Worst cruise ever on Arcadia

jessybell

I do think comparing P&O to a Travelodge is a bit extreme. Yes there have been cut backs we've noticed it in the three cruises we've done since Covid however it's definitely not the worse cruise company in the mainstream market. The new ships maybe big but do offer may new facilities that offers a very good standard of holiday. The Arvia situation over Christmas was teething problems, like any new ship. Who remembers Aurora's maiden.... Not exactly brilliant... Did it even leave the English Channel. Britannia's maiden had issues onboard too. Friends currently on Arvia say everything is currently going smoothly in terms of the issues reported on the Christmas cruise. 

The OPs cruise on the other hand does sound like it's got issues and P&O do need to up there game in terms of onboard as people will start to move more to the like of princess. Arcadia does seem to be the issue ship at the moment and I'm sorry to hear of the issues. We experienced none of these on Britannia or Iona in 2022 always had good sized portions, after dinner mints or chocolate or shortbread, quite like the range. Can't blame the entertainment team for not being able to move events inside, venues could have been booked for other things and anyway, who has heard of indoor shuffleboard. Doesn't quite have the same appeal. I think this cruise in particular is the poisoned chalice of P&O itineraries. When we did the same trip on Aurora in 2017 we had to miss Amsterdam all together with an overnight in Zeebrugge (joys🙄). Think it could be time this itinerary is dropped in favor of a Xmas northern lights or something (like Aurora is doing next year). 

That's just my 5 pence thrown into the mix. Definitely dont compare P&O to a Travelodge, premier inn maybe but not Travelodge. Being fair, if it's that much of an issue there is always Cunard, Saga and Fred but I won't go down that rabbit hole as it's not the point of the OPs post. 

Hopefully the situation is sorting on Arcadia. Friends joining the worldie in Sydney. 

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

do think comparing P&O to a Travelodge

I think that the quote was referring to Travellodge having been a good budget brand who failed to maintain their properties and slid down the pecking order as a result.  Seems a pretty good comparison to P&O when you hear about Arcadia's plumbing problems, Ventura's ancient televisions etc.

Travellodge is not a bad brand offering reasonably priced accommodation to those needing a quick overnight stay.  I don’t believe comparing the companies is in any way derogatory - a bit like the Butlins, Ryanair etc al debate which raged on another thread a day or two ago.  It's just an example of how failed maintenance can change people's perception of what's on offer.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think that the quote was referring to Travellodge having been a good budget brand who failed to maintain their properties and slid down the pecking order as a result.  Seems a pretty good comparison to P&O when you hear about Arcadia's plumbing problems, Ventura's ancient televisions etc.

Travellodge is not a bad brand offering reasonably priced accommodation to those needing a quick overnight stay.  I don’t believe comparing the companies is in any way derogatory - a bit like the Butlins, Ryanair etc al debate which raged on another thread a day or two ago.  It's just an example of how failed maintenance can change people's perception of what's on offer.

Exactly that. It was essentially a reference to a shortsighted policy (forced on it by external cashflow problems) of maintenance cuts which ended up costing it its number one position in the market.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Exactly that. It was essentially a reference to a shortsighted policy (forced on it by external cashflow problems) of maintenance cuts which ended up costing it its number one position in the market.

And its number 2, 3 and 4 spot probably, as well.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Will agree with that. Definitely new policy for your reasons above definitely play the lead role. 

Just to clarify, I'm by no means saying the service the OP received on Arcadia was anywhere near acceptable. The exact opposite not what is to be expected from any place you for a holiday. 

12 hours ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

I do think comparing P&O to a Travelodge is a bit extreme. Yes there have been cut backs we've noticed it in the three cruises we've done since Covid however it's definitely not the worse cruise company in the mainstream market. The new ships maybe big but do offer may new facilities that offers a very good standard of holiday. The Arvia situation over Christmas was teething problems, like any new ship. Who remembers Aurora's maiden.... Not exactly brilliant... Did it even leave the English Channel. Britannia's maiden had issues onboard too. Friends currently on Arvia say everything is currently going smoothly in terms of the issues reported on the Christmas cruise. 

The OPs cruise on the other hand does sound like it's got issues and P&O do need to up there game in terms of onboard as people will start to move more to the like of princess. Arcadia does seem to be the issue ship at the moment and I'm sorry to hear of the issues. We experienced none of these on Britannia or Iona in 2022 always had good sized portions, after dinner mints or chocolate or shortbread, quite like the range. Can't blame the entertainment team for not being able to move events inside, venues could have been booked for other things and anyway, who has heard of indoor shuffleboard. Doesn't quite have the same appeal. I think this cruise in particular is the poisoned chalice of P&O itineraries. When we did the same trip on Aurora in 2017 we had to miss Amsterdam all together with an overnight in Zeebrugge (joys🙄). Think it could be time this itinerary is dropped in favor of a Xmas northern lights or something (like Aurora is doing next year). 

That's just my 5 pence thrown into the mix. Definitely dont compare P&O to a Travelodge, premier inn maybe but not Travelodge. Being fair, if it's that much of an issue there is always Cunard, Saga and Fred but I won't go down that rabbit hole as it's not the point of the OPs post. 

Hopefully the situation is sorting on Arcadia. Friends joining the worldie in Sydney. 

Happy Cruising! 

I do think that while there is always the scope for  issues with the mechanics etc of a new ship, P&O have more than enough experience launching them to be able to get the customer service side right.

Staffing levels, training etc are all management issues. This seems to me to be the biggest problem at the moment. 

