Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

On Iona at present and despite all the hype about spec restaurants being fully booked by 4:00 pm on embarkation day, that is a certainly not the case on this cruise. There is plenty of availability even into the 2nd week for most venues.

I think it very much depends on the nature of the cruise (destination, time of year) and varies by restaurant. I sailed on Azura ex Malta last September and Epicurian was noticable by its absence in the list of restaurants in Horizon. I assumed that it was closed until I passed the door one evening and observed it filled with diners. On enquiring I was informed that it was fully booked for the whole cruise before the ship set sail; many passengers had made multiple bookings.

37 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

How busy do you think it would feel with 30% more passengers, which is what we will have in August? 

The spec restaurants are likely to be less busy than normal, with more children on board the pay extra venues won't be quite as popular, but the Olive Grove could be fully booked.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

How busy do you think it would feel with 30% more passengers, which is what we will have in August? 

Well that was the case a few weeks ago and I definitely think they needed more staff. Service was very slow and as I mentioned before, tables were not being cleared for ages. Still had a great cruise though! 

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

Well that was the case a few weeks ago and I definitely think they needed more staff. Service was very slow and as I mentioned before, tables were not being cleared for ages. Still had a great cruise though! 

Hmmm. Not good. Whilst it was half term, there won’t have been as many passengers as August, so I hope that they get their act together by then! 

Just now, Selbourne said:

Hmmm. Not good. Whilst it was half term, there won’t have been as many passengers as August, so I hope that they get their act together by then! 

Unlikely if the crew quarters are already full! 

I'm wondering about the Chef's table experience. I'm sailing on Arvia soon and have never done a Chef's table.  What is it? From reading the description it seems to be the standard Celebration menu served in the MDR, except it's served in the buffet restaurant with tablecloths?? Is that it or is there input from Chefs; do you watch the cooking or some other special addition to the experience? Has anyone eaten at Chef's table and can enlighten me? I'd be interested if there was something going on but otherwise I'd rather eat in the MDR!

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think you can choose your dining preference on a Saver Fare.

You can with Early Saver but it is not guaranteed. However, on the rare occasions I have booked Saver and not got my preferred dining I have been able to change it once on board. No problem.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

You can with Early Saver but it is not guaranteed. However, on the rare occasions I have booked Saver and not got my preferred dining I have been able to change it once on board. No problem.

We have only booked a saver fare once. We were given 6.30 fixed dining. We got it change onboard with out any problems.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blueroses_1910 said:

I'm wondering about the Chef's table experience. I'm sailing on Arvia soon and have never done a Chef's table.  What is it? From reading the description it seems to be the standard Celebration menu served in the MDR, except it's served in the buffet restaurant with tablecloths?? Is that it or is there input from Chefs; do you watch the cooking or some other special addition to the experience? Has anyone eaten at Chef's table and can enlighten me? I'd be interested if there was something going on but otherwise I'd rather eat in the MDR!

Welcome to the boards.👋

The Chef's Table has been discussed many times in the last few months, so a quick search may bring back the answers you seek. In the search bar at the top right, just type in Chef's Table and choose to search in this forum.

Here are examples of returned searches...

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2903046-the-chefs-table-is-it-worth-booking/#comment-64542038

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2916552-live-report-iona-g305-canary-islands/page/2/#comment-64861773

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2908083-food-and-dining-on-po-ships/page/18/#comment-64856210

Edited by TigerB

16 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think you can choose your dining preference on a Saver Fare.

This is from my booking receipt:

"Early Savers receive second priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link http://www.pocruises.com/early-saver-dining/" 

And this link does not seem to work.

Thanks Fionboard and zapp99, hopefully if I get allocated fixed dining I will be able to change it onboard.

I have only ever been on fixed dining twice, on HAL in 2007 and P&O Oceana in 2009, then if I remember correctly we were allocated a fixed time in a specific restaurant with the same people, same table every night. Every other cruise I have been on since has had freedom dining, hence my inexperience.

If I do not get allocated freedom dining on Britannia does it mean I just get a fixed dining time or do  I get a fixed dining time with the same table/people every night, not sure how it works.

One of the things I really like about P&O, as a solo cruiser, is the option to share a table in the restaurant. With freedom dining I get to meet new people every night and that is possibly the best part of the holiday.

4 hours ago, TigerB said:

Welcome to the boards.👋

The Chef's Table has been discussed many times in the last few months, so a quick search may bring back the answers you seek. In the search bar at the top right, just type in Chef's Table and choose to search in this forum.

Here are examples of returned searches...

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2903046-the-chefs-table-is-it-worth-booking/#comment-64542038

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2916552-live-report-iona-g305-canary-islands/page/2/#comment-64861773

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2908083-food-and-dining-on-po-ships/page/18/#comment-64856210

Thank you so much,  I had tried to search but had searched 'chef table' and not found what I was looking for.  This was really helpful 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blueroses_1910 said:

Thank you so much,  I had tried to search but had searched 'chef table' and not found what I was looking for.  This was really helpful 🙂

I think the search works on exact spellings, so you have to change words and remove or add apostrophes to find just what you're after.

