Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

3 hours ago, happy v said:

You can not book MDR or Olive Grove before boarding on Iona. On board, join the app for MDR and book Olive Grove on the day. It does open from 12pm. I personally think it is a day restaurant rather than evening.

We were able to book Olive Grove before boarding Iona in February. I managed to book slots the very day they became available. Also pre-booked Epicurean and Limelight Club. 

Think people have to put things in perspective with regards to prices currently on the larger P&O ships. As some have mentioned £100 pppn in a balcony cabin which includes either free OBC, free parking or coach travel is excellent value for money. If you compare what you get on offer food prices you would find it very difficult to get a decent hotel with same food offerings for the same price. Recently compared prices for land based hotel holiday and had a shock at the prices. Currently on QM2 roundtrip TA and the food in Britannia restaurant is a lot higher standard than on our cruise on Iona in March.

• Like 3

Good heavens, reading through all of this it seems that P&O has made things really complicated on the two larger ships, particularly Arvia. They have probably made a rod for their own backs once people start cruising on both ships expecting to use the same processes for booking meals etc.

Makes me even happier that the simplicity of the two smallest ships are enough for me and I have no desire to sail on the biggies...

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Think people have to put things in perspective with regards to prices currently on the larger P&O ships. As some have mentioned £100 pppn in a balcony cabin which includes either free OBC, free parking or coach travel is excellent value for money. If you compare what you get on offer food prices you would find it very difficult to get a decent hotel with same food offerings for the same price. Recently compared prices for land based hotel holiday and had a shock at the prices. Currently on QM2 roundtrip TA and the food in Britannia restaurant is a lot higher standard than on our cruise on Iona in March.

I would partially agree except not all have these last minute bargain bucket fares.  I've spoken to a surprisingly large number who have been booked for a long time and have paid top price for their holidays, running into several thousands a head.  These people are not all old P&O returns either but a lot of families who've been saving to take their cruise for the first time and even some celebrating big events like wedding anniversaries, big birthdays etc.  

That said, the food in all venues I've tried to date has been very good with only one exception being a fish supper in the Quays where it was at best average.

I do agree though Majortom despite the good food here the quality and presentation on QM2 the week before I.joined Arvia was without fail a much higher standard.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I would partially agree except not all have these last minute bargain bucket fares.  I've spoken to a surprisingly large number who have been booked for a long time and have paid top price for their holidays, running into several thousands a head.  These people are not all old P&O returns either but a lot of families who've been saving to take their cruise for the first time and even some celebrating big events like wedding anniversaries, big birthdays etc.  

I have just checked my records for our deluxe Iona mid-ship balcony to the Canaries in March; it was £137.50 pppn on a 14 night cruise.  Oh and I purchased the basic internet package around £10 a day from memory.

We often shared tables at lunchtime and met any number of people who had booked last minute bargains at great rates and were keen to give details ('cheaper than staying at home' was oft quoted), and I was genuinely pleased for them.  But - and here's the rub, it would definitely affect the way I book with P&O in the future (if I do that is, but I currently have 2 already booked).

As I previously posted, one of my January Celebrity cruises came in at £155 pppn, including drinks package, internet and gratuities.  P&O included parking and gratuities.  I know which gave us better value for money. Caveat emptor.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Good heavens, reading through all of this it seems that P&O has made things really complicated on the two larger ships, particularly Arvia. They have probably made a rod for their own backs once people start cruising on both ships expecting to use the same processes for booking meals etc.

Makes me even happier that the simplicity of the two smallest ships are enough for me and I have no desire to sail on the biggies...

My perception is that it seems like quite hard work.  When I hear about all the different eating venues, I think it sounds good, but then I start wondering if they have to be booked before the cruise, or whether they are booked on board, or whether I have to get in the virtual queue. It seems very complex.  

I keep wondering about booking a week on Iona, to see for myself. Quite a few times I’ve almost convinced myself, then I back away again! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My perception is that it seems like quite hard work.  When I hear about all the different eating venues, I think it sounds good, but then I start wondering if they have to be booked before the cruise, or whether they are booked on board, or whether I have to get in the virtual queue. It seems very complex.  

I keep wondering about booking a week on Iona, to see for myself. Quite a few times I’ve almost convinced myself, then I back away again! 

It's not too complex really, on our last 2 Iona cruises, on one I booked nothing in advance, and on the second I did book one or two shows before the cruise. Both cruises went smoothly and other than the first night we encountered very little queueing for dinner, and the MDR virtual queue system worked fairly smoothly and we received confirmation that our table was ready within 10-20 minutes.

However the host stations don't seem to operate as efficiently as they could, we were directed to join some tables where others had already ordered, as well as having to sometimes wait for the table to fill up. I would have expected that when I say I am prepared to share a table, that the app would wait for all 6, 8 Or 10 passengers to be available before declaring our table is ready. Tables for 2 of course won't  have this problem.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

£100pppn  for a balcony cabin =£200 per night for the cabin. Lots of decent hotels around at that price.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We have a new dining option in the Quays this evening, I can't recall one of these anywhere else recently. 