• Like 5

Re moving outside activities indoors…….not saying shuffleboard or quoits but when we had bad weather on a Cunard voyage they cleared half the area by the indoor pool and put on some activities like Baggo and indoor skittles…….Arcadia’s entertainment team should have thought outside the box.  Fred does plenty of indoor activities such as carpet bowls and they also gave an indoor shuffleboard table on one ship……..

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:20 PM, Britboys said:

I don't recall seeing mention of such issues for the Queens Elizabeth and Victoria...

Maybe she's such a bad girl because she knows no-one wanted her when she was being built... 😉😀

We had buckets in the pub on Queen Victoria all the way from UK to Australia….8 years ago.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'll begin by saying, as some on here will already know, I am a P&O fan, however I admit that no-one, nor anything is perfect. If you have an issue with P&O, whether large or small you are entitled to voice it on a P&O forum, without being classed as 'P&O haters'

I have also had my problems with P&O, but it hasn't turned me into a 'hater'

The complainants on other forums are also 'haters' of their particular cruise line I assume.

Avril

I take your point and perhaps 'haters' was too strong a word, but it gets very tiresome when the usual suspects take every opportunity to criticise and tell us they will never sail on P&O again - there is 1 cruise line on which I will never sail again, but I don't haunt their forums to tell all and sundry.

If posters don't intend using P&O again, fair enough, I get it, but is there really any need to harp on and on about their decision?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Red Ray said:

If posters don't intend using P&O again, fair enough, I get it, but is there really any need to harp on and on about their decision?

Probably not Ray, and it isn't something that I or many others on here would ever do. There will always be those who are never, nor ever will be satisfied, and love nothing more than complain and whinge just for the sake of it. On the forums they are entitled to air their grievances regardless, and I simply ignore them and scroll past.

Avril

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Red Ray said:

I take your point and perhaps 'haters' was too strong a word, but it gets very tiresome when the usual suspects take every opportunity to criticise and tell us they will never sail on P&O again - there is 1 cruise line on which I will never sail again, but I don't haunt their forums to tell all and sundry.

You mention ‘usual suspects’ - that might have been the case some years ago when the odd person or two might have had particular grievances, but surely not now?

Far too many issues, and far too many different posters for that.

• Like 5

I was also on this cruise and agree with the OP on maintenance of the ship, entertainment and disappointment in missing ports. 

I was also surprised at the enforced table sharing in MDR for breakfast and lunch - even during a bad norovirus outbreak on the ship! Also, I found it worrying that there were no staff available for cleaning or sterilising tables in the buffet or bars between guests, and yet Noro cases kept raising....maybe the two are connected! 

It was my first P&O cruise and I'm not sure I would book another. If I did, definitely wouldn't revisit Arcadia. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We was on Britannia in October and she was in a really good state, the crew was painting the ship whilst at sea and when docked, the food was of good standard as for portion size ample for me, entertainment was of a very good standard apart from the singer in Brodie’s who I think thought we was all deaf.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We was on Britannia in October and she was in a really good state, the crew was painting the ship whilst at sea and when docked, the food was of good standard as for portion size ample for me, entertainment was of a very good standard apart from the singer in Brodie’s who I think thought we was all deaf.

We were on Britannia in October all very acceptable. Are you referring to the young singer/guitarist. If so, quite entertaining and competent,  but a bit samey. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Buskers seem to be popular on P&O lately. Same repertoire every day and far too loud!

The one on Britannia was rather good.  We got chatting to him as he was from Marlborough and we've seen his name locally.  My husband and I mentioned to him in conversation a couple of songs we like, not run of the mill busker fare and not only did he surprise us by knowing them but introduced them into his act.  Apparently he grew up in a very musical family and has a repertoire of hundreds of songs but was instructed by P&O to stick to 50 or so.  He was more flexible in the Atrium and happily took requests there, not so much in Brodies.

• Like 5

We also liked the busker. Often for requests he would say he would give it a go as long as we didn't mind if he got some of the words wrong. I don't remember him being loud in the atrium or round the pool. He was kicked out of Brodie's for football 

• Like 1

Red Ray…..we have been customers of P&O since Canberra days. I did not put my experience on Arcadia recently as a “hater” it was more to inform future cruisers on there what it was like for us.  We have done several long voyages on Arcadia in the past with no complaints.  We were just so disappointed this time.  I truly hope P&O will listen to all the complaints made onboard and bring the ship back to the standard it was.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The one on Britannia was rather good.  We got chatting to him as he was from Marlborough and we've seen his name locally.  My husband and I mentioned to him in conversation a couple of songs we like, not run of the mill busker fare and not only did he surprise us by knowing them but introduced them into his act.  Apparently he grew up in a very musical family and has a repertoire of hundreds of songs but was instructed by P&O to stick to 50 or so.  He was more flexible in the Atrium and happily took requests there, not so much in Brodies.

If he's from Marlborough, perhaps he will end up playing at Littlecote House.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jessybell said:

Red Ray…..we have been customers of P&O since Canberra days. I did not put my experience on Arcadia recently as a “hater” it was more to inform future cruisers on there what it was like for us.  We have done several long voyages on Arcadia in the past with no complaints.  We were just so disappointed this time.  I truly hope P&O will listen to all the complaints made onboard and bring the ship back to the standard it was.

Thanks for posting jessybell - I’m interested in peoples feedback - especially on Aurora and Arcadia as those are the 2 ships we always go on. 

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If he's from Marlborough, perhaps he will end up playing at Littlecote House.

The cruises and Warner's do seem quite interchangeable for entertainment. I recognise a lot of the names of entertainers at Warner's from the ships 

• Like 1