Awful food on oasis

I'm solo so the WJ suits me. Different ships and areas, the menu at night changes.

I was on Voyager in Sept/Oct for 5 weeks. I left from Copenhagen to Boston and stayed on for 3 weeks up the N England coast.

In Europe the theme nights were different to when we arrived in Boston. The 3 weeks from Boston, a lot more Indian choices and some Thai nights. Pot pies disappeared and different soups. Clam Chowder was an obvious addition.

Talking to a chef I had met in April on Voyager and talked about the temp of the food.

The reply was, Voyager was in Cyprus for 2 years and they didn't use the kitchens. When they turned everything to resume cruising from Barcelona, not a lot was working. They tried and ordered new heat lamps for the WJ. However the supply was difficult. They did get it sorted eventually. The difference from 16 nights in April to 5 weeks in September was night and day. Crew changes and maintainance is a big part of the quality of the food.

I also asked about the lack of salt. I was told they were instructed to let the passengers add it to taste themselves. I said, some dishes need salt whilst cooking, and he totally agreed. 

I found some dishes quite bland

16 hours ago, Gemrac9693 said:

Windjammer food is basic at best, it's a battle to get a table and who designed the food islands and while I'm on it there is not enough seats anywhere and trying to get beds in solarium is hard work 

How were the shows?

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Soliciting for a ***** page is generally frowned upon here, so I'd say no😉

Most jammers do a good job with the asian stir fry stations and the pasta bar. That's about all.

John, you’ve got to try the roasted chicken.  Moist, flavorful and I don’t know what kind of crack they sprinkle on it but I could eat until I explode!  It is just delicious.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

John, you’ve got to try the roasted chicken.  Moist, flavorful and I don’t know what kind of crack they sprinkle on it but I could eat until I explode!  It is just delicious.

Seem to find that on boarding day if we're not in CK. It's fine, sometimes the parts are cut funny. But I still don't think its any better than the rotisserie chicken at GC

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

Ok I’ve never been to a GC so no frame of reference there.  

Yea, none in CT. They are in about 40 states.

Springfield, MA and Manchester, NH. Lots in NY

And FWIW, the clientele in the GC's I've been to seems to mirror the current jammer crowds

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Where do you find a $5 breakfast and a $10 lunch other than fast food? And where can you get $5 drinks?

I just used those as lowball figures. In fact, if I used higher realistic costs, that makes my posting more cost effective 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yea, none in CT. They are in about 40 states.

Springfield, MA and Manchester, NH. Lots in NY

And FWIW, the clientele in the GC's I've been to seems to mirror the current jammer crowds

Yes the Springfield location is about 10 miles from me.  Just no desire to go.  Really the only buffet I ever go to is WJ for bacon & roasted chicken!!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Golden Corral is so much better than Windjammer.  Seriously

Yep.

19 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Seriously!! I’ve heard this from so many!

Now I just want the new MDR menus to be good real bad

Sorry.

Just saying....some of the food quality problems may be from where the food supply is obtained. Some areas have drought and some have monsoons and some have war. There may be supply train issues. This may affect the food quality that the ship obtains.

20 hours ago, bigeck said:

I've never been on Oasis but booked the Ta in April . Good price, worth a look'

Symphony transatlantic this coming March was very cheap.  Its more now  but was  around £500 for a balcony for 12 nights 

Edited by sgmn

On 1/21/2023 at 4:13 PM, Oxo said:

Other cruise lines are no different. We cruised RCI, MSC, NCL and Celebrity in 2022. Doing the same Cruise Lines this year. Try others to see and hear the same complaints. 

I can't find a better value than i get on a cruise. Seven days with booze pkg, wifi, balcony, OBC that reduces price, and on some paid gratitues for less than $1,000 per person. 

Go out to a restaurant for 3 meals a day, a motel room for a night, and a couple drinks.

Breakfast > $5/person

Lunch > $10/person

Dinner > $20/person

Motel in Miami >$250/night

Drink >$5/drink

Multiply x 7 = NO COMPLAINS. EXCELLENT!

OPINIONS?

Where did you find a drink for $5 in Miami?  I live in the area and it looks like your prices are on the low side. I wish!  I do agree that cruising is a good value. Especially if you have C&A benefits.

23 hours ago, poocher said:

For people on low-sodium diets who crave salt, it was probably MSG and soy sauce with extra salt added. 😁 Forbidden fruit always taste the best and the "I am on vacation" phrase is an easy way to justify it for one week. 🤣 

On 1/21/2023 at 6:07 PM, md80fan said:

I was just on Oasis and would agree that some of the food (but not all) was not as good as in past cruises.  In fact our family talked with a couple of other couples during the trip and they all agreed that some of the food was noticeably worse. I thought the prime rib and NY steak in the main dining room was very good but some of the food in Windjammer was not hitting the mark.

The quality and taste on Oasis was a hit or miss.  Sailed her in October & December and some of the standard dishes where inedible.  For instance, you mention the NY Strip as being very good. Mine both in the MDR and lunch with Officers was veiny and quite chewy.  Also, I found the Pork Chops on Allure, Anthem and Oasis quite dry and tough.  As mentioned, before I'm not a chef but I can do a better job with Shake and Bake.

Going to miss the following wonderful entree from the old menu--Seafood Linguine with Marinara Sauce.

1179927433_image0(2).jpeg.32c77a8177c9b4e44e4b8fbb7fb6cd0c.jpeg

Ps.  I still enjoy cruising with Royal.  

On 1/21/2023 at 11:03 PM, GetToLivin said:

Windjammer is hit and miss for sure. On Harmony we didn't think it was that great, on Allure it was much better (by comparison).

and we thought just the opposite. WJ on Harmony in Nov 2021 was spectacular by RCI standards, but we were unpleasantly surprised by the Allure's WJ selections and quality in June 2022. It could be the post pandemic supply problems, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

Symphony transatlantic this coming March was very cheap.  Its more now  but was  around £500 for a balcony for 12 nights 

That was a good deal. I have friends on it. I'm on Eaxplorer in April.

I'm £975 solo for a balcony. If I take off share holders Obc and C&A drinks. It makes it cheaper

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, Gemrac9693 said:

We had a great time, getting off and visiting the islands was the highlight of the cruise, we liked the portside BBQ best so wasn't all bad and the drinks were good, just got a bit repetitive on the boardwalk,it was constantly loud no quiet bars to visit,think people need to try other cruise lines to compare different things,as the comedian said in blaze RC are the Walmart of the seas enough said 

We went to vintages most evenings and it was always nice and quiet in there on our sailing.

8 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Where did you find a drink for $5 in Miami?  I live in the area and it looks like your prices are on the low side. I wish!  I do agree that cruising is a good value. Especially if you have C&A benefits.

I never said that I used prices from Miami. I used those prices as a lowball figures.

• Haha 1