Please Help with flying to Europe for Cruise

kjquilts

We are booked on the Norwegian Star for 15 night cruise commencing April 15, 2023 from Trieste, Italy to Lisbon, Portugal.  We've cruised with NCL 23 times and never used their air.  For this cruise we did purchase the air for $1,400 for the two of us.  We are 74 and 76 and have only been to Europe once for a transatlantic cruise from Copenhagen to New York a few years ago on Princess.  Princess air handling was great, I chose the flights on Princess website and everything worked out wonderfully.

The more I read about NCL air on the Norwegian Cruise Line board (and here) the more worried I get.  We did do two day deviation on either end of the cruise and current plan is fly to Venice, stay two nights in Venice, take the train to Trieste, do the cruise, spend two nights in LIsbon and then fly home.   We have hotel/apartment rooms booked.  Our home airport is PDX  (Portland, Oregon).

We have not been provided any flight information by NCL and I'm guessing it may be another month.  I believe right now we are in the 50% penalty if we cancel the NCL air.  Our best friends forever are also booked on the cruise and also took NCL air.  We are sharing lodging at both ends of the cruise.  It is looking doubtful that we will all be booked on the same aircraft.  Our friends may keep the NCL air to save money.

All of our cruises have been easy to do air.  Caribbean from the US, Alaska, Pacific Coastals and a wonderful Boston to New Orleans.   Can you give a worried old lady an idea where to start with air for this cruise if we book it ourselves.

Thank you very much.

Karen

Edited by kjquilts
correct Spain to Portugal

You are less than 3 months away? You have air booked with NCL, with a penalty for cancelation? Not seeing much choice in doing anything at this point.

I would get familiar with matrix ita. That is going to be your best source for starting a fast search if any problems occur. It looks like you have a couple options coming and going, for reasonable prices, generally going through AMS.

1 hour ago, kjquilts said:

We are booked on the Norwegian Star for 15 night cruise commencing April 15, 2023 from Trieste, Italy to Lisbon, Portugal.  We've cruised with NCL 23 times and never used their air.  For this cruise we did purchase the air for $1,400 for the two of us.  We are 74 and 76 and have only been to Europe once for a transatlantic cruise from Copenhagen to New York a few years ago on Princess.  Princess air handling was great, I chose the flights on Princess website and everything worked out wonderfully.

The more I read about NCL air on the Norwegian Cruise Line board (and here) the more worried I get.  We did do two day deviation on either end of the cruise and current plan is fly to Venice, stay two nights in Venice, take the train to Trieste, do the cruise, spend two nights in LIsbon and then fly home.   We have hotel/apartment rooms booked.  Our home airport is PDX  (Portland, Oregon).

We have not been provided any flight information by NCL and I'm guessing it may be another month.  I believe right now we are in the 50% penalty if we cancel the NCL air.  Our best friends forever are also booked on the cruise and also took NCL air.  We are sharing lodging at both ends of the cruise.  It is looking doubtful that we will all be booked on the same aircraft.  Our friends may keep the NCL air to save money.

All of our cruises have been easy to do air.  Caribbean from the US, Alaska, Pacific Coastals and a wonderful Boston to New Orleans.   Can you give a worried old lady an idea where to start with air for this cruise if we book it ourselves.

Thank you very much.

Karen

I am not familiar with NCL air program specifically, but when I booked flights using Choice air (Celebrity) I was given flights while I was on the phone, at the time of booking & immediately got an email with the details.  I was  then able to log into the airline sight to see that they had the booking, add my frequent flyer number, etc.  When I book with Silversea it's usually more than a year out so I don't get the flight details until about 8-9 months before the cruise.  As you are within 3 months I would think you should have that information by now.

Are you saying you haven't been given specific flight data?  If that is the case I would call the air program ASAP and find out what is going on.   I hope it works out for you.