20230525_074933.jpg

Is it a formal night? I wonder if they are trying to come up with solutions to take some pressure off the two MDRs?

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Is it a formal night? I wonder if they are trying to come up with solutions to take some pressure off the two MDRs?

Yes, tomorrow is formal and I'm pretty sure you are correct.

• Thanks 1

The Horizon buffet is under stress on celebration nights as well. The first week had the capacity reduced to a third of normal because of the Chefs Table but the second week it was slightly better. i guess people just gave up after the first week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

The Horizon buffet is under stress on celebration nights as well. The first week had the capacity reduced to a third of normal because of the Chefs Table but the second week it was slightly better. i guess people just gave up after the first week.

I wished we'd given up with Chefs Table for the second week.  Same menu as the first week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I get the impression lots are giving up on MDR.  I never normally go anywhere near the buffet but took a wander the night before last and it was extremely busy at 6.30pm.  I assume with a large number of children people are using it early for them.  

I think the general rules of thumb has been if you aren't in the queue early or have a prebooked slot you're going to struggle.  Of course you'll get in to eat eventually but with an average 2 hour dinner you run the risk won't get to any shows you may have booked.  Most of my reservation for dinner are 6.15 with the occasional 6.30.  I rarely get out of MDR until 8.10  only once by 8.00 and that was by my choice leaving my dinner companions there.

Whilst Olive Grove and the Diner are good the menus appear limited and don't change so one or two visits is enough.  This Tandoori option will presumably supplement well and I'm guessing they hope to move as many as possible across to the Quays.  It will be interesting to see how it works, hopefully it won't impact the regular Quays diners of which there appear to be many.

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

The menus in both changed at the end of the first week when we were on Arvia in April.

Fair enough. I'm in Olive Grove tonight and the menu I looked at this morning is the same as the one day 2.  It may be an example. I have no problem either way, I liked the menu and the food so whatever comes it will I'm sure be good.

We always book fixed dining, but are looking at a last minute deal on Arcadia where we would go for the Late Saver option, so would, I guess, end up in Flexible Dining.

The comments about the difficulty getting places in the MDR above seem to relate to the bigger ships.  Is it the same for Arcadia?

Edited by WestonOne

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Fair enough. I'm in Olive Grove tonight and the menu I looked at this morning is the same as the one day 2.  It may be an example. I have no problem either way, I liked the menu and the food so whatever comes it will I'm sure be good.

Land restaurants often have menu's that stay the same for weeks and weeks. We rotate a number of restaurants and pick different things.  We book tables, just like on a cruise. Up the pub for lunch. New menu, prices higher. Just like a cruise. We deal with it and don't let problems spoil our life.

15 hours ago, zap99 said:

£100pppn  for a balcony cabin =£200 per night for the cabin. Lots of decent hotels around at that price.

Not up to the standard of a cruise and serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, midnight snacks and if you go hungry room service. Plus all the entertainment on offer. Sorry but you couldn't get a decent hotel in UK for that price and looking abroad you might get a hotel package including flights and BBEM if you are lucky. It can cost £50pppn in a Premier Inn room only and a very basic room at that with no food at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

That said, the food in all venues I've tried to date has been very good with only one exception being a fish supper in the Quays where it was at best average.

I do agree though Majortom despite the good food here the quality and presentation on QM2 the week before I.joined Arvia was without fail a much higher standard.

Well I have just paid balance of cruise on Arvia in September which was booked on brochure release and have paid not much more than £100pppn which included free parking and an amount of OBC for Select balcony cabin. IMO excellent value.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not up to the standard of a cruise and serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, midnight snacks and if you go hungry room service. Plus all the entertainment on offer. Sorry but you couldn't get a decent hotel in UK for that price and looking abroad you might get a hotel package including flights and BBEM if you are lucky. It can cost £50pppn in a Premier Inn room only and a very basic room at that with no food at all.

Sorry, but if you look on a booking site, your choices seem limitless in the UK. We have booked  a week 4* AI in Majorca for about £150 per room per night. As for a Premier Inn.🤔

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry, but if you look on a booking site, your choices seem limitless in the UK. We have booked  a week 4* AI in Majorca for about £150 per room per night. As for a Premier Inn.🤔

If you can find me a hotel for £100ppnn with decent food and where the scenery changes every night while I sleep, I'm in.  But if you can't, I think I'll probably stick to cruising.  😁

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

If you can find me a hotel for £100ppnn with decent food and where the scenery changes every night while I sleep, I'm in.  But if you can't, I think I'll probably stick to cruising.  😁

We do several different types of holiday,including cruises.

Excuse me if I sound completely stupid asking this question but, as regards booking meals etc on the app, when onboard, does that mean you have to buy an internet package, or is the service free to everyone?

Thank you.