YC Butler

PTC DAWG

What is the sweet spot for tipping the Butler?  First time for the Bride and I sailing with a Butler..any ballpark numbers appreciated. 7 day cruise out of Canaveral. Really have no idea how much or little we will use services..I could see a few meal deliveries, etc for sure.. $100 for the week sound fair? 

Who in the YC would I talk to if I wanted to eat in the Steak House etc during the week?  

Any advice appreciated.  

TIPS

Not sure you will get just one answer on that one.

Be aware there are two butlers. Your Butler and the Junior Butler.

We tip both. On our last cruise, when we tipped Butler, he disclosed that he and junior butler pool all tips. He felt that was fair as junior butler is the one who services the cabin each day and delivered room service.

We tipped $200 and $100 respectively.
As far as having meals delivered, be aware that MSC does not serve meals in cabin in YC. Pizza is the exception. 
There are no table and chairs to eat a proper meal.

just sofa and coffee table.

You will be able to order room service for breakfast. We had standing breakfast room service order. 

If you want reservation for Butchers Cut, just go to Concierge and arrange through them. 
Any question or issues, Concierge is your friend.

Happy cruising.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, phissy said:

TIPS

Not sure you will get just one answer on that one.

Be aware there are two butlers. Your Butler and the Junior Butler.

We tip both. On our last cruise, when we tipped Butler, he disclosed that he and junior butler pool all tips. He felt that was fair as junior butler is the one who services the cabin each day and delivered room service.

We tipped $200 and $100 respectively.
As far as having meals delivered, be aware that MSC does not serve meals in cabin in YC. Pizza is the exception. 

You will be able to order room service for breakfast. We had standing breakfast room service order. 

If you want reservation for Butchers Cut, just go to Concierge and arrange through them. 
Any question or issues, Concierge is your friend.

Happy cruising.

Thanks..

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

What is the sweet spot for tipping the Butler?  First time for the Bride and I sailing with a Butler..any ballpark numbers appreciated. 7 day cruise out of Canaveral. Really have no idea how much or little we will use services..I could see a few meal deliveries, etc for sure.. $100 for the week sound fair? 

Who in the YC would I talk to if I wanted to eat in the Steak House etc during the week?  

Any advice appreciated.  

Tipping the butler and his assistant is totally dependent on the services rendered.  If you have a butler that does not do much then your daily service charge will suffice.  If your butler is good then $100 or more for 1 week depending on the service…same with the assistant.  Tipping above the daily service charge is completely up to your discretion and the quality of the service rendered.  You should never feel obligated if the service is below par and you will know if it is lacking.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Any advice appreciated.  

Hello from fellow PTC cruiser.  I’ve sailed in YC about 25 times with several more booked.  Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the YC experience.   I think my email can be found in my profile.  Click on my screen name.  Happy cruising. 

• Like 1

Another thing about the YC Butlers. Over a 7-day cruise you will very likely be helped by other butlers in addition to your cabin assigned area. They will all get to know as will the Topsail servers, the bartenders, the restaurant servers, the One Pool attendants, the Concierge staff, and the One Pool servers. So it is good you are thinking ahead about you immediate Butler and Junior Butler, but be prepared that there may be other staff you want to offer an extra thank you.

About Butcher’s Cut…..  we sometimes even pass on our free Diamond perk meal at the Butcher’s Cut.  We like the steaks in the YC Restaurant just as well. We find Butcher’s cut to be too crowded. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, phissy said:

Our experience was different while on Virtuosa in YC Duplex suite. There was a dining table and we could be served full breakfast and room service in there. So I guess it depends on which cabin is booked.

We have sailed the Yacht Club several times and have always tipped the butler and junior butler.  Never less than $100 and sometimes more....depending on service.  This last time on Meraviglia was the first time we didn't tip our butler.  He did not do any of the special things that our other butlers have done in the past.  No champaigne on ice waiting for us, no bottle of alchohol (he said you can drink from the bar), didn't even acknowledge us...we had to call him to meet him on the second day.  Oh and first day on arrival our toilet was dirty from previous passengers...ewwwww.  He was clearly busy with other things.  Even on the last day when we were waiting to debark he walked right past us without acknowledgment...worst butler service ever!!!!  Sadly we had 2 cabins in the Yacht club and had him for both.  I don't normally complain to cruise lines but I did this time.  His service was awful.

Edited by ginger123snaps
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Our experience was different while on Virtuosa in YC Duplex suite. There was a dining table and we could be served full breakfast and room service in there. So I guess it depends on which cabin is booked.