Edited by mchell810

14 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I am not familiar with NCL air program specifically, but when I booked flights using Choice air (Celebrity) I was given flights while I was on the phone, at the time of booking & immediately got an email with the details.  I was  then able to log into the airline sight to see that they had the booking, add my frequent flyer number, etc.  When I book with Silversea it's usually more than a year out so I don't get the flight details until about 8-9 months before the cruise.  As you are within 3 months I would think you should have that information by now.

Are you saying you haven't been given specific flight data?  If that is the case I would call the air program ASAP and find out what is going on.   I hope it works out for you.

Unfortunately that is how NCL air on their usual promo buy one get one free works ..... you have no choice in what flight you get and you don't usually hear until somewhere around 45 days before flight   I've learned you usually get worst seats on worst flight, often are not seated together and unless in same stateroom often not on same flights  

NCL does have a premium air department.  I'm not sure how it works but that isn't what we purchased.

We were originally booked on a different NCL ship on 15 day transatlantic followed by 7 day med cruise but switched day final payment was due on the T/A to the 15 day Trieste to Lisbon cruise.  Final payment was due date we switched.

3 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

Unfortunately that is how NCL air on their usual promo buy one get one free works ..... you have no choice in what flight you get and you don't usually hear until somewhere around 45 days before flight   I've learned you usually get worst seats on worst flight, often are not seated together and unless in same stateroom often not on same flights  

NCL does have a premium air department.  I'm not sure how it works but that isn't what we purchased.

We were originally booked on a different NCL ship on 15 day transatlantic followed by 7 day med cruise but switched day final payment was due on the T/A to the 15 day Trieste to Lisbon cruise.  Final payment was due date we switched.

I had no idea they worked like that.  For me the stress of not knowing flights and seat assignments would be too much.  I hope you get a good flight.

Is it possible to cancel the air, even with a 50% penalty, and start over on your own?  If that's something you're willing to consider doing, then many here can give you advice on how to start your own search for other flights that you book on your own.  That said, you might not want to cancel the NCL air until you've done some initial searching, to see what pricing you're able to get this close to your departure date.

54 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Is it possible to cancel the air, even with a 50% penalty, and start over on your own?  If that's something you're willing to consider doing, then many here can give you advice on how to start your own search for other flights that you book on your own.  That said, you might not want to cancel the NCL air until you've done some initial searching, to see what pricing you're able to get this close to your departure date.

That is what I was thinking about doing .... the matrix ita suggestion in post #2 is a place to start.  I wouldn't cancel the NCL air unless I found acceptable flights that we can afford.

I know happy people don't usually come and tell CC so maybe I'm worrying for nothing

but there have been some scary posts lately.  At least we did do the two day deviation but we want to enjoy Venice so hopefully will really have two nights there.

• Like 2

If you are flying out of PDX, Delta has a non-stop flight to Amsterdam and British Air has a non-stop flight London Heathrow.  Both airlines should have connections to your destination, however, overseas airfare is very expensive now.

Air Canada would be another option out of Portland, through Toronto.  You would have one connection.  In Toronto coming from the US going to Europe you stay in the international concourse and there is no customs/immigration.  Coming back you would clear US customs/immigration in Toronto but unlike US airport bag are automatically transferred.

I would assume some of the US airlines also offer one stop options.   

NCL's air is a disaster no matter how you look at it.  Even people traveling together but in different cabins aren't guaranteed to be on the same flights.  If you're willing to lose the money, I'd book my own air on flights that you're comfortable with and you'll KNOW what you get.

Other cruise lines' air programs allow you to choose your flights and travel dates, sometimes for no extra charge other than the airfare.

It's always Caveat Emptor but in the case of NCL's air, it's a no from me.

22 hours ago, kjquilts said:

That is what I was thinking about doing .... the matrix ita suggestion in post #2 is a place to start.  I wouldn't cancel the NCL air unless I found acceptable flights that we can afford.

I know happy people don't usually come and tell CC so maybe I'm worrying for nothing

but there have been some scary posts lately.  At least we did do the two day deviation but we want to enjoy Venice so hopefully will really have two nights there.

I hope you'll come back and let us know what you've decided to do, after researching other flight options.  

@kjquiltsI hear you and would also be a bit nervous.  Our experience with cruise airfare is only with Carnival so I can't really help you too much. We've done it successfully once with the second one scheduled for this August. I do know that it took a few weeks to get my email flight confirmation with my Carnival planner doing some nudging.  I can't pick seats yet but my wife and I will be on the same plane and it shows up on their website as I do have a 7 digit confirm code.  It'll be summer before it actually gets ticketed.

I will say that you have excellent cushions built into your schedule.  For Europe, we typically fly over a minimum of 2-3 days early.

Edited by jsglow

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

I'd be a bit concerned.  Airline locators are six characters, not seven.  And tickets are 13 digits.

Thanks for correcting me Flyer.  I was doing that out of memory.  6 digits then. 👍

On 1/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, kjquilts said:

At least we did do the two day deviation but we want to enjoy Venice so hopefully will really have two nights there.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Venice.

I will say though that flying 10 hrs. thru 9 time zone has kicked mine and my wife's butts. I don't think we got out of bed for 2 days just trying to recover from jet lag. I know we missed our planned tour on day 2.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, klfrodo said:

Hope you have a wonderful time in Venice.

I will say though that flying 10 hrs. thru 9 time zone has kicked mine and my wife's butts. I don't think we got out of bed for 2 days just trying to recover from jet lag. I know we missed our planned tour on day 2.

It IS difficult and I don't do well at all with time change.  We have successfully 'time adjusted' by revising our sleep schedule in the week or two prior to our departure. Yes, we're fortunate to be retired and able to do that.  The technique involves moving our bedtime (and early morning alarm) back an hour a day until we are essentially on Euro time BEFORE we ever leave.  That means in the 2-3 days prior to departure we're heading to bed at around 5p getting up and active something like 2a.  We use a daylight lamp to fool our body clock in those wee hours.

What that means for us is that while we lose most of one night's sleep on the overnight flight, it does successfully allow us to go to bed at what feels like a normal hour the first overnight in Europe and get up on day #2 feeling 'good'.

Obviously coming back is different as one doesn't use one's time in Europe to adjust. So we just take our time when we get back home. Usually takes me a full week. Like I said, I don't do well with time change.

We are from Portland OR.  We booked our own air so we have control over it.  We are also flying home from Lisbon.  Different Cruise.  What we are doing is flying from Lisbon to JFK on Delta (direct) Spending a night in a hotel near the airport and then flying to PDX the next day. We decided to do the last part of our trip on Alaska Air.  We also wanted to break up the long trip into two manageable segments. 
We could have done it on Delta with the nonstop from AMS but it makes for a really long day and a possible snafu in AMS if anything is delayed and you have a marathon run through Schipol Airport coming from Lisbon with 1hr40 min. connection.  We are also in our early 70’s!! 
We flew twice last year through AMS to PDX and it is a good flight but we started there.  The Airport Scene was a nightmare in July but the flight itself was good.  Delta segment  Lisbon to AMS is operated by KLM.  

Edited by mauimary

21 minutes ago, mauimary said:

We are from Portland OR.  We booked our own air so we have control over it.  We are also flying home from Lisbon.  Different Cruise.  What we are doing is flying from Lisbon to JFK on Delta (direct) Spending a night in a hotel near the airport and then flying to PDX the next day. We decided to do the last part of our trip on Alaska Air.  We also wanted to break up the long trip into two manageable segments. 
We could have done it on Delta with the nonstop from AMS but it makes for a really long day and a possible snafu in AMS if anything is delayed and you have a marathon run through Schipol Airport coming from Lisbon with 1hr40 min. connection.  We are also in our early 70’s!! 
We flew twice last year through AMS to PDX and it is a good flight but we started there.  The Airport Scene was a nightmare in July but the flight itself was good.  Delta segment  Lisbon to AMS is operated by KLM.  

