss Goody Two-Shoes. 🤣

• Haha 2

Doris and I have no problem with cut off blue jean shorts in the MDR.  But only in conjunction with a CLEAN sleeveless muscle T-shirt.  The jury is still out if about bare feet with a pedicure.  Doris was a classy lady.  RIP.

Edited by fenton04
grammer
  • Haha 3

Last four cruises on the Anthem we dined in The Grande or the Icon and each and every night there were plenty of cargo and regular shorts along with flip flops. 

No real problem but a few looked just plain slovenly.

We go back to the formal days of gowns and suits or tuxes, and are very happy to see the rules have been relaxed, but sometimes it just looks a bit much.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess I am going to show my age here but I do not understand this obsession that some seem to have with wearing shorts to the main dining room.  What am I missing?  

My Opa always told me stories (backed up by photos) of back in the day when men wore suits and ties, and women wore nice dresses and high heels to go to sporting events. Judging by the photos alone people had MUCH lower BMI's back then which allowed for more comfort while wearing dressier attire. Quite a few people smoking indoors in those photos but hey, it was a long time ago and they didn't know any better. 

I don't understand the obsession either way. What someone else wears has zero effect on my dining experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fenton04 said:

Once we were on the navigator (not to be confused with the Cunard)  A  male table mate came to dinner in cut off blue jean shorts.  Que sera, sera.

Were they frayed at the bottom or neatly trimmed? I ask because it may affect the flavour profile of the reductions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Were they frayed at the bottom or neatly trimmed? I ask because it may affect the flavour profile of the reductions. 

The cut offs were the appetizer.  The legs themselves were a crime against nature.  That memory is seared in my brain.  Again QUE SERA, SERA.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

In my husbands case, it’s all he brings.  He will bring dress clothes if I insist but I don’t.  He’s worked hard all his life & if he wants to cruise in neat, clean shorts, that’s what he gets to do. Why oh why do people care??!!

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, springfire said:

Times have changed, and so has dining in the Main Dining Room.  Putting on a clean shirt is now my dress code.  Your on vacation,  enjoy and be comfortable 😉 

Cruises, flights, even sporting events used to be a place to be seen. A place to feel like you're a movie star.

Then people realized that being relaxed and anonymous was better than being a wannabe celebrity.

• Like 5