Exactly the same in a Deluxe Suite on Virtuosa.  We have had room service meals delivered to the suite by the butler with no difficulty at all throughout our current cruise.  Furthermore, when bad weather for a couple of days across the Bay of Biscay pretty much confined me to my cabin, the butler said that I could order whatever I liked from the YC Restaurant Menu and he would serve it in my cabin.  I'm not sure why it would be any different on any other ship - in my experience across YC on 4 different ships, the staff will bend over backwards to please you.  The table in a Virtuosa Deluxe Suite is more than big enough for 2 to eat a full meal from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ginger123snaps said:

This last time on Meraviglia was the first time we didn't tip our butler.  

We didn't tip our butler on Meraviglia either.  In fact, we never saw him/her...not once.  In contrast, we tipped our butler team $20 per day on our Seashore cruise and we also tipped the bartenders in the TSL as well.  They knew our names and had our drinks at the ready...every...single...time.  

• Like 1

This is always a contentious topic.  You will likely notice that most of the folks who post about giving big tips to Butlers (and other staff) are from the USA.  We, in the USA, have a tipping culture that has long embraced generous tipping.   But, keep in mind that those of us in the USA are in the minority when it comes to tipping culture.  Around the world most tipping cultures call for much smaller or even no tipping.

Also keep in mind that on MSC, you already are assessed a daily gratuity (sometimes called DSC) which goes into a pool that is distributed to staff based on an internal (and secret) formula.  Whether you chose to give additional tips is a personal decision but not required.  

Hank

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This is always a contentious topic.  You will likely notice that most of the folks who post about giving big tips to Butlers (and other staff) are from the USA.  We, in the USA, have a tipping culture that has long embraced generous tipping.   But, keep in mind that those of us in the USA are in the minority when it comes to tipping culture.  Around the world most tipping cultures call for much smaller or even no tipping.

Also keep in mind that on MSC, you already are assessed a daily gratuity (sometimes called DSC) which goes into a pool that is distributed to staff based on an internal (and secret) formula.  Whether you chose to give additional tips is a personal decision but not required.  

Hank

Too true.  I'm from the UK.  We are just coming to the end of 21 nights in the YC.  The staff have been fantastic.  But, they are paid a salary to deliver the service they do and I've also paid the DSC in advance, from which they all benefit.  I understand the different tipping cultures and why some feel the urge to reward staff over and above, so would not criticize any who do that.  But, neither do I feel the need to pay someone twice for doing their job.

• Like 1

We were charged 14.50 for the last week on the Seascape.

Also found out you can order from the YC restaurant menu being served and they will call your butler to pick up and serve in your room.  Used this last week as I had a swollen foot and didn't feel like going to the restaurant.

14 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

" . . . didn't even acknowledge us...we had to call him to meet him on the second day."

If I don't meet/hear from the butler by embarkation dinner, I won't meet that butler at all.

I'll be meeting the replacement butler.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

The just raised AGAIN to 12 EUR/14 USD.

For YC service, that's low. Only one or two lines are lower. The rest charge more or include the service fee in the fare, which just raises the cost of the cruise, anyway.

42 minutes ago, CarolnLarry said:

We were charged 14.50 for the last week on the Seascape.

Also found out you can order from the YC restaurant menu being served and they will call your butler to pick up and serve in your room.  Used this last week as I had a swollen foot and didn't feel like going to the restaurant.

Still a bargain...other lines are higher for non suite daily service charges.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

"Oh and first day on arrival our toilet was dirty from previous passengers...ewwwww."

Far, far less acceptable than just the absent butler. If I ever encounter that, it will be straight to the hotel director.

Pre-paid gratuities are even less for the YC servies. We paid €70 for the 7-days cruise in advance. That's €10 per day.

If there is something wrong about the cabin just contact your butler. He or she will make sure any issues will be solved.

5 hours ago, no1talks said:

For YC service, that's low. Only one or two lines are lower. The rest charge more or include the service fee in the fare, which just raises the cost of the cruise, anyway.

Yes, but from the cruise lines that we consider, MSC is the only one that charges a service fee. All other  Europeans plus Celebrity only publish the final price. But sure you are right, as Non-Americans cannot adjust MSCs service fee (or even cancel) it is nothing else but a part of the cruise price. 

So MSC should just stop this adventising:
Cruise price € 415 p.p. + Hotel service charge (€ 84) TOTAL PRICE: € 499 p.p.

Who reads this on their website and thinks "Wow, only € 415"? 😄