You can book Delta as an open jaw flight. 
PDX-AMS- Rome 

Home Lisbon -Portland. 

We received our flight assignments from NCL and aside from the short time between flights in Heathrow they aren't bad.  We're booked on same flights as our traveling companions so that's a plus.   

Flight info as follows

Portland, Oregon to Venice, Italy

BA 266 Economy BA PORTLAND (PDX) 04/12/23 7:10pm LONDON, HEATHROW (LHR) 04/13/23 12:35pm

BA 468 Economy BA LONDON, HEATHROW (LHR) 04/13/23 2:15pm VENICE (VCE) 04/13/23 5:35pm

Lisbon, Portugal to Portland, Oregon

BA 501 Economy BA LISBON (LIS) 05/02/23 11:05am LONDON, HEATHROW (LHR) 05/02/23 1:55pm

BA 267 Economy BA LONDON, HEATHROW (LHR) 05/02/23 3:30pm PORTLAND (PDX) 05/02/23 5:20pm

BA 266 out of Portland is often delayed which concerns me about making the next flight.  Although we're allowed a checked bag we're going to do carry on only.

Next challenge I would love help on is picking seats .... BA 266 is Boeing 777.   The economy seat configuration shows 40 rows with 3, 4, 3 in rows 25 -35.   Total of 40 rows in economy, all but one of the two seaters are booked.  We need to be able to put a bag under seat in front of us and I can't tell which seats have equipment under them blocking access.  Seat guru is no help because it doesn't show configuration BA is showing me.

Can't look at the other flights for seating until I choose for first flight ........ arghh

thank you in advance

Karen

Edited by kjquilts

14 hours ago, mauimary said:

We are also from Portland.  Spent the night at the TWA hotel in JFK over Thanksgiving before an early flight and just loved the whole experience!  My husband, who is big on "WE NEED A NONSTOP FLIGHT" even said he would consider a stopover if we could stay there again.

• Thanks 1

Karen- I have been on that LHR to PDX flight recently.  The best thing you can do to see the exact seat config is to go in to the BA website and get into your reservation to see exactly what metal you are flying.

Note: Unless you have a certain level of status they won't let ANYONE pick a seat in advance without paying, even regular economy seats.  My family is all OneWorld Ruby (lowest status) and we were in Business, we still would have had to pay to select seats in advance, although we were allowed a week out I believe.  You may however, choose a seat for a price.  

Oh- And Seatguru is defunct.  You can click through the BA site and select seats and then quit before payment if you just want to look around.

Edited by ilovesalchows

15 minutes ago, ilovesalchows said:

Karen- I have been on that LHR to PDX flight recently.  The best thing you can do to see the exact seat config is to go in to the BA website and get into your reservation to see exactly what metal you are flying.

Note: Unless you have a certain level of status they won't let ANYONE pick a seat in advance without paying, even regular economy seats.  My family is all OneWorld Ruby (lowest status) and we were in Business, we still would have had to pay to select seats in advance, although we were allowed a week out I believe.  You may however, choose a seat for a price.  

on my reservation BAC website is letting us choose seats and it says no fee.  Only flight I can see configuration for is first flight.  Can’t proceed without choosing seats.

I was surprised we are being given the option as we have no status with BA.

Edited by kjquilts

4 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

on my reservation BAC website is letting us choose seats and it says no fee.  Only flight I can see configuration for is first flight.  Can’t proceed without choosing seats.

That is odd.  Did you just get the results?  Since NCL buys in bulk maybe it is still in process.

At any rate, you are on an A319 for the second flight.  Check out Aerolopa.com for seat maps.  

BA reservation says  All passengers must have a seat before you can continue

The question is for this particular flight BA266 or BA0266 which rows of seats have equipment boxes underneath them.   Since we're not checking bag and we're traveling for almost two weeks we need to be able to put a bag underneath seat in front of us.   Is there any way to tell?

Edited by kjquilts