45 minutes ago, Blueroses_1910 said:

You might have also come across the original Chefs Table on P&O, which existed prior to Covid. This was very different to a gala night in the buffet! It was around £75 a head, restricted to around 12 guests and was held in a private dining room (such as the wine room adjacent to the Glass House on Aurora - not usually open to the public). It was an absolutely superb multi-course fine dining experience, with paired wines and lots of other nice touches, hosted by the Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. We did it twice and it was the best thing we’ve ever done on a P&O ship. I think we might give it’s name sake a miss 😂 

4 hours ago, GOQ said:

This is from my booking receipt:

"Early Savers receive second priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link http://www.pocruises.com/early-saver-dining/" 

And this link does not seem to work.

Thanks Fionboard and zapp99, hopefully if I get allocated fixed dining I will be able to change it onboard.

I have only ever been on fixed dining twice, on HAL in 2007 and P&O Oceana in 2009, then if I remember correctly we were allocated a fixed time in a specific restaurant with the same people, same table every night. Every other cruise I have been on since has had freedom dining, hence my inexperience.

If I do not get allocated freedom dining on Britannia does it mean I just get a fixed dining time or do  I get a fixed dining time with the same table/people every night, not sure how it works.

One of the things I really like about P&O, as a solo cruiser, is the option to share a table in the restaurant. With freedom dining I get to meet new people every night and that is possibly the best part of the holiday.

Same table, same time, same people. As a solo cruiser you get allocated to a table with other solo cruisers. As least you do if you request a large table (usually for eight).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Same table, same time, same people. As a solo cruiser you get allocated to a table with other solo cruisers. As least you do if you request a large table (usually for eight).

Those solo tables can be great but on two cruises did not turn out well. On one I overheard the ladies making derogatory remarks about my northern accent. It was formal night that evening so I arrived in my dinner jacket etc and remarked that northern peasants can dress well as you can see. A stunned silence although one lady was grinning and 😈

On the other occasion one lady was trying to boss the table and when the waiter asked her if she minded having the curtains behind her drawn as the sun was blinding other passengers she refused.  I never went back.

• Like 2

This the big advantage with Freedom dining, you mostly get to meet new people every day.

Going back to my original confusion, the P&O brochure lists all ships Except Iona and Arvia as freedom and club dining. Wading through P&O website it lists Britannia as freedom dining only, perhaps they have changed the dining arrangements, or the website is inaccurate.

FreedomPdf.pdf

Edited by GOQ
pdf file added

16 hours ago, davecttr said:

Those solo tables can be great but on two cruises did not turn out well. On one I overheard the ladies making derogatory remarks about my northern accent. It was formal night that evening so I arrived in my dinner jacket etc and remarked that northern peasants can dress well as you can see. A stunned silence although one lady was grinning and 😈

On the other occasion one lady was trying to boss the table and when the waiter asked her if she minded having the curtains behind her drawn as the sun was blinding other passengers she refused.  I never went back.

I've been very fortunate with my solos dining tables over the last 10 years, especially the first time I did it after my partner died. There should have been six of us on the table but two never turned up. The three ladies I shared the table with were all widows and very supportive to me on my first cruise as a widower.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GOQ said:

This the big advantage with Freedom dining, you mostly get to meet new people every day.

Going back to my original confusion, the P&O brochure lists all ships Except Iona and Arvia as freedom and club dining. Wading through P&O website it lists Britannia as freedom dining only, perhaps they have changed the dining arrangements, or the website is inaccurate.

FreedomPdf.pdf 73.49 kB · 6 downloads

As a solo, the idea of sitting with different people every night on Freedom Dining is my idea of a nightmare - even though I am a socially confident, outgoing person. Others will obviously differ though.

I haven't seen anything about Britannia becoming Freedom Dining only. Probably another P&O glitch.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Iona now opening Keel & Cow for breakfast. Some items are chargeable, others included.

Although I'm not going to be eating at a Keel & Cow, I'd find it interesting to know what sort of things they are charging for...

When we were on Iona in September last year, we were able to book a table in the MDR two weeks before departure.

We are back-on in 2 weeks and booking online has opened for Speciality Dining but MDRs all show 'Booking Not Required'.

Think our September cruise was an experiment and so I wonder if the system has changed back to the same routine as Freedom Dinging on other ships - either get a pager from the MDR each night or queue on the app.

Can anyone update me on the current system and how well it works please?

Also, the 710 club was bookable in advance last time - has this changed?

Thanks in advanace.

We were also on Iona in September on this experiment too, it was great and we booked 8pm each night. But the next cruise on her at the end of November was reverted back to the app or pagers. That said we have never waited long using the app but we do tend to eat earlier than we would desire as we don’t want to risk a big queue and not getting in until gone 9pm. Of the 4 cruises we have done on Iona it was my most relaxing cruise as I didn’t have to worry about getting into the restaurant in the evening and needing to have to continually look at my phone for our position in the